How many languages do you know?

David

English obviously. Then I took 2 years of Spanish in High School, none of which stuck. I can pretty much just tell the number and person of verbs. I've also taken 2 semesters of Latin in college, which is cool except it's obviously useless since it's a dead language. Guess it might help if I ever need to learn a Romance language, but eh. 4 semesters is a university requirement.

English, lol. Like 8+ years of Irish. Second year of German. Done a year of French last year, had to drop it (or keep and drop German).

Oh and a tiny bit of Korean because I have been training in TaeKwonDo for almost 6 years and it originated in Korea, have to learn a lot more when I'm 16 though...

It always amazes me how much multiple languages are pushed in Europe. I guess it's more important when there are so many different countries with their own languages right by, but still. Even though I only know one language I'm still far beyond most Americans, who only have a very basic understanding of their own language, much less others.

• Upvote 1

English. I learnt Japanese for a couple of years in high school (yr 7 and 8) I've forgotten most of it other than the basics, I also learned a bit more from anime/manga.

I also know a few Chinese (Mandarin) words, definitely not enough to hold conversation (even though I have had people come up to me at performances and try to speak to me in Chinese, which puzzles me since I'm white and they're are other members of my team who are Chinese so obviously far more likely to speak Mandarin).

I've actually always thought Latin would be useful to know, since I'm a science student, it would make scientific terms (particularly Biol) easier to remember.

English. I learnt Japanese for a couple of years in high school (yr 7 and 8) I've forgotten most of it other than the basics, I also learned a bit more from anime/manga.

I also know a few Chinese (Mandarin) words, definitely not enough to hold conversation (even though I have had people come up to me at performances and try to speak to me in Chinese, which puzzles me since I'm white and they're are other members of my team who are Chinese so obviously far more likely to speak Mandarin).

I've actually always thought Latin would be useful to know, since I'm a science student, it would make scientific terms (particularly Biol) easier to remember.

I thought the same thing, but the language classes are extremely grammar and structure heavy, definitely more so than any other language I've had experience with. We don't study roots much, so an etymology class would probably be far more helpful for that sort of thing.

English obviously. Then I took 2 years of Spanish in High School, none of which stuck. I can pretty much just tell the number and person of verbs. I've also taken 2 semesters of Latin in college, which is cool except it's obviously useless since it's a dead language. Guess it might help if I ever need to learn a Romance language, but eh. 4 semesters is a university requirement.

Apro po.

Dunno how its spelt, but thats about all the latin i know.

French and German.  VERY small amounts, and mostly useless things like "Mushrooms" or "Which way to the stadium"

zzz

Dutch, obviously, really really good at it too (as in better than the average Dutch or Belgian person)

English; since I started playing video games, which was at like age 6 (I'm 21 now) + 2 years in primary school + 6 years in high school? + 2 years in university

German ; 6 years 'experience' + I'm quite interested in this language; I used to watch German war movies without subtitles and stuff

Took French lessons for like 3 years, but I really hated the crap out of everything that has something to do with the French language or French culture, so I only remember the basics.

Very basic Spanish

Very very basic Japanese (used to do Kyokushin Karate)

No Latin though, I dropped Latin.

I've been thinking about learning Japanese to assist my path to a Game Design career. Anyone know how hard it is to learn?

From my experience its fairly difficult, and probably something you'll actually have to want to know (as in you actually find it interesting rather than you just think its useful so that you can persevere with it). The reason its so difficult is that you have to not only learn new words and letters but you have to learn several different alphabets essentially (katakana, hiragana etc)

Then there's all the different meanings to words, and if you wanted to be able to speak it (which I imagine you would) then you also have to be aware that the way you pronounce words can completely change what they mean. There are also characters that act kind of like punctuation and/or conjunctive words. The example I was taught is that the sentence "I ate a small fish" can be changed to "the small fish ate me" based solely on where you put the characters "wa" and "no" (or something like that).

Anyway, not discouraging you, if you want to do it you definitely should, just wanted to inform you based on my experiences.

• 2 weeks later...