The Different Types of Gamers

Jake

A very well crafted article. I had quite a few laughs at the "how to find one" descriptions of each type.I don't really know what I'd call myself. I may have been hardcore at one point, but I've found myself slowly moving away from video games. I don't play them much anymore, though when I do I'm certainly not casual. If there was a Hardcore Lite, I'd probably award that to my former self.

From the descriptions you gave (and very good ones at that) I felt, that I would mostly be Hardcore, however I can be Genre, I'm mashed in with Online gamers and While being Hardcore, achievements always tend to make me feel a little better in my perfectionist vision of 100%ing a game to play it's fullest.

I don't play them much anymore, though when I do I'm certainly not casual. If there was a Hardcore Lite, I'd probably award that to my former self.

A joke for a later time my friend... lol

Pretty much nailed Wannabe Gamer on the head with that picture. Really nice article, Squishy.

The picture of the Online Gamer is what I originally had, because, ironically, I think he fits into there more than online gamer. However, I believe Trag's picture he put there instead works much better.

Not really sure what category I would label myself... possibly somewhere in the hardcore and casual area... I don't play a large variety of games, but I guess any game I can get my hands on that is worthy of being called a true game would be where I would go, possibly a Hardcore Lite like Traaginen! I more into the gaming for the experience, such as the story or possibly graphics and maybe it being rated some of the best games.

I've thought about it a bit, and I think I've come up with the "in-between casual and hardcore" category that a lot of people are talking about.I generally only buy/play the triple AAA titles; the biggest games of every year. With that in mind, I play all of the AAA titles across a wide range of genres: shooters, RPG's, Action/Adventure, etc. After those, I play maybe a few more "niche" games like NCAA Football that are specific to my interests.I don't know what I'd call that, but yeah.

• Upvote 1

I generally only buy/play the triple AAA titles; the biggest games of every year. With that in mind, I play all of the AAA titles across a wide range of genres: shooters, RPG's, Action/Adventure, etc. After those, I play maybe a few more "niche" games like NCAA Football that are specific to my interests.I don't know what I'd call that, but yeah.

Maybe just "Regular Gamer"? Not so sure about that as the term "regular" is relative to the people and crowd who say it.

I think i would fit best in the "online gamer" category. I do appreciate storytelling and the campaign aspect of a game but love strategy, tactics and just overall analytics. Knowing what dpi/sens to use, how to position a team on a map and even your physical position relative to the screen and mouse to optimize gameplay, i find very interesting :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Casual gamer here, I guess, with definite obsessive tendencies towards Skyrim and the Fallout series. I won't play for months and then I'll get sucked in all over again. Something about those wide-open range games that just pull me in. I used to play Farmville, but that was more out of a need for visual Xanax than anything else (No, I did not take an arrow to the knee, ending my farming career). Love Little Big Planet when playing with my son, and Infinity Blade II when I'm on the go. Halo and Black Ops are fun when I'm in a "if you can't beat'em, join'em" frame of mind.

Guest Guest

I was a hardcore gamer until 2001 when I became a mom. Then I was only hardcore anything after 8 pm when the kids went to bed. Then in 2006 I got married (yea I realize I may have done things in the wrong order) and realized that being married means you have to share the tv after 8pm. It was tragic but I became a casual gamer and learned to love boxing on the wii with my kids during the day.

This would make me an online/casual gamer. I enjoy single player games but mostly prepher online multi-player games, ex, mass effect, borderlands, call of duty, diablo, little big planet, dynasty warriors, infamous.

Mass Effect, Infamous, and arguably Dynasty Warriors and Diablo are single player games...Infamous doesn't even have multiplayer.

Heh, I must admitt I really enjoyed this thread the explanations and "How to find one" are the best part of it.If i were to categorize myself I'd also be somewhere between Casual and Hardcore and sadly with a little bit of MMORPG Gamer.I only add MMORPG in there because I know far too much about to the point where I'm actually saddened :( <-- Sad HenryFor instance think about this:If your brain were comparable to a hard drive, Imagine how much room Runescape knowledge is taking up currently.THINK OF ALL THE THINGS WE COULD HAVE FILLED OUR HEADS WITH INSTEAD.:3