RPG recommendations

Aliath

Here are two amazing games for the RPG fanatic.

Phantasy Star Online

Let me start by saying that Phantasy Star Universe is a bunch of crap.

This, dear reader, is my favorite game of all time. Released in 2000, this Dreamcast game (which has been ported to the PC, Gamecube, and others) was the first of it's kind: An online console game. Don't be put off by it's release date, though-- the PC version looks better and has been updated, so to speak (new class, etc) and the game itself has aged beautifully. You wouldn't be able to tell that it's so old (well, most of the time.) The gameplay, storyline, music and artwork are all amazing.

It's an online fantasy/futuristic RPG, but by no means is it an MMO. Players start out in a lobby where they begin a game (with up to three other players, which is recommended), which then teleports them to the spaceship/colony PIONEER II. From there, they can access shops, an infirmary, a bank, etc. But the main attraction is the teleporter which beams you down to the surface -or subterranean levels, depending on how far you've progressed- of the planet Ragol. Now, onto classes.

Classes are divided into three categories: Hunters (melee weapons), Rangers (ranged weapons) and Force (techniques, or magic.) Each category allows you to choose between several classes divided between three races: Humans (ability to learn techniques, can be poisoned/paralyzed), CAST (cannot learn techniques, can see traps, immune to poison/paralysis) and Newmans (like humans, but are more apt with techniques.) The game allows for much customization, and you can even download your own custom skin.

This game is free.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5j7Pd2oXM&feature=related

And here's a look at the much-anticipated Phantasy Star Online 2.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwDq7K1Ij9s

Demon's Souls

Not for the faint of heart. Some of you have probably heard of this critically-acclaimed game renowned for it's sheer difficulty. Veterans of RPGs only. You're in for a lot of frustration and tension.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnEzkbdTa0I

I like the weird boob enlargement in the second video, but dislike all the Japanese. Regarding the third video, I don't have a PS3 sadly. Looks mighty fun though. I'm in need of a new possible MMORPG to get me out of the mood of WoW.

It's a Japanese game, like many other beloved RPGs. There is no English trailer because, like most Japanese games, it'll be released there first. There will be an English version, rest assured.AND IT ISN'T AN MMO!!! xD

Play the first ones at least 2 and 3 for snes. (1 wasnt the greatest at all but the roots of ff) You can use roms and emulators to play on your pc. If you can handle the low graphics. But those were the best rpg's of that time, after those final fantasy went down hill. Final Fantasy tactics was alright though tbh. I played 7 but I didnt care too much for it due to it being a completely different gamestyle.

Play the first ones at least 2 and 3 for snes. (1 wasnt the greatest at all but the roots of ff) You can use roms and emulators to play on your pc. If you can handle the low graphics. But those were the best rpg's of that time, after those final fantasy went down hill. Final Fantasy tactics was alright though tbh. I played 7 but I didnt care too much for it due to it being a completely different gamestyle.

Im with ya deus, i got my dads old snes and ff2 and 3 with it. Definently some of my fav games. Also im so pumped for skyrim and i also play alot of rpgs on my ipod touch

Let's hear it for Oblivion and Skyrim! Skyrim is going to be AMAZING. So pumped for it. Bethesda deserves every award they get for the Elder Scroll Series. Beautifully made.

Skyrim looks amazing. I love the prospect of being able to play in third-person mode without it being retarded. :P

• 6 months later...

My recommendations:Dragon Age: Origins-Deep story, deep characters, deep gameplay, it's my all time favorite game.Skyrim-This is obvious.Shadow of the Colossus-Not exactly an RPG, but no less than a masterpiece an RPG gamer can appreciate.FInal Fantasy XIII-Very average game, but its cheap nowadays, and you could probably squeeze 50+ hours of gameplay out of it for its $20 cost.