Photo

Is riding horses a sport? Riders are athletes?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts
Gaming is not a sport, and gamers are not athletes. This is literally the first I've ever even heard this come up. Sweating/heart rates are not a measure of physical assertion. Is taking a calculus test a sport? Does seeing someone you have a crush on make you an athlete?Physical activity can be measured with calories burned / time frame.

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

CarnivalofSoulz

CarnivalofSoulz

• 80 Posts

Gaming is not a sport, and gamers are not athletes. This is literally the first I've ever even heard this come up. Sweating/heart rates are not a measure of physical assertion. Is taking a calculus test a sport? Does seeing someone you have a crush on make you an athlete?Physical activity can be measured with calories burned / time frame.

oh here we go again. let the fight begin lmao

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts

Cheerleading takes no physical exertion? You try doing a double somersault after someone THROWS you into the air while landing on your feet. Sounds pretty physical to me. In fact it sounds more physical than some Olympic 'sports' you see at times.

A federal court actually ruled that cheerleading wasn't a sport as the debate came up when a school dropped it's volleyball team in favor of a cheerleading squad.http://sports.yahoo....-155124994.htmlI know they have events and stuff, but for the most part, I consider it a preforming art type deal, like dance and the likes.

Also, how much physical exertion is needed for it to be a sport? I mean, I know I get physically tired after playing Battlefield for a few hours. My fingers hurt, my eyes hurt, my heart rate has risen.Also, for the record. Pro-gamers are called athletes last I checked. Since they are playing what is considered an 'e-sport' by the general public now.

And this is the grey area that I hate. I really do see how gaming, and other touchy subjects like professional poker, can be considered a sport as it does take some degree of skill to do either and you have events, rules, etc. The same can be said about cheerleading, but that is where a line has to be drawn. So I can understand either side of the debate.But regardless of what a dictionary says, I don't think if you play a sport, you are automatically an athlete.

Jake

Jake

• 826 Posts

Cheerleading takes no physical exertion? You try doing a double somersault after someone THROWS you into the air while landing on your feet. Sounds pretty physical to me. In fact it sounds more physical than some Olympic 'sports' you see at times.Also, for the record. Pro-gamers are called athletes last I checked. Since they are playing what is considered an 'e-sport' by the general public now.

Cheerleading does take physical exertion, but it doesn't have objective scoring. It's based on the judge's opinion. I'm not trying to disrespect it, I'm just saying that it is not a sport.And I have never heard someone call a pro gamer an "athlete." In fact, I hope that doesn't happen. I've kind of liked the rivalry between video game and sports fans, and don't want to see the two groups mix.

what about darts, snooker, javelin, shotput even high jump? do you consider them athletes?

Darts-NoSnooker-don't know what that isJavelin-yesShotput-yesHigh jump-yesDarts don't have enough exercise involved.

Brad

Brad

• 1,455 Posts

Javelin-yesShotput-yesHigh jump-yesDarts don't have enough exercise involved.

Sorry but neither do those 3? High jump is 5 steps and a jump big whoop, shotput a spin and a throw, javelin a short sprint and a throw. How can you say they have enough exercise involved?

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts
Not sure about high jump or javelin, but shot put definitely does take physical exertion if you want to be any good. Especially considering how far I threw it when I was just lulzying around at highschool.

Jake

Jake

• 826 Posts

Not sure about high jump or javelin, but shot put definitely does take physical exertion if you want to be any good. Especially considering how far I threw it when I was just lulzying around at highschool.

Ah yes, I remember having those events in middle school. I was so terrible, that I probably would have been embarrassed if my mind worked that way.

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts
High Jump and Javelin both require waaay more skill than shotput, at least on amateur levels. Shot put, meanwhile, is generally populated by nothing more than the biggest (and not necessarily muscular if you know what I mean) girls (especially) and guys up, until the college level. If you're actually good and do it correctly, it is an athletic feat. It requires a great deal of strength in both the arms and core. The vast majority, though, simply arm-punt the shot incorrectly. This is as sporting as me throwing my PS3 controller against the wall.I just have an axe to grind because my track team always had 5-6 overweight people who did nothing but shot put half-assedly. I was always overloaded with more events than I should have because of their lazy asses.

Jake

Jake

• 826 Posts
We had our own "Olympics" in middle school, and everyone had to participate in at least 3 or so events. I figured shot put would be good because I had above average body strength. I was wrong.On another note, they DID have Guitar Hero and Rock Band, which I thought was kind of cool. The Guitar Hero one was biased, though, as people could choose any song they wanted to. Therefore, the worst GH player I've ever seen chooses Easy and then chooses the longest song in the game.

Brad

Brad

• 1,455 Posts
So clearly if you think there sports then exercise levels don't matter? Because they don't, it's like shooting, archery all those sports. There still athletes

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

So clearly if you think there sports then exercise levels don't matter? Because they don't, it's like shooting, archery all those sports. There still athletes

Didn't say they were sports, but I agree with Blexun that participating in some sports doesn't make you an athlete (if you just define a sport as a compitetion).I guess I kind of think of it like this...Activity - Running race, basketball, darts, chess, studying.vCompetition - Running race, basketball, darts, chess.vSport - Running race, Basketball, etc (strenuous physical activity)

Huygens

Huygens

• 1,271 Posts
Agreed, Nascar isnt a sport.As for the horse riding, yes it's a sport, have you seen the average ass on a woman that frequently rides a horse? It's damn good.

Tynisa

Tynisa

• 761 Posts
Why does this need classifying?If people come together to play a game/sport/activity/etc together that they all enjoy, and in the end there is a winner of said game, why can we not just be happy with that being a good thing?Putting people into categories is what generally causes problems in the first place.Religion

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts

Why does this need classifying?

So I will be stopped when I try to create the USFL.United States Fapping League.

CarnivalofSoulz

CarnivalofSoulz

• 80 Posts

Sorry but neither do those 3? High jump is 5 steps and a jump big whoop, shotput a spin and a throw, javelin a short sprint and a throw. How can you say they have enough exercise involved?

your gonna say that a high jump doesnt have enough physical exertion to be a sport? im pretty sure that doin a high jump isnt that simple dude... my guess that it would take alot of energy to do that because you wrk almost all your muscels to do so

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com