RIP Jack Layton

Aliath

He was, until very recently, leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada, which is the Official Opposition.

The NDP is a social-democratic party. Here's a list of some of its principles and policies, taken from Wikipedia.

[*]Gender equality and equal rights for LGBT residents

[*]Improving environmental protection through government regulations

[*]National water safety standards

[*]Increasing corporate taxes[6]

[*]Reducing poverty in Canada[7]

[*]Aggressive human rights protection

[*]Expanding funding for public transportation

[*]Expanding public health care, including dental and prescription drug coverage

[*]Social assistance policies that reflects citizens' needs and assist their re-entry to the work force

[*]Abolishing the unelected Senate of Canada and ensuring more proportional representation[8]

[*]Workers' rights including raising the minimum wage to pace the cost of living

[*]Aboriginal peoples' treaty, land, and constitutional rights

[*]A foreign policy that emphasizes diplomacy, peacekeeping, and humanitarian aid instead of offensive military action

[*]Renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

[*]One wing is focused on ending the Canadian War on Drugs and legalizing recreational drugs[9]

[*]Lowering taxes for small businesses

Jack Layton was a truly amazing guy. Very charismatic and optimistic... There aren't many politicians like him.

Heard the news last night, saw the final quote, became saddened but more concerned for how you'd handle this, Aliath. All this time I had expected Hitchens to devastate you by dying sooner than anyone else. Read my introduction, I'm back and I wish to make amends with you again. I finally realized what you finally realized a bit earlier than I did.