Photo

RuneScape's 30 Second Log In Advertisements

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Snuggles

Snuggles

• 152 Posts

Oh, Snuggles, how angry you have made me.You contradicted yourself by saying Runescape is for casual gamers, then calling it the hardcore version of Farmville. Plus, although I WILL admit it is a gateway MMO, it's still more hardcore than many, many other games on the market.Anyway, now that I think about it, I guess you kind of have a point. It's a bit sad that the common man has gotten involved in the industry. Now the men in suits are taking massive dumps on all of our childhoods.

No, I said it's the Hardcore gamers version of Farmville. As in, it's something simple and easy to do to pass the time in-between playing a real game. Just like people who sit on Facebook all day play Farmville as they wait for a response from someone or for someone to post something interesting ( Like that ever happens. Lulz ). It's something you can click and then walk away from, or if you find yourself having a little extra time than you thought. You can go level combat or pk or something. Runescape, in reality, is about as shallow as a shower.If you want to get technical though... Any game can be considered a hardcore game if the right group gets into it. Look at SSBB ( Super Smash Brothers Brawl). The makers purposely added the tripping ability in that game for the simple reason they didn't want it played as a competitive game. They wanted it to be a fun party game. Well guess what, it's still a competitive fighter. Even if the rest of the Fighting Game Community see it as a joke. SSBB has more people playing it competitively than some of the new fighters being released today. The community is what made that game.The problem here is, Runescape has no serious players anymore. All of the serious players have moved on years ago to something more interesting. There is no real long term goal for this game and there never was, It's just meant to kill time. The way the game was built, bots have destroyed any possible chance of this game being taken seriously.Jagex knew they couldn't compete with the bigger games at the time like Diablo or Everquest. So they took the core idea of an MMO, and condensed it into what is known as Runescape. The grinding, time consuming monster it is and always will be.Like I mentioned before. For a game, especially a web browser based game, to last this long. Is truly amazing and shows that the mechanics of the game are solid. The only thing keeping it alive though is the casual gamer who doesn't have the time to play WoW or GW2.

TEAM FORTRESS 2!!@!@#!@#@!#

In my defense, TF2 does start off at $10 I believe. You are right though. All updates/dlc/packs/etc are all free for download ( if I remember correctly ). It's also run almost entirely by the fans though. I'm sure every day there is a new mod being created for the game because someone came out with a new game type.The difference here is that Valve encourages people to play with the coding of their games. To mod them to their hearts content. They find something they like, and they advertise it for that person. Why make new content when you can have the fans do it for you? It's not only good for their business, but good for the community as well. This is why I think Valve is one of the best developers on the market and always will be.

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

Jake

Jake

• 826 Posts

In my defense, TF2 does start off at $10 I believe.

Actually, they dropped the price to free about a year ago. My computer is a piece of crap, so I unfortunately can't run it.

Snuggles

Snuggles

• 152 Posts

Actually, they dropped the price to free about a year ago. My computer is a piece of crap, so I unfortunately can't run it.

Damn, well.... I stand corrected. Valve proves again why they are the best in the business and hopefully the defibrillator that will resurrect the gaming industry for the hardcore gamer.

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts
Yeah it's free with a limited drop system (pretty much means you won't get hats, which don't do anything anyway). And with a 5 dollar purchase you get every update free for life.They recently released Mann v.s Machine, which is basically like Zombies on COD, but robots.But this is off topic.

Tynisa

Tynisa

• 761 Posts
Long post, didnt read it all.30 seconds of an advert to play for over an hour - at least. I cant be bothered to do the maths, but i'm sure its still near 99.8% of your time spent actually playing the game, not watching adverts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com