The Dark Knight Rises - Was Selina Kyle (Catwoman) A Lesbian?

David

I just watched TDKR last night. Great movie, although like all others it had a few issues. I might do a larger write-up on the rest of it later, but for now I just want to hit this since there seems to be a lack of discussion of it on the internets.Anne Hathaway really did a good job in the movie. If you remember my earlier threads, I was apalled they were going to try to bring someone as unrealistic as "Catwoman" into the movie. Fortunately it was done well.Anyways, Selina has this blonde female friend that hangs around her throughout the movie. At first she seems like a pretty generic side-kick/friend, although after a couple scenes of increasing "friendliness" she is shown to be hugging Selina from behind in a pretty intimate shot. At this moment I thought to myself, "Well, they're clearly banging or together."I later looked up who her character (the blonde's) was supposed to be interpreted as and it appeared to be Holly Robinson, who is shown to be openly gay in the Catwoman comics.Due to the end of the movie (which I won't go into details for spoiler purposes), we know that she PROBABLY isn't a lesbian. But bisexual? Maybe. Also, what the hell happened to the blonde friend?Thoughts?

Catwoman's not a lesbian, lol, just affectionate? Like any kitty, until they get tired of you. x]

Watching the few scenes she was in, I thought the blonde girl had a....

Harley Quinn

...-esque to her. *sigh* It's hard to speculate without dishing out spoilers.

Definitely want to watch TDKR again.. At least 6 more times.

Edited by Tcee

Trying to navigate the incoming TDKR topics without running into spoilers.That being said, I haven't seen it. But Tcee did lead me to believe Harley Quinn was in it, which I'm not sure is true or not. If she is, then I'm excited, though that doesn't make sense.Edit: Nevermind. Deleted the gif. Too big.

Checked the credits, the blonde is Holly Robison portrayed by Juno Temple (wiki confirms role). Sadly there's no Harley Quinn for you.Back on topic - this thread has had a constant 6+ people on it all day, so clearly other people must have thought the same thing. Where there's smoke, maybe there's fire? Juno/Holly's entire role in the movie seemed really pointless to me. Almost like the only point was to raise these types of questions since nothing was added to the plot besides a cameo.

Her mannerisms reminded me of her, but it would be hard to fit her in the movie.Anyways, sorry if I got your hopes up. & sorry for not putting up a spoiler, didn't think it was necessary, but added now..Maybe she was just included for more sex-appeal. She's freakin' adorable<3

Anyways, sorry if I got your hopes up. & sorry for not putting up a spoiler, didn't think it was necessary, but added now..

No need for a spoiler, I just thought Harley Quinn made some kind of appearance from what you said, but that wouldn't make sense considering the story.

She's freakin' adorable<3

o.OBut I guess what David said was true. Probably just to spark conversation and debates and maybe tribute the Holly Robinson character. All I know is David has a knack for these kind of discussions. First the Assassin's Creed conversation, now this.

Just finished my large article, The Dark Knight Rises - Plot Holes and Problems, in which I hit upon this as one of the minor gripes I had with the sub-plots in the movie.At the end of the day, I'd have to guess Holly was just there for fan service. The hug was weird and out of place for the general viewer, maybe, but the openly gay thing is a large part of Holly's character, and the comic fans that follow those things would be upset if it wasn't included.

I guess they put her in just to hint at the second catwoman (plus in canon Holy has pretty much always been Selina's reason for becoming Catwoman and was basically the only person she trusted early on),

sort of similar to the way the hinted at the next Robin,

which of course is all pointless since its the end of this storyline.I never thought about these sorts of things (ie. not knowing who certain characters were) but I know that's only because I was exposed to batman way more than most people ever since I was born. (My dad has what is probably an unhealthy obsession with Batman) So I know this stuff is definitely not obvious to the casual viewer, maybe its something they put in as a sort of nod to the comic book fans who would recognise her.

• 4 months later...

I thought Holly was the Jokers side kick from the cartoon

Your thinking of Harley Quinn (real name Harleen Quinzell), it would have been cool to see her in a movie since shes such an interesting character, but she's a relatively new character (her first appearance was in the 90s in the cartoon and it was a fair bit later before she was in the comics)

Guest kaitlynnarnett

Trying to navigate the incoming TDKR topics without running into spoilers.That being said, I haven't seen it. But Tcee did lead me to believe Harley Quinn was in it, which I'm not sure is true or not. If she is, then I'm excited, though that doesn't make sense.Edit: Nevermind. Deleted the gif. Too big.

Your thinking of Harley Quinn (real name Harleen Quinzell), it would have been cool to see her in a movie since shes such an interesting character, but she's a relatively new character (her first appearance was in the 90s in the cartoon and it was a fair bit later before she was in the comics)

:( i was really hoping it was Harley... god Keith Ledger why did you have to die?! killed Harley only chances of being on screen>.<

:( i was really hoping it was Harley... god Keith Ledger why did you have to die?! killed Harley only chances of being on screen>.<

Theres not going to be anymore Batman movies in this continuity anyway (which makes it really weird that they seemed to be setting up things for future plot lines). I've heard that there is going to be a new Batman movie (starting from scratch, and its meant to be more child friendly) to go along with Man of Steel and some other DC movies to eventually do something similar to the avangers but with the justice league.