PC Builds/Setups

Fergal

My current computer isn't worth talking about, seriously. But in some time, my parents are buying me a gaming PC for about €1000, building it completely myself.

So, what specs do ye guys have? (Start -> Run -> "dxdiag" -> Shows relevant info)

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4

Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance (2x4)

PSU: Corsair TX650

GPU: MSI R7870 2GB

HDD: 1TB WD

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Monitor: Samsung 21.5" (5ms, 1920x1080/HD)

i7 processor is overkill for gaming only, and I'm overclocking the 3570k anyway. Anything more than 8gb ram is overkill for gaming only too. Went with AMD graphics card instead of nVidia because of AMD's lastest drivers, they match nVidia which is overpriced. Might get an SDD too for my OS.

I'll probably get a new PC this summer. Tried to buy a Dell Laptop, even though Dell is awful, because due to a mistake they made with coupons you could get an i7 + 12/16 GBs of RAM for like $800. When I finally decided to buy it they had caught on, unfortunately.

I always wait for the great deals before buying expensive technology, so that deal is my standard now. Will wait until something that good comes along again, which will probably be this summer. Want more than 8 gigs to future proof it a bit.

I'll probably get a new PC this summer. Tried to buy a Dell Laptop, even though Dell is awful, because due to a mistake they made with coupons you could get an i7 + 12/16 GBs of RAM for like $800. When I finally decided to buy it they had caught on, unfortunately.

I always wait for the great deals before buying expensive technology, so that deal is my standard now. Will wait until something that good comes along again, which will probably be this summer. Want more than 8 gigs to future proof it a bit.

You could probably just build your PC and save a ton. Although some PCs might look cheap with fancy processors and ram, they always go cheap with the motherboard and most importantly, the power supply. And anything more than 8 gigs is isn't really necessary unless you are doing a lot of video editing/rendering etc. Besides, far too easy to install ram to worry about future proof.

You could probably just build your PC and save a ton. Although some PCs might look cheap with fancy processors and ram, they always go cheap with the motherboard and most importantly, the power supply. And anything more than 8 gigs is isn't really necessary unless you are doing a lot of video editing/rendering etc. Besides, far too easy to install ram to worry about future proof.

Upgrading much is too much of a pain in the ass if it's a laptop. Also, I've never really believed you can save a ton of money by building a PC yourself. The large manufacturers buy things in bulk to the extent that if you wait for a "great" overall deal it will probably be just as good as buying things separately on sale. Of course that's not always the case if you're willing to wait for deals.

Upgrading much is too much of a pain in the ass if it's a laptop. Also, I've never really believed you can save a ton of money by building a PC yourself. The large manufacturers buy things in bulk to the extent that if you wait for a "great" overall deal it will probably be just as good as buying things separately on sale. Of course that's not always the case if you're willing to wait for deals.

If you can find a PC with similar specs as the one I have that costs less than about €1000, be my guest. I bet you it'll appear cheaper because as I said earlier, shit motherboard, power supply and probably a case with terrible airflow. On top of that, stock cooling. If you look around online, you will find things cheap. And upgrading RAM is simple in a laptop.

Of course upgrading RAM is simple in a laptop, but I said that "much," not RAM, lol. It took me 6+ hours just to replace my display and cosmetics are still fucked from it.

I think we're talking about two different things. I know there is no way 99.9% of people, including myself, can build a laptop from scratch period, much less at a rate that saves money. Any parts you buy would have to be specifically designed and in production for already existing cases, so there's no escaping a "shit motherboard/power supply/case/etc" that isn't already being used by Dell, HP, etc.

PC's are a different story.

Processor: AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics    (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz (This isnt a CPU its a APU, it has graphics built into the processor, instead of it being built into the MB) (FM2)
Memory: 8192MB RAM Cruical's special brew
MB: Gigabyte F2A85XM-D2H (FM2)
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PSU: bequiet 630w thing with a fuck off big fan
SSD: Samsung 128gb

i need to get a few hdd's and raid them together at somepoint.
but right now, this runs SWTOR, LoL, RS, Hitman, GTAIV/EFLC perfectly on max specs so im not complaining :)

also david, building a pc is cheaper, because its got what you want in it, not what a shop thinks is good enough, its something you can make and feel accomplished by finishing it, also you dont need to go back to the place you got it if it all fucks up, you just change the part thats broken and thats that, its not just about the price being cheaper, its the long term development you have put into it

Of course upgrading RAM is simple in a laptop, but I said that "much," not RAM, lol. It took me 6+ hours just to replace my display and cosmetics are still fucked from it.

I think we're talking about two different things. I know there is no way 99.9% of people, including myself, can build a laptop from scratch period, much less at a rate that saves money. Any parts you buy would have to be specifically designed and in production for already existing cases, so there's no escaping a "shit motherboard/power supply/case/etc" that isn't already being used by Dell, HP, etc.

PC's are a different story.

Oh nevermind then, but yeah - Laptops are a bitch to upgrade. But with regards to actual desktops, I find little reason not to build it yourself, and besides, it's fun if you know what you're at, "lego for adults". My point is people with not an awful lot of PC knowledge think just - "Oh, an i7 processor and lots of ram!", great but that's all a waste if the PSU is shit and will eventually fry your hardware, not to mention, probably prevent any future upgrades without upgrading the PSU too.

Also, thoughts on SSD? Was thinking about getting a relatively small one and slapping my OS on it, but they cost so damn much.

• 2 months later...

Got my PC build yesterday, aweseomsauce. Bit different to the one I originally posted though, got FX-8350 CPU, Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 and a MSI GTX 660. Also slightly changed monitor, PSU and case - and added a 128gb SSD boot drive.

Were both builds ~$1000? What was the difference in price?

I've never used a SSD myself, let me know how fast that sucker boots. :)

Well actually because I needed to get a monitor and everything else, used no old parts besides mouse + keyboard (need to get a gaming mouse, this one is having that ol' problem if randomly reconnecting and disconnecting every 2 seconds, literally) - and was about 1100 EURO, but keep in mind that I could have built it in much less in the US with Newegg.

Other one was around the same, cheaper processor but the motherboards were basically the same. AMD are cheaper, but I got a better quality one.

Oh and god how I love this SSD, didn't consider it at first because they got so much, but I already feel like I couldn't go back. ;)

• 3 weeks later...