Hearthfire Kitchen help?

Death Knight

Question

So, I finally made the perfect family house. Full blown kitchen, bedrooms, and a trophy room to display my hunting prowess. Then I decided to cook supper. & I realized I cant milk my cow for milk, the chicken egg takes like a week to respawn? & butter, how does one aquire this ? & Salt piles? oy vey..

I'm sure i could travel to whiterun & such to buy these ingrediants one, or two at a time maybe, but i tried killing my cow, no milk, but i did notice i had 7 milk in my cupboard in my kitchen, so does it restock over time? and how often? but chicken eggs, butter, salt piles, milk. Anyone know anything about how to obtain them easily, and possibly without buying them so i can live off the land entirely? Ive got the skyrim guide that includes DG & HF, but it's not much help.

15 answers to this question

hearthfire seems like its pretty awesome but heres a dumb question what is it?  an expansion?  a add on?  what does it allow you to do?  are there more quests?  

It's downloadable content (DLC) for Skyrim that allows you to build houses and own property. You get a lot of tasks that have to with that such as defending your home, upgrading it, etc that could count as quests.

It's not a full-blown expansion so I'd call it an add-on. 

It's Five dollars (not sure on currency conversions if that is a factor) but the add-on basically makes any house you could need to buy, a waste of money.  The only problem with this add-on is the amount of sheer materials required to make parts of these three houses. I would sadly recommend this add-on to higher level characters, as lower level ones won't exactly be able to enjoy it for a while. However, building your house as you go is incredibly fun and would make the game more fun.

Butter churn? i've never seen one before & I've decked my kitchen out. any help with chicken eggs by any chance?

It's in your kitchen, but I think it only appears when you furnish the kitchen with a drafting table. The churn only gives you one butter and then takes forever to respawn it, though (if ever). I was wrong in assuming you could just use it to make butter. Innkeepers and some general merchants do have some butter and milk under their food category.

You can get butter the following ways.

[*]Can be periodically collected from the churn in the Kitchen wing of a Homestead.

[*]One spawns on a table in the Kitchen wing when all furnishings have been added.

[*]Can be purchased from the following Innkeepers:

[*]Mralki at Frostfruit Inn located in Rorikstead

[*]Jonna at Moorside Inn located in Morthal

[*]Eydis at Old Hroldan Inn located in The Reach

As for chick eggs, you'll have to run around Skyrim collecting them. UESP has a pretty good list of locations.

Guest starman138

I have had the butter churn for over a month of game time, no respawn! Also, merchants do not seem to restock it (auto correct just tried to change respawn to testicles, funny). Again, these are merchants who have gone months of game time without it. Who knows...

Guest ExpressSet430

I have never seen a butter churn in my kitchen, but then again I still have the workbench in there. And using the wait function to force crops to regrow and merchants to restock can cause the game to glitch as if you haven't really waited(I used the wait function to often wait for stores and shops to open.... My game glitched and I had to wait until 11 o clock in game till I could buy). Not to mention some merchants restock after one day in game time and some merchants just don't carry what your looking for.