What is the "Purest" Sport?

David

Kind of goes off of my last thread in which we all argued about the definition of a sport and athlete. Anyways, here are my beliefs...1. Running (racing). The oldest sport (without getting into that definition debate again). Something that is 100% your own physical and mental ability, and what we as humans were designed to do in order to compete with eachother and other organisms. Not many know this, but although human's aren't the best sprinters we're fantastic long distance runners. Over very long distances, men often beat even the likes of horses (see Man vs. Horse races in England/Australia, or the science behind it). This is due to our ability to sweat (vs. panting) and our upright running position, which allows us to both eliminate heat and expose less of our body to the elements such as the hot sun.2. Swimming. At least as physically grueling as running, it's also 100% about your physical/mental ability. Minus points for being pretty pointless in evolutionary/biological settings, as humans are terrible swimmers and aren't designed for it at all. It's also more technique oriented, but less so than most other sports (basketball, etc).Notice that both of these things are also primarily based in physical fitness as opposed to something that trades (some or all of) that for pure skill/finesse (horse riding from the other thread, basketball as a less extreme example).

I don't really know what you mean by a pure sport?I'd quite like to say football though. The English kind of course.All you need is a cheap ball and you literally play anywhere. It brings nations together something running and swimming will never do in England anyway.If you ignore what it is today and look back 30/40 years. You will see real football. The days when the players used to paint there own club house and they played for there passion not there wallets.

The truest, most sporting sport. The sportiest of all sporty sports.

Like if being a sport was a sport, then the sport that I would choose would be the sportiest of all sports?You covered the bigguns, so I'll say boxing and a lot of other types of fighting. Physical strength to cause damage, endurance to withstand it, and reflexes to dodge and what not.

I still stand by Football then :P we just see sports differently haha

I assume football is your uppity, British way of saying soccer.I actually play a lot of soccer, but I wouldn't really call it the purest of sports. It's a lot of action going on, but for one part of the field at a time. Other times it's just me watching where the ball is, positioning myself, and trying to nonchalantly unstick my balls from my legs.This is when Fergal says how great Gaelic Football is. Then Ericblood talks about Norway or some crap we don't understand.

I assume football is your uppity, British way of saying soccer.I actually play a lot of soccer, but I wouldn't really call it the purest of sports. It's a lot of action going on, but for one part of the field at a time. Other times it's just me watching where the ball is, positioning myself, and trying to nonchalantly unstick my balls from my legs.This is when Fergal says how great Gaelic Football is. Then Ericblood talks about Norway or some crap we don't understand.

nah for me its more about the fan base not the actual playing, a sport is more the audience to me :P football just brings our nation together :) thats a pure sport to me

nah for me its more about the fan base not the actual playing, a sport is more the audience to me :P football just brings our nation together :) thats a pure sport to me

Oh yeah, love the fan base of soccer. Not including the angry rioting fan base of course.World Cup time is always the most fun. Watching soooo many games at my godfather's restaurant, eating free food and what not.

I'd quite like to say football though. The English kind of course.All you need is a cheap ball and you literally play anywhere. It brings nations together something running and swimming will never do in England anyway.

I can't stand sports, but I respect English football/American soccer because it brings people together. I feel the same way about the Olympics.My favorite sport to watch is fencing, but I wouldn't call that the "purest" sport by a long shot.As for the purest sport, let's not forget that sports were invented as a way to pit men's survival skills against each other. In that case, the purest sports would be running, archery, swimming, sparring, and other survival skill based events.