The Outcome Civil War in TES

People often wonder how exactly the role of the player in this questline is going to play into lore. Every TES game features a main series of events that the player is involved in that is afterwards inserted into canon and the official storyline of the TES universe. How then, can two paths with such drastically different outcomes be made to be the same in the next game? I've read a lot on it, and these are my thoughts.The original Emperor, Septim, was a dragonborn who united Tamriel into the Empire as it has been known in the last several TES games. In Skyrim, the player arises as the next dragonborn. The Emperor is killed during the Dark Brotherhood questline. The Empire is in ruins following the Great War, and the Thalmor are clearly ready to invade a second time.Taking all of this into consideration, perhaps it really doesn't matter who wins the civil war in Skyrim. The stage is set for the Dragonborn to continue on and unite the Empire all over again and defeat the Thalmor. Regardless of who is victorious in Skyrim, the inevitable war with the Thalmor is clearly going to overshadow and render the whole conflict moot. Skyrim and the rest of the provinces will either be forcibly split from the dissolved Empire or be forced to unite to defeat the Dominion.I'm writing two threads at once and lost my train of thought... meh. Will add more later.Main point: nothing done in the Civil War quest line is going to matter two shits.

The original Emperor, Septim, was a dragonborn who united Tamriel into the Empire as it has been known in the last several TES games. In Skyrim, the player arises as the next dragonborn. The Emperor is killed during the Dark Brotherhood questline. The Empire is in ruins following the Great War, and the Thalmor are clearly ready to invade a second time.

Taking all of this into consideration, perhaps it really doesn't matter who wins the civil war in Skyrim. The stage is set for the Dragonborn to continue on and unite the Empire all over again

Posted Image

It's kind of obvious now that you say it. I feel like I did when my cousin told me Harry Potter was a Horcrux 6 months before the final book came out. If that were to happen though, I don't see our character defeating the Thalmor, maybe weakening them and driving them out of the area a bit. I don't believe that Bethesda can introduce an enemy that big and complex to just do away with them inbetween games.

Yeah, it doesn't necessarily need to be the Dragonborn or even happen in this timeframe. That's why it's going to be interesting to see where they go with this "big" DLC, though, since that will probably reveal a lot more. The Thalmor conflict is referenced waaaaaaay to much (constantly in every quest practically) to not even have any role whatsoever in Skyrim (directly anyways). It's just odd how it stands now.

• 2 months later...

Yea in the next game with the thalmor it could have a book that would say "with the dragonborn at their back they crushed their opponents" so whoever you chose they still had the dragon born at their back pretty much. I guess I mean they would make it very vague

Or....UPCOMING THALMOR DLC@#$@!#@!#@!#@!#!@#!!!!@#!@#@!#@!@