Gandalf's Fall: "Fly/Run You Fools!"

David

Gandalf's Words: Fly or Run  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What did you hear Gandalf utter to the fellowship before falling into the abyss, as a result of the balrog?

• Fly you fools!
    • Run you fools!

I had expected everyone to post "Run"... That's what most people, including myself, seemed to hear the first time they saw the movie. There's a huge online backlash of the proud LOTR nerds who read the books flipping out when someone makes the error. When you see a reference to it, people say "run" 99% of the time. I actually had no idea it was fly until I read about it a few years after the movie was released.

Yeah I see what you mean, human mind always automatically fixes language errors (grammar, volume) hence when people sill understand even if the sentence is out of wack or when something is said and you assume right.Yeah I was pretty big on LotR when it came out...tried reading the first book go to about 1 page of the prologue and closed the book it now sits on my desk collecting dust

I remember it being fly you fools when i first heard it cause im like really Gandalf...? fly WITH WHAT? then realized it was a figure of speech

"With what?" you ask?

Posted Image

That's what most people, including myself, seemed to hear the first time they saw the movie. There's a huge online backlash of the proud LOTR nerds who read the books flipping out when someone makes the error. When you see a reference to it, people say "run" 99% of the time. I actually had no idea it was fly until I read about it a few years after the movie was released.

Never knew it was such a big deal, lol. I just remember painting my bedroom with my Dad while watching the whole trilogy.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah that's what I thought too at one point....but then how would they get into contact with the eagles? only the brown wizard can talk to them...

It was a joke. The eagles wouldn't help because they refused to carry something so evil, according to the book anyway. So now you have a comeback to all those jokes.

Not sure if it's said out right, but in the book the eagles follow some Valar that prevent them from interacting in wars and such unless they want to. Besides this, you have to remember that Sauron has those Narguls (flying dragon things), he is able to paralyze by staring at people, and Frodo probably wouldn't of been able to build a resistance to the ring in that short flight. I mean Frodo carried the ring for months and still didn't willingly throw it in the fire at the end.

Frodo probably wouldn't of been able to build a resistance to the ring in that short flight.

That's why he had trouble at the end, though. I believe that the ring's effect on the bearer increased over time, making the long journey more dangerous. Hence Smeagle/Gollum's change.

Yeah true, I mean Frodo willingly handed it to Gandalf when he first had it in Bilbo's house. Then again, the person who first killed Sauron had the ring for a relatively short time, from the time he chopped off his hand to the walk up the volcano, and he still didn't throw it in.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you are right about what'shisface did turn evil rather quick, but don't they also say that humans are very weak for the ring, whilst hobbits aren't? I think hFrodo's attachment to the ring grew over time.I've still not seen all the extended editions, and I am ashamed... I was going to watch them as a marathon, as the extended editions answer so many questions, like what happened to Sauroman.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you are right about what'shisface did turn evil rather quick, but don't they also say that humans are very weak for the ring, whilst hobbits aren't? I think Frodo's attachment to the ring grew over time.

I've still not seen all the extended editions, and I am ashamed... I was going to watch them as a marathon, as the extended editions answer so many questions, like what happened to Sauroman.

Very true about humans being weak, but consider that Deagol found the ring while fishing with Smeagol (both of them hobbits). Smeagol, who didn't even come in contact with it, fought and murdered Deagol when he refused to give it to him. Also, Sam lingered a bit when handing the ring to Frodo (after Frodo was poisoned by the spider and taken to that Orc place). I think Frodo was just more strong willed than anybody else, who probably wouldn't of willingly taken the ring to its destruction as far as he did.

And as far as Saruman goes, he convinced the Ents to let him go after the ring was destroyed. He travels with Grima Wormtongue

Posted Image

to the Shire. When he arrives there, he sees that his men and Orcs have already taken it over, so he secretly starts governing it. Later Frodo and friends lead a rebellion, exposes Saruman's role in all of this, and takes back the Shire. They let him live, even though Frodo was almost killed by Saruman, but Wormtoungue kills Saruman after being kicked and abused again.

I would also like to apologize for once again aiding in a thread heading off topic, but you have to admit this is a high quality discussion.

Posted Image

• Upvote 1

I could literally split this into three different LOTR threads. Bravo, gentlmen.

This can just be the LOTR topic.

and yes your right and blexun is trolling the crap out of you

I'm not a cruel person D: I was talking about the books. Speaking of which, I'm kind of pumped to see The Hobbit :o
  • Upvote 1