ESO Subscription Model Announced
... We are very happy to finally announce our model. It's very simple - you pay once per month after the first 30 days and the entire game is available to you.
When asked if this older model could compete with recent free-to-play games that employ oft-despised "payment gateway" and "pay-to-win" systems, Firor responded that this was not in the spirit of the Elder Scrolls series.
We feel that putting pay gates between the player and content at any point in game ruins that feeling of freedom, and just having one small monthly fee for 100% access to the game fits the IP and the game much better than a system where you have to pay for features and access as you play.
Firor went on to explain specific details concerning the cost of the subscription system.
- Unlimited play for the first 30 days with the purchase of the game.
- Following the first month you'll pay a flat fee for continued, unlimited access to the game.
- Basic monthly charge will be $14.99/€12.99/£8.99.
- Expect discounts if you buy multiple months at a time.
- New content available every four to six weeks.
- Graphics, engine, content, etc., are all the same between the PC and console versions.
- There will be an open beta exclusive to the PS4 for a limited time.
- Time frame for console betas will be discussed early next year; this probably pushes back our previous estimated release dates.