Skill Database - Development Thread

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

I've started to work on skill tables, such as the ones seen here. As of now, only the first one is full; click the "+" to view all the descriptive information. They're eventually going to be added to every related informational page (e.g. the racial tables inserted into the race pages), so before I get too far ahead of myself I'm enlisting your help in a few things.

[*]Check the accuracy of the information as it's added.
    [*]Check to make sure the functionality is working.
    [*]Suggest improvements.
    [/list]

Known bugs:

[*][ Fixed ] Table columns aren't the same width, which leads to...
      [*][ Fixed ] Text in tables not word wrapping correctly.
      [*][ Fixed ] Table Toggle: it requires two clicks to open a second table consecutively.
      [*][ Fixed ] Table Toggle: no animation.
      [*][ Fixed ] Table Toggle: toggle individual cells, and then toggle the entire table - the table cell button markers don't show the correct status until after you hit the table button again.
      [*]Minimizing sections has animation lag/jumps due to margins on the CSS class.
      [/list]

Completed Pathways:

[*]Racial
        [*]Armor
        [*]Dragon Knight
        [*]Nightblade
        [/list]

There are a few other new things that will hopefully roll out soon-ish, but I suppose I can bump this thread when we get to that point.

Oh, and if anyone knows basic HTML and isn't bothered by mind-numbing data entry... You can help with the tables if you so wish.

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

Effing amazing start! :)

Francis

Francis

• Validating
  • 327 Posts

Great work, man.

3. Suggest improvements.

We could use an "expand all" button.

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

We could use an "expand all" button.

That (and Musclemagic's minimized section suggestion) are good suggestions that could be implemented. I guess the important question I should be asking is this -- how will this be used? That will impact how the information is displayed by default.

For example, those of you constantly coming up with builds -- do you always have that skill document open comparing skills side by side? If not, what is the most useful implementation of this information?

Alternatively, it may end up just as something people check out haphazardly once (if that) to see a few descriptions that confused them. Who knows.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

Hmm.. here's how I'd set it up: (Everything's minimizable)

RACIAL Trees

Aldmeri trees

Daggerfall trees

Ebonheart trees

CLASS Trees

DK trees

NB trees

Sorc trees

Temp trees

ITEM Trees

2H  + DW + S&S trees

Destro + Resto + Bow trees

Armor trees

OTHER Trees

PvP trees

Disease trees

Guild trees

Soul Magic + Undaunted trees

Start with THESE minimized, and then let people maximize into each part or THESE into a more specific tree from there.

That would be the easiest way for me anyway.

Maybe make a "skill selector" where there's a button on each active ability that allows you to add it to bar 1 or bar 2... and then have a Bar 1 and Bar 2 somewhere on the side... That would be super cool, but probably a lot of scripting.. XD

EDIT: Actually, it's perfect how it is.. just make everything minimizable and possibly do the Add to Bar 1 or Add to Bar 2 thing in the future. XD

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

Maybe make a "skill selector" where there's a button on each active ability that allows you to add it to bar 1 or bar 2... and then have a Bar 1 and Bar 2 somewhere on the side... That would be super cool, but probably a lot of scripting.. XD

That's almost certainly beyond my poverty-level ability with JavaScript, but do you have an example of anything that comes close to what you're envisioning? It would be cool to work on some sort of character builder far off in the future.

Also, I like your categories as they're much more even between the sections. Hopefully I'll have the shells of the skills completely done in the next few days; then it will be easier to see where things fit nicely.

It wouldn't be too hard to have all of the sections minimized by default, with a corner option to expand one-by-one. I could also have a static bar to "Collapse / Expand All" that follows the screen as you scroll. Then again that's the type of thing that has conflicts with existing features, like that annoying black fade-out bar at the top of every page.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

That's almost certainly beyond my poverty-level ability with JavaScript, but do you have an example of anything that comes close to what you're envisioning? It would be cool to work on some sort of character builder far off in the future.

Also, I like your categories as they're much more even between the sections. Hopefully I'll have the shells of the skills completely done in the next few days; then it will be easier to see where things fit nicely.

It wouldn't be too hard to have all of the sections minimized by default, with a corner option to expand one-by-one. I could also have a static bar to "Collapse / Expand All" that follows the screen as you scroll. Then again that's the type of thing that has conflicts with existing features, like that annoying black fade-out bar at the top of every page.

Yeah, I figured that it would be too much to get a bar builder.........

.... .....       .........

.... I HATE THAT BLACK FADE-OUT BAR WITH A PASSION!!! Haha! :P

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

(Everything's minimizable)

Alright, I think I've implemented what you had in mind. You can check and let me know -- toggle buttons are in the right corner of section titles. The only caveat is that it's all unminimized by default at the moment, since at this stage in development I want to see changes easily.

Francis

Francis

• Validating
  • 327 Posts

So, no "expand/collapse all descriptions" button per section? It sounds like a good idea to me. But it's up to you, I guess.

The builder sounds like it could be a gamble to attract some site traffic. But it won't really matter to me since I already put mine down on paper.

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

So, no "expand/collapse all descriptions" button per section? It sounds like a good idea to me. But it's up to you, I guess.

The builder sounds like it could be a gamble to attract some site traffic. But it won't really matter to me since I already put mine down on paper.

I had a (mostly) working expand / collapse all last night, I'm just trying to think of a way to implement it well without restructuring everything.

Francis

Francis

• Validating
  • 327 Posts

I had a (mostly) working expand / collapse all last night, I'm just trying to think of a way to implement it well without restructuring everything.

Oh, okay. Good luck with that.

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

Oh, okay. Good luck with that.

Should be finished now. The button is in the top-left cell of every table.

The only bug that I found happens if you toggle individual cells, and then toggle the entire table - the table cell button markers don't show the correct status until after you hit the table button again.

EDIT: And it requires two clicks to open a second table consecutively. Damn it.

Francis

Francis

• Validating
  • 327 Posts

560 armor is about how much armor full Light armor will give you. With 560 armor + Light I think it'll be about = to heavy. This is just speculation.

Any reason for going Light instead of Heavy Armor + Bound Armor? With Dark Exchange, regen doesn't matter much, so you'll have 21% more effective MP due to spells being 21% cheaper..but compared to what? As a tank you'll need to measure how often you can keep up your mitigation abilities compared to keeping them up with light armor on and see which one grants you the most mitigation..so it's not really just about how much mitigation the armor itself gives.

Crap, sounds like mage tanks would really be a threat to me.

Should be finished now. The button is in the top-left cell of every table.

The only bug that I found happens if you toggle individual cells, and then toggle the entire table - the table cell button markers don't show the correct status until after you hit the table button again.

EDIT: And it requires two clicks to open a second table consecutively. Damn it.

Break a leg with that.

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

This thread is for troubleshooting / developing the skill database; please just make a new thread for all specific skill questions / builds / etc.

I've cleared out this thread (which was most of it) and moved the skill questions here.

Francis

Francis

• Validating
  • 327 Posts

It's the fuzz, man. Run!

(Get it? Cause he's a Llama.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com