Photo

Tanking in ESO

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

The Question is how will tanking be in ESO.

from one of the AUA's:

[*]You won’t need to get every enemy’s attention. Every player can take a few hits from standard attacks, and they have lots of ways to take care of themselves. Many healing abilities affect an area, so your healer (if you only have one) should be able to take care of several party members.
    [*]In a fight with a large group of enemies, a tank’s ability to control the fight is critical. Stun the healers, interrupt the spellcasters—you’re the best party member for the job, because your stuns and interrupts will tend to get those enemies to attack you back.
    [*]You do need to stay engaged with tougher monsters, like bosses. They hit much harder, and your damage mitigation and extra health will keep you alive where other characters might die.
    [/list]

In ESO you will have just 1 aggro ability (1h/Shield) which taunts a mob, that skill will be very important for boss fights so that a DPS especially a melee DPS doesn't get aggro.

In order to get to a boss you will have to fight your way through lots of mobs. Therefore a Tank will need lots of CC abilities, AOE skills and enough damage to keep them attacking him.

This means that a Tank might need two sets of gear. 1 for dmg and 1 for boss tanking.

The question for me is how much damage will a tank be able to do while he is still able to tank every Boss?

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts

When I was on beta, I focused on making my character a tank, focusing on the tanky aspects of Dragonnight and going with Sword/Shield and Heavy Armor.

Regardless, I know little about how much damage a tank can do since I only got my character to level 3 before beta ended. I will say that I did notice how some of the tanky abilities also reflected some damage back at the opponent. Those type of abilities add up, I'd assume.

Then again, if you are a tank for a large group, dealing damage isn't really a priority. If you are tanking with a group it might (note I'm talking from my ass) be beneficial to just focus on CC, Interupts, etc rather than damage. If you are going solo, you can modify your ability bar for a more damage orientied style, or maybe just try to outlast the enemy.

Again, very limited beta knowledge here.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

The only thing which would answer my question is if we would know what stats are available and how high they can be + the knowledge what those actually do.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

I was thinking as a Tank you wanna be as tanky as needed (+ a little bit extra when things aren't running as planned) and dish out as much damage as possible.

A Dragonknight tank will have at least 400 life which is more than twice the amount a Dps will have, he has more defence because he wears heavy armor, he has several skills which reduce incomming dmg.

That beeing said a DK tank will be at least 4 times tougher than a normal DPS and more than 8 times tougher than a real glass canon.

This is without even using tanking gear.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

Regardless, I know little about how much damage a tank can do since I only got my character to level 3 before beta ended. I will say that I did notice how some of the tanky abilities also reflected some damage back at the opponent. Those type of abilities add up, I'd assume.

Your are talking about spiked armor which actually doesn't reflect dmg it just dmg mobs which attack you in melee range.

However I would love if it would be possible to create a build with a high reflection rate in combination with regernation and life steel.

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts

Your are talking about spiked armor which actually doesn't reflect dmg it just dmg mobs which attack you in melee range.

However I would love if it would be possible to create a build with a high reflection rate in combination with regernation and life steel.

Yeah, that is it.

I understand what you are asking, just it can't be answered at this time. You'll either have to wait until they do beta tests with higher leveled characters or until the game comes out. =/

Mishka

Mishka

Fighters guild has been confirmed as another location to score some taunting abilities

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

Yeah, that is it.

I understand what you are asking, just it can't be answered at this time. You'll either have to wait until they do beta tests with higher leveled characters or until the game comes out. =/

I know :-)

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

Fighters guild has been confirmed as another location to score some taunting abilities

Yeah I remember the same but I couldn't find anymore.

Adicon

Adicon

• 6 Posts

DK's

For tanking I feel Dark talons is going to be a good DK ability for multiple mobs, combined with some Ash cloud.

Templars

Great class with lots of utility but lacking AoE CC abilities to control. Maybe their ultimate Nova

Sorcerer

Encase and repulse can control and lightning form will be highlights for multiple mobs

Nightblade

Little to no AoE CC for the nightblade, may find it hard controlling fight

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

DK'sFor tanking I feel Dark talons is going to be a good DK ability for multiple mobs, combined with some Ash cloud. TemplarsGreat class with lots of utility but lacking AoE CC abilities to control. Maybe their ultimate Nova SorcererEncase and repulse can control and lightning form will be highlights for multiple mobs NightbladeLittle to no AoE CC for the nightblade, may find it hard controlling fight

There are only 2 classes which really can tank and that's DK(the best Tank by far) and the Templer.Lightning Form is more of oh shit button than a tanking ability because the duration is to low compared to the costs of the skill.

Craizer

Craizer

• 8 Posts

You don't think a Nightblade could tank with there sipon life and other utilities they have?

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

No not if they haven't a optimized group for their build and even than a DK or Templer would still be way better.

Craizer

Craizer

• 8 Posts

So, with that being said.  My friend is going to play a Sorc, the guy that wants to tank said he wants to be a Templar hybrid.  So should I build around them or fill a role.  I have been leading towards NB and DK, but then I start thinking of pvp and am curious if pvp is going to need more range.So many different scenarios and things to take into consideration

irons

irons

• 428 Posts
A templer tank will work just fine even so a Dk would be better which is fair because let's be honest the only thing a Dk is really good at is tanking.From what we know what should/needs a Tank.He needs 1 taunt (puncture)He needs 1 or more defensive skills preferable one which scales with the armor trait which increases Armor&SpellResiHe needs 1 AoE CC.He needs enough stamina for blocking dodging and interupting.And some support like Obsidian Shield or Ash Cloud are very nice to have because most enemies also have range attacks which mean CC alone just helps a little bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com