Building PC - Advice/Comments on Build

David

GPU: GTX 760 - $250CPU: i5 4670k - $200Mobo: Z87X-UD3H - $150Case: Corsair 500R - $70Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo - $30RAM: 8 GB (2X4GB) - $70HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM - $70SSD: 128 GB - $98PSU: CAPSTONE-750-M - $70OS: Windows 8 OEM - $90___________________________Total: $1098 after several rebates.Anything major I'm forgetting? Not worried about optical drive at the moment. Planning on buying a 1920x1200 ~23" display later for around $250. In the meantime I have an older LCD.Don't plan to overclock initially so I could also probably drop the heat sink. As of right now I'm only locked in to the PSU and case because I found great deals on them ($50 off each). I listed a fairly meh SSD; hopefully there will be a deal on a higher quality Samsung 840 before I start assembling.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-136-533&Tpk=N82E16822136533

Wow, I hate you. I want NewEgg, prices here are ridiculous. $70 for a gold-certified modular PSU? I know you got it cheap from a deal, but still...

No real reason to drop the heat sink, its cheap and probably the best in that price bracket, no harm in having it.

As for the graphics card, any reason for EVGA? Their lifetime warranty (do they still do that?) is amazing, but that blower-style fan... I'd spend the extra $10 for the ASUS one, or even $5 for the EVGA with their own fan.

Can't comment on the CPU, GPU or motherboard - next gen, so I don't know a whole pile about now. Kinda wish they would have been released before I got my PC build now... Also, why Windows 8?

Wow, I hate you. I want NewEgg, prices here are ridiculous. $70 for a gold-certified modular PSU? I know you got it cheap from a deal, but still...

That was just an insane, unusual price. I was shocked when I saw it so I bought it on the spot. I was actually planning on waiting to do this but I figured now that I have this PSU I may as well move forward with the rest.

As for the graphics card, any reason for EVGA? Their lifetime warranty (do they still do that?) is amazing, but that blower-style fan... I'd spend the extra $10 for the ASUS one, or even $5 for the EVGA with their own fan.

I'll probably do that. No real reason for EVGA other than I've heard they're one of the better ones along with ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI.

Also, why Windows 8?

Regardless of the hate it gets it's still the most recent version of Windows. I figure most people hate it just because of the metro screen, but I read somewhere that 8.1 is getting the option to boot straight to the desktop anyway.

I'll probably do that. No real reason for EVGA other than I've heard they're one of the better ones along with ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI.

Regardless of the hate it gets it's still the most recent version of Windows. I figure most people hate it just because of the metro screen, but I read somewhere that 8.1 is getting the option to boot straight to the desktop anyway.

EVGA for warrenty. Asus for awesomeness and top quality build, quietest too. Gigabyte for reliability. MSI for awesome cooling.

ASUS is generally the highest in price, so that's the biggest deciding factor, and looks. :P

As for Windows 8 - I was going to get it, but it has really been stressed that the metro screen is only suitable for touch-screen monitors and tablets. My main reason for going with 7 is that some games are unstable on it, which just worried me. And Windows 7 was cheaper.

Idk, about €10. Didn't buy off Amazon, was going to, but some products didn't have the free shipping and was overall more expensive than a German site which EVERYONE in Ireland uses, cheapest around. Particularly because there is this site that if I search for the item from the original website, I get free 5-10% off.

How much did you save? From what I can see both OEMs are $90 on Amazon currently.

I got a OEM of windows 7 pro for ~$70 from here. Dunno if they still sell them for the same price or not.

From what I've seen on my brothers lappy I would recommend windows 7 over windows 8. He got used to it after a while though so if you really want it then go for it.

@Saucy I'm going with Windows 8 because from what I've heard 8.1 is going to fix a lot of the usability issues. There are also significant changes - for the better - behind the scenes.

Few adjustments...

Pending...

GPU: GTX 760 - $265 

Going to get the MSI Twin Frozr because it has the best cooling. Unfortunately it's out of stock everywhere at the moment; when it returns I expect it will be about $15 more than what I had previously.

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM - $70

OD: Asus x24 - $5

Decided to cart an optical drive because there was a bundle price on Newegg with HDD's. Adds about $5 depending on the HDD I choose.

PurchasedCPU: i5 4670k - $200Mobo: Z87X-UD3H - $150Case: Corsair 500R - $70Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo - $30PSU: CAPSTONE-750-M - $70OS: Windows 8 OEM - $90

RAM: 8 GB (2X4GB) - $65SSD: 128 GB - $125

I decided to get a 128GB 840 Pro instead of the shittier quality SSDs because for some reason they were all abnormally highly priced (~$100). Since I was already paying $100 I figured the extra $27 or so would be worth it.

I fucked up on the RAM and bought 1.65V 1600Mhz, which is borderline bad quality and I don't want to screw with the motherboard. Fortunately, I'm going to say Amazon had a misleading description so I should be able to return it for a full refund... But my replacement 1.5V Corsair Vengeance 2x4 is $8 more at $64.99. It really stings because last year the same RAM was $40 everywhere.

Anyways, my new expected total price...

Total: $1195 - $55 MIR = $1140

Went way over my budget so this has been a failure of an expenditure.

Is it complicated to build your own PC? And how do you know which parts you should have (which is best and fit together)?

It really isn't, if you follow a decent guide (check out NewEggs one on YouTube) it makes it painfully easy. I mean, even someone who is a complete noob with computers could do it.

About compatibility of parts, this is something that will probably confuse you at first because there are so many numbers and letters lol, but base your build around your CPU/processor. So you'll need to get a compatible motherboard for that. Other than that, you shouldn't have much issues with parts not fitting in, graphics card should be no problem, as with hard drives and power supply (make sure it's at least 80+ certified, you'll know what I mean). For RAM, just go with 1600Mhz, if you go for faster RAM (makes no real difference unless you are running an APU), make sure it is compatible with your motherboard. Oh and unless you use the stock heatsink/CPU cooler, make sure that is compatible with your motherboard/CPU socket. Case will be fine if you go with a standard ATX size motherboard.

Tbh, just find a budget and start researching other builds for the same price on places like Toms-Hardware, base it on that, and research everything to find the best you can for your budget. :)

Another revision. This one will make Fergal jelly.

Last night, right after I ordered my SECOND set of RAM... Newegg started an unreal promotion on CPU/RAM combos. This culminated in me getting G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (normally $125) and the UD4H (normally $190) for a combined price of $215 ($100 off). Comparatively, I previously had the UD3H (tier lower mobo) and 8GB Vengeance (worse quality + half the size) for $215. For $8 more (required shipping charge) I got a major upgrade.

Now, the bad news... I'm going to be returning $272 in Amazon products right away for questionable reasons. I'm fairly worried my Amazon account will be banned because I heard they do that if there is a high ratio of returns. I haven't really bought much from them this year so this will probably be 60% of what I've spent in 2013.

• 1 month later...

I am also probably building, the build actually looks really solid, i'd have switched out the i5 for an AMD 6-8 core, but thats just me - im old and like to see value for my money in the form of more things.

pcpartpicker is a pretty good place to start, it shows you if all your things are compatible, and gives you a good idea of the wattage you will be using.  Your pretty much NOT starting though, and have probably built this shit already, so yeah.

I LIKE TO REPLY LATE TO THINGS.