Staying Safe Online

This is a good thread, containing many good tips. Perhaps even worthy of being promoted to an article so it has more exposure. Did you write this yourself?I personally recommend Avira/Avast over AVG, but I've read that AVG has been stepping up their game recently. Similarly I would not buy McAfee due to horrible personal experiences, and Norton (although much better than it was) still lags behind some competitors if you're going to go the paid route.I also recommend WOT (Web of Trust), which is a free Firefox add-on (possibly other browsers as well). It gives each web site a rating based on what viewers have rated it; malicious sites are easy identified before you even venture to them on google listings and the like.

I liked this, so I could unlike it, so I could like it again! Very nice post, some stuff I didn't know. I thought pdf files were considered safe to be honest :D How do you feel about Microsoft Security Essentials? I always feel like it's just doing nothing in the background.

This is a good thread, containing many good tips. Perhaps even worthy of being promoted to an article so it has more exposure. Did you write this yourself?

I personally recommend Avira/Avast over AVG, but I've read that AVG has been stepping up their game recently. Similarly I would not buy McAfee due to horrible personal experiences, and Norton (although much better than it was) still lags behind some competitors if you're going to go the paid route.

I also recommend WOT (Web of Trust), which is a free Firefox add-on (possibly other browsers as well). It gives each web site a rating based on what viewers have rated it; malicious sites are easy identified before you even venture to them on google listings and the like.

I liked this, so I could unlike it, so I could like it again! Very nice post, some stuff I didn't know. I thought pdf files were considered safe to be honest :D

How do you feel about Microsoft Security Essentials? I always feel like it's just doing nothing in the background.

@Traaginen I wrote most of it myself the rest was from a friend that is really good with computers. I also use avast just because I was getting the paid version for free.

It also comes with an add-on for any browser that is similar to WOT Posted Image

@Huygens Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me, but you really shouldn't need a paid anti-virus if you are careful and don't go downloading everything from everywhere.