The Legend of Zelda Should Be The Legend of Link

David

Seriously, Zelda isn't even in every game. Most players don't know who Zelda is and think that they play as Zelda...

[*]Games/movies/tv/shows/books/etc - EVERYTHING uses the primary character in their names (if it uses a character at all).

[*]Link is a mute who never speaks, and thus never fixes this confusion.

[*]Zelda is a foreign name to most people and thus don't realize it's generally a female name.

So... Why?

Posted ImagePosted Image

The Legend of Link

EDITS

Note: Apparently your sister is Zelda in the Windwaker [/stupidplot]

Note Note: Tetra. This is just getting embarassing.

Note: Apparently your sister is Zelda in the Windwaker [/stupidplot]

WRONG!!!! Your sister was kidnapped as Ganondorf was pretty much capturing all the younger girls in hopes that one of them is Zelda. It is the leader of the pirates, Tetra, that was Zelda.

Honestly though, only the younger and new players don't know who Zelda is. I mean, as a kid, I would name my character Zelda then get confused when the princess was Zelda. In fact, it was Super Smash Bros that made me realize he had an official name. Keep in mind I wasn't a big internet user back in the day.

You missed the fact Link does like 70%-90% of the work in every game while Zelda ultimately gets kidnapped. I understand the points you make but they have an okay reason to call it The Legend of Zelda. MOST of the games feature the three timeless elements: A legendary and un-named Hero that brings about the destruction of evil (usually Ganon) using Zelda as the key to it all.

The main point is the whole story/legend revolves around Zelda. She is the key to all of it. The Hero, who is only named Link by default as he is "linked" to the player and can be named anything the player wishes, just ties the loose ends, acting as the Hero to set all the wheels in motion. It is Zelda who comes from the long line of the Royal Family and has ties to every creature and person in Hyrule.

Also, Link isn't mute. We just don't hear him talk. For example, an owl asks you if you want him to repeat it again, you say no, the owl flys away.

• Upvote 1

WRONG!!!! Your sister was kidnapped as Ganondorf was pretty much capturing all the younger girls in hopes that one of them is Zelda. It is the leader of the pirates, Tetra, that was Zelda.

I fixed that 20mins before you posted. Come at me, bro? :thumbsup:

Honestly though, only the younger and new players don't know who Zelda is. I mean, as a kid, I would name my character Zelda then get confused when the princess was Zelda. In fact, it was Super Smash Bros that made me realize he had an official name. Keep in mind I wasn't a big internet user back in the day.

That's because the older players have come across the real name of the character in several other places by now, such as the internet or other games as you did. If people that are picking up their first game of the series don't get it, there's probably a problem.

You missed the fact Link does like 70%-90% of the work in every game

I was confused with the first part here, you could say that's the main reason Link should be prominently named.

The main point is the whole story/legend revolves around Zelda. She is the key to all of it. The Hero, who is only named Link by default as he is "linked" to the player and can be named anything the player wishes, just ties the loose ends, acting as the Hero to set all the wheels in motion. It is Zelda who comes from the long line of the Royal Family and has ties to every creature and person in Hyrule.

The same could be said about all of the other human controlled heros in other media. The explanation of "link" you bring up is a good point, though. I might be wrong, but I don't always remember having the option to name Link whatever I want in all the games. Also, that doesn't change the fact that Link himself is the name of the character that has gone into popular culture; no one ever talks about the unnamed Hero of the series.

Also, Link isn't mute. We just don't hear him talk. For example, an owl asks you if you want him to repeat it again, you say no, the owl flys away.

I know, I was just seeing if I could enrage any Nintendo fan boys since none of their characters speak directly. :wink:

I was confused with the first part here, you could say that's the main reason Link should be prominently named.

That was just a point that you could of made, but didn't. Zelda's usefulness varies from game to game, if she is even in it which she isn't always.

The same could be said about all of the other human controlled heros in other media. The explanation of "link" you bring up is a good point, though. I might be wrong, but I don't always remember having the option to name Link whatever I want in all the games. Also, that doesn't change the fact that Link himself is the name of the character that has gone into popular culture; no one ever talks about the unnamed Hero of the series.

The same thing could be said, but I was just trying to explain this case and point. As for the name thing, I know all the most recent ones (Ocarina of Time and beyond) you can change his name. I'm also certain you can change his name in A Link to the Past, even though it has his name in it. Not sure about the other three games. And finally, Link is the unnamed hero, they just give him a default name just to make things easier.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link has his name in it.

That and Links Awakening and A Link to the Past, though arguably that last one could be taken either way. This kinds of ruins the whole unnamed Hero thing, but I digress.