Photo

Bohemian Rhapsody Lyric Debate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts
So this is going to be split off from my status where Blexun and I went into a debate about the lyrics, which are often misquoted, even by lyric sites.

"Mama, I just killed a man."
vs.
"Mama, just killed a man."

But why would it be "Mama, just killed a man" with a comma. That would only make sense if some guy named Just killed a guy. Either that site is wrong or Queen are idiots.

I'll ignore the blasphemy on the GREATEST SONG AND BAND OF ALL TIME!!11

Basically, a "," in song lyrics indicate a pause, not necessarily a change in subject. Taking the rest of the songs context into account, it is as if the singer was saying "I killed a man" there regardless. Which explains why the lyrics are so often misquoted; the "I" isn't actually in the lyrics, it's just inferred...

"Mama!"
"Just killed a man!"

The speaker is indicating that he just killed a man to his mother. "Just killed a man" has a gapped subject.

Mama, just killed a man
Put a gun against his head
Pulled my trigger, now he's dead
Mama, life had just begun
But now I've gone and thrown it all away
Mama, ooo
Didn't mean to make you cry - Speaker made his mother cry; wouldn't make sense if she killed a man.
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters

Here's the video, listen for the "Mama, (I?) just killed a man..." at 1:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

Blake

Blake

• 1,849 Posts
Posted Image
Yeah love Queen, but not the biggest fan of that song. We'll just chalk that up as a win for you and go about our miserable existence.

David

David

• Admin
  • 4,462 Posts

Yeah love Queen, but not the biggest fan of that song. We'll just chalk that up as a win for you and go about our miserable existence.

Yeah love Queen, but not the biggest fan of that song.

not the biggest fan of that song.

Posted Image

Eric the Bard

Eric the Bard

• 624 Posts
Traag is right, but I wouldn't call this an analysis. It's just to prove a point and is not really an objective study of the song and it's meaning.I'm glad you added the song btw, or I would have to look it up myself. It IS a good song Blexun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com