Message to Whiterun

Guest Brogalor

Question

Guest Brogalor
Ok so I have to deliver a message to the Jarl of Whiterun and I go and talk to him and it doesnt have the option to talk about the message, I completed all nessesary quests to complete this quest and i am currently with the imperials . PLEASE HELP!

5 answers to this question

I've found 3 bugs related to this quest, you'll have to determine which fits your specific case since the causes are different:

[*]If you have already captured Odahviing in Dragonsreach, you won't have the option to give him the message. Finishing the game and returning to talk to him fixes this.

[*]Note: This may only apply if Odahviing is still trapped IN Dragonsreach. I believe by "finish the game" it just means "complete the main quest."

[*]If you have started the quest Season Unending then there is no option for talking with the Jarl. There are only the dialog options for setting up the trap to capture Odahviing. There is currently no known fix other than to complete the game and return afterwords. ~Ps3/360/PC

[*]If you join the Stormcloaks and deliver the Jagged Crown to Ulfric and HAVE NOT finished "Before the Storm," Jarl Balgruuf will not speak to you until you finish Dragon's Rising, and you cannot deliver the Axe from Ulfric. Also, Irileth and the Whiterun soldiers wil disappear, leaving you to kill the Dragon on your own in Dragon's rising. The guards will appear shortly after you kill the dragon. Go through the dialogue with Balgruuf about being a dragonborn, then he will be able to receive the axe.

I added my notes as a sub-bullet to each message.

______

You should consider creating an account here. It comes with several benefits, and also makes it much easier for you to post questions and answers. It's completely free!

Edit: Beat me again. I give up.

Haha, you'd best not. We need multiple people answering every question; 95% of the time we have different information and perspectives. You've had some great answers, plus I'm rarely on when you are mid-day so it works out. Too bad Mageman has recently disappeared.Let us know if it works, Brogalor. :P

Yes, the 360 will have its own version of the patch, which you'll be able to get assuming you have it connected to the internet. Make sure that your issue isn't any of the fixable ones listed above though; the patch may not be required. There's also no guarantee that the patch will fix it, but it is a good sign that it's mentioned in the release notes.