Skyrim Hearthfire trouble! 2nd house help!

Guest Jess

Question

I apologize in advance of this is a bit lengthy but I please help anybody.

So I have a PS3 and all the DLC's (downloadable content) one of which is Hearthfire. So, I have since made, completed and moved in my family(husband, kids) into my first finished house.

I've been feeling pretty cluttered and like I needed more room so I decided to go see if it was possible to buy another house for storage purposes, so I go to the Jarl in Dawnstar.

To get this plot of land I had to kill a giant, which I did. I returned to the jarl and I got my land to build on. I go to the location, all happy to begin building, no big deal. Right? WRONG!

So oringally back at my house (1st one) if I went to my drafting table I had options to remove the workbenches( which I have yet to do) or " remodel home into entryway " which I was absolutely not going to do to my first finished house, but the point is, at my new home, home #2 I had those options pop up in the misc section on my drafting table. It didn't bring up the house section where I can lay down the "small house layout" only once I built an outside grindstone( because I was testing to see if it would help, or something) did the option to build the layout pop up. That was great and perfect, onto the foundation and frames, right?

Well, not exactly in my case, when I went to my workbench station right beside the drafting table to build for my house, no option popped up in the "house" section. Just the "misc" items, like the grindstone and the weapon and armory upgrade bench and stone wheel. I had no option to build my foundation.

Also, I had plenty of the materials needed (lumber,iron ingots,fittings,nails,etc.) to build these things. I had waited on the game, gone back to the workbench several times, gone from one random place and back to see if that would do the trick, but no...

I'm feeling really at a loss, cause I spent money on this land (for presumably nothing ), and I just wanted a place for storage and to look out over the land in a library tower which I lack from my first home.

Overall, I want to now if there's a way to get these house building options to pop up, and start building.

Andy help is more than welcome.

2 answers to this question

I apologize in advance of this is a bit lengthy but I please help anybody.

So I have a PS3 and all the DLC's (downloadable content) one of which is Hearthfire. So, I have since made, completed and moved in my family(husband, kids) into my first finished house.

I've been feeling pretty cluttered and like I needed more room so I decided to go see if it was possible to buy another house for storage purposes, so I go to the Jarl in Dawnstar.

To get this plot of land I had to kill a giant, which I did. I returned to the jarl and I got my land to build on. I go to the location, all happy to begin building, no big deal. Right? WRONG!

So oringally back at my house (1st one) if I went to my drafting table I had options to remove the workbenches( which I have yet to do) or " remodel home into entryway " which I was absolutely not going to do to my first finished house, but the point is, at my new home, home #2 I had those options pop up in the misc section on my drafting table. It didn't bring up the house section where I can lay down the "small house layout" only once I built an outside grindstone( because I was testing to see if it would help, or something) did the option to build the layout pop up. That was great and perfect, onto the foundation and frames, right?

Well, not exactly in my case, when I went to my workbench station right beside the drafting table to build for my house, no option popped up in the "house" section. Just the "misc" items, like the grindstone and the weapon and armory upgrade bench and stone wheel. I had no option to build my foundation.

Also, I had plenty of the materials needed (lumber,iron ingots,fittings,nails,etc.) to build these things. I had waited on the game, gone back to the workbench several times, gone from one random place and back to see if that would do the trick, but no...

I'm feeling really at a loss, cause I spent money on this land (for presumably nothing ), and I just wanted a place for storage and to look out over the land in a library tower which I lack from my first home.

Overall, I want to now if there's a way to get these house building options to pop up, and start building.

Andy help is more than welcome.

Gotta love the library lookout, i do the library lookout for that house too. 

Ok, as for your problem, and forgive me for asking because i realize that you did say you were stocked up on building materials, and i don't want to insult your intelligence - but it is easy to overlook something - and so is it at all possible that you have run out of Quarry Stone or some other major building material for building the house? If not, then there might be something wrong with the game.

It does sound a little strange because, as you probably already know, you don't need to put in the grindstone or stables or smelter or any of the outside stuff in order to build the house section. Usually you put that stuff in after you build the entrance. Right?

Anyway, if you have done everything correctly, i don't know what to say. Why it would happen with your second house and not the first is a mystery to me....

I'm assuming you shut the game down in order to go to your computer and write this post, so maybe the next time you go into your game it will be working fine. Just a temporary glitch?