Marriage / Follower Options

Buttons

Question

I'm a little disappointed as I went and started the game again as a man character in order to marry a girl named Muiri from the Hags Cure. But after I married her I realised she was quite a boring wife with very little interactive menu options. all she really does is cook an apple pie each day for me. I like apple pies, but still... I was hoping for a spouse I could take on quests with me, apparently she cant do that? or can she?

So now I'm thinking I should marry the Vampire chick from the first Dawnguard quest (can't recall her name, Corana or Something), she seems to have more character then many of the other characters, just as long as she is able to marry and follow me on quests?  

24 answers to this question

Check this table. Just make sure "Follower" is "Yes" and you'll be all set with whoever you choose.

You can't (normally) marry Serana (Dawnguard chick), but she is a potential follower. You can use the following console commands to marry anyone, though...

Marrying NPC

1. Select spouse.

2. Enter the following console commands:

removefac 51596player.removefac C6472resetquest 74793resetquest 21382setstage 74793 10 

3. Wait for 24 hours.

4. Marry as normal.

Setting NPC as Follower

Of course, if you're going the console command route you may as well just make your current non-follower wife a follower instead.

1. Select target NPC.

2. Enter the following console commands:

addfac 5C84D 1Setrelationshiprank 4Player.sertrelationshiprank 4​

3. Rejoice!

First of all, Your funny.

I know that ultimately its up to me, but I would like your opinion... Obviously Serana has more personality, but Muiri is better looking (in my opinion), who would YOU choose as a wife, knowing that either could follow you? Muiri or Serana? Big Question, right? At the present moment im thinking Serana. She is very cool: She makes me laugh when I'm talking to someone and she walks in front of me wielding her magic in one hand and trying to attract attention to herself; like, look at me! and of course her vocabulary is more extensive as well. I guess I would only marry Muiri for her cute looks, unless her vocabulary increases when she is a follower?

Serena would be way more interesting conversationally because she'll frequently comment on things. Muiri will just have the generic housewife dialogue, if any. I think I married Muiri in my first game, but I wasn't looking for another follower so her only task was to sit in the manor and look pretty. I'd go for Serena if she's going to be a frequent companion because she'll be much better combat-wise.

mmm... I tend to agree. I will go with Serana and let you know how it goes, but before I do I need to ask, does it matter what stage I put in the above console commands to marry her, or can I do it any time? Haven't finished with her quest lines yet. her daddy is still alive.

And you are obviously talking about 24 hours game time, right? if so could I just sleep or wait the 24 hours or do I have to be doing something (like a quest) for 24 hours? 

Also, when you say, Select you wife, do you mean that I have to click on her while in console code before proceeding? Whose are the codes you put in there?

mmm... I tend to agree. I will go with Serana and let you know how it goes, but before I do I need to ask, does it matter what stage I put in the above console commands to marry her, or can I do it any time? Haven't finished with her quest lines yet. her daddy is still alive.

It probably won't matter. At one point during a specific Dawnguard quest, she has dialogue where she'll politely decline a marriage offer if you ask. This obviously won't make sense if you're married, but nothing more will come of it other than you scratching your head. Other than that, there shouldn't be any issues, but it's hard to predict these things sometimes.

And you are obviously talking about 24 hours game time, right? if so could I just sleep or wait the 24 hours or do I have to be doing something (like a quest) for 24 hours? 

24 hours in-game. You can sleep/wait/do whatever. It's part of the Bonds of Matrimony quest.

Buttons ain't no happy chappy. I attempted the codes you gave me but nothing happened, but I admit I had already gone back to a save point before the marriage to Muiri before I tried your codes.

I then  tried some other codes I found while surfing the web, which apparently allows a player to marry anyone in skyrim, but those codes didn't work on Serana either. And then after a few more hours of playing the game I had my newest house carl "Valdimar" hit on me. sure, he's a nice guy, but I probably don't need to tell you why I thought that a man hitting on a man in Skyrim didn't seem to sit quite right.

No, I'm not a homo phobe, but still.... didn't seem right.

So I went back those few hours of play to a save point before I entered your codes and also before I entered the other codes I found online, and redid those few hours of work... only to find that Valdimar hit on me once more. Well, f#%ck me.... 

Honestly, Valdimar's tendencies aren't the problem, I just wanna marry Serana and nothing I do seems to work. I've now wasted 6 hours of play with no sign of hope.

Don't bother giving me a mod, you know I'm not savvy enough to install it.

At one point I even tried remarrying Muiri before entering the codes you gave me but, after marrying that pie baking dull dame again, I couldn't find her anywhere in the whole damn land! she just disappeared!

I'm lost.....

Let it be known, I have brought myself back to a point in the game before marriage, before this whole nightmare began... And so now what the hell do I do? Serana just keeps looking at me with that bored, "so what now?" look.

What does NPC Mean? I assume it is the person I wish to marry, right?

This is what I did:

1. (I had no wife any more.) so I just went into console and clicked on Serana.

2. I placed each of the codes in, hitting the enter button each time, yes, separately. ( I did not go out then back into console each time?)

3. As I put in the steps, no writing came up on screen to say I was progressing through quests...

4. When I was done, I went out of console and clicked on Serana again to see if she had the marriage dialogue. No.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Went to retrieve the pale blade while I was awaiting your response.

Question:

1. Was I meant to be married to someone else in order for the procedure to work?

2. I did not enter Seranas ID code anywhere, was I meant to? I mean the Code that came up when I clicked on her? (I did try entering her code while trying to marry her with a different set of console cheats I found on the web, but her code came up as Invalid.)

Poor Buttons....

What does NPC Mean? I assume it is the person I wish to marry, right?

Yes. NPC stands for non-playable character.

1. (I had no wife any more.) so I just went into console and clicked on Serana.

2. I placed each of the codes in, hitting the enter button each time, yes, separately. ( I did not go out then back into console each time?)

3. As I put in the steps, no writing came up on screen to say I was progressing through quests...

4. When I was done, I went out of console and clicked on Serana again to see if she had the marriage dialogue. No.

Did you wait 24 hours?

Question:

1. Was I meant to be married to someone else in order for the procedure to work?

2. I did not enter Seranas ID code anywhere, was I meant to? I mean the Code that came up when I clicked on her? (I did try entering her code while trying to marry her with a different set of console cheats I found on the web, but her code came up as Invalid.)

1. No, I think I just gave you the wrong faction codes.

2. You shouldn't have to. 

Try this instead.

1. Click on intended spouse after opening the console.
  2. Enter the following.
setrelationshiprank player 4addfac 19809 1

You may have to save and reload following that, I don't remember. Might want to do it as a new save file just in case it doesn't work.

If the above doesn't work, change out the first console code with the following.

setrelationshiprank <RefID> 4

Replace <RefID> with the ID the console spits out when you select Serena.

David, I've tried everything you said, nothing seems to work. What am I looking for when it happens? will a headline come up to say I completed a quest or something? will nothing happen, maybe? If Serana has no marriage dialogue, how can I tell? By the way, do I still need to wait 24 hour with the new codes you gave me, or are they different in procedure to the first set of codes you gave me? I've tried it both ways, a few times over, and nothing appears different....

What the hell am I doing wrong? Im really doing everything your telling me...

Wait, she's still a vampire! does that matter? I thought she'd look sexier with red eyes.... And by the way, I've long since killed her old man; In case that matters....

Here's one more thing to try. Open the console and select Serena as usual.
addfac 19809 1Setrelationshiprank <RefID> 4 Player.setrelationshiprank <RefID> 4DisableEnable

Since Serena isn't supposed to be married and is heavily scripted with Dawnguard there's a chance you simply can't marry her, even with console commands. 

I'll try these codes. But tell me, what will happen if I succeed? what should I expect coming up on screen? Music? a quest completion phrase? A Bard jumping an singing for final Joy!!!????

Nothing like that will happen, you'll hopefully just be able to give her the standard marriage commands. But since Serena specifically has no marriage dialogue built in, it simply might not work.

The other console commands in this thread might be technically "working" themselves, but if you have no post-marriage dialogue, there's not much point.

Conan is funny in this. Yes, I'm aware that Conan attempted to steal my identity. Pathetic little worm he is. There can be only one clueless gamer by the name of Buttons - He will pay for his treachery!

Alas... Conan is not the only one who will pay for such grand dishonour, for there is now another, a young lass in fact, who goes by the name of Serana. She has plunged her wicked, razor clawed hand into the depths of my chest and torn my very heart from its lonely lair! But if that were not merely enough, she cast my pleading heart down into the ashen dust of some forsaken land and trod its pitiful bleeding underfoot! Yay, she has coaxed me with her fiery eyes and her honey words! But she will deceive me no more with her gilded tongue. If my chest were a cannon I would blast my furious passion upon her and wipe her name from the records of existence! With God as my witness I will slay that female beast; that filthy wench, that queen of tease, that daddies little whore! Buttons The Great will steal the very breath from her soul and all the people of Skyrim, nay, rather the inhabitants of Skyrim and all the lands beyond will rejoice at the stench of her wretched blood as it soaks into the ashen dust that surrounds my weeping heart!

Anyway... moving on. I guess I'll have to find a different wife....

Valdimar seems to like me a lot... lol

Poor Buttons

David, I have tried all the different codes you gave me and more, but nothing works. the closest I got was causing her to disappear and reappear with the Disable/enable commands. Nothing else happened. I am afraid there may be nothing more I can do. So I am left with a disease, a disease that only Serana can cure.... All the other girls are but a murmur of better things....