Annoing input lag in Skyrim

iCake

Question

Hello to you all guys. Glad to be here for sure. So here's my story. I'm running a steam legendary edition of Skyrim. My rig is AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2200 Mhz, 4 gb ram DDR2, Samsung HD321JK 320 Gb, ESC GeForce 750M-M rev. 2.0, Gigabyte Windforce Nvidia GTX 750 TI OC, Windows 7 x64

The game runs pretty smootly (avarage of 50 fps I think )with the high setting the Skyrim launcher has automatically assigned, but there are some occasinal frame drops to the low 30's, so I decided to cap my frame rate to half the refresh rate of my monitor, which is 30 fps. And I'm generally okay with that frame rate, because I don't get any screen tearing or performance drops lower than those 30 fps, but the thing is I experience a noticable input lag that way, the mouse feels just like jelly if you know what I mean. Anyway it's too sluggish and that is very strange because I don't feel any input lag if the game is vsynced to the full refresh rate of my monitor, even when the frame rate drops to the low 30's.

How I capped the framerate to 30 fps. First I disabled Vsync through Skyrim INI files, then I forced adaptive vsync (half the refresh speed) with the nvidia control panel. I also turned off the mouse acceleration by tweaking the INI files, because the mouse is always sluggish if that option is active.

The question is, can I do anything to reduce the mouse lag with the frame rate fixed at 30? Or should I just bear with some occasional frame drops from 60 to the low 30's?

2 answers to this question

Hello to you all guys. Glad to be here for sure. So here's my story. I'm running a steam legendary edition of Skyrim. My rig is AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2200 Mhz, 4 gb ram DDR2, Samsung HD321JK 320 Gb, ESC GeForce 750M-M rev. 2.0, Gigabyte Windforce Nvidia GTX 750 TI OC, Windows 7 x64

The game runs pretty smootly (avarage of 50 fps I think )with the high setting the Skyrim launcher has automatically assigned, but there are some occasinal frame drops to the low 30's, so I decided to cap my frame rate to half the refresh rate of my monitor, which is 30 fps. And I'm generally okay with that frame rate, because I don't get any screen tearing or performance drops lower than those 30 fps, but the thing is I experience a noticable input lag that way, the mouse feels just like jelly if you know what I mean. Anyway it's too sluggish and that is very strange because I don't feel any input lag if the game is vsynced to the full refresh rate of my monitor, even when the frame rate drops to the low 30's.

How I capped the framerate to 30 fps. First I disabled Vsync through Skyrim INI files, then I forced adaptive vsync (half the refresh speed) with the nvidia control panel. I also turned off the mouse acceleration by tweaking the INI files, because the mouse is always sluggish if that option is active.

The question is, can I do anything to reduce the mouse lag with the frame rate fixed at 30? Or should I just bear with some occasional frame drops from 60 to the low 30's?

Ok so here is your problem.

go to http://rockhouserecords.bandcamp.com/track/beethoven and listen, listen real hard and you will find the solution to all your problems, then this minor issue you are having will seem insignificant to the out of body experience you just had, listening to this track.