ESO on Consoles – Update

Console_change_date_header.jpg

We’ve been grateful to our fans for the wonderful response to our recent launch of The Elder Scrolls Online for PC/Mac, but we know many of you are eagerly waiting to play the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

We continue to work on the console versions of ESO, and game development has been progressing steadily, but we are still working to solve a series of unique problems specific to those platforms. Integrating our systems with each console manufacturer’s networks — which are both different from the PC/Mac system as well as different from each other—has been a challenging process. It has become clear that our planned June release of the console versions isn’t going to be possible.  Though we have made great progress, we have concluded that we’ll need about six months to ensure we deliver the experience our fans expect and deserve.

We know that the news of an ESO console delay is as disappointing to many of you as it is to us. We want to do what we can to make it up to our fans who want to start playing now, so we have worked out the following arrangement with Sony and Microsoft:

Via a special offer, anyone who purchases and plays the PC/Mac version of The Elder Scrolls Online by the end of June will have the opportunity to transfer their character(s) to either console version when they are released. The offer will allow you to begin playing immediately on the PC/Mac, and then add the PS4 or Xbox One version and transfer the character(s) you have created and developed. And, you don’t have to pay full price for the game twice. For $20, eligible PC and Mac players will have the option to add a full, digital version of ESO on either the PS4 or the Xbox One with your character transfer(s), and another 30 days of included game time.

Whether you decide to take advantage of this offer or not, we promise to do everything we can to get the game released on both consoles as quickly as we can. We will keep everyone updated with additional details regarding character transfers, specific offer dates, when you can expect console beta to start, and of course, when ESO on consoles will launch.

Thank you for your patience and loyal support.

View Original Article

Ouch! Seriously, consoles are shooting themselves in the foot here.  By refusing to co-operate and allowing servers that join with PC, X-Box and PS4 they're making it incredibly expensive and time consuming to develop MMOs for consoles.

I certainly appreciate that Zenimax are persisting with this as Funcom basically just said 'fuck it' when it started to look tough to fulfill their original pledge to bring AOC to Xbox 360.

• Upvote 1

Ouch! Seriously, consoles are shooting themselves in the foot here.  By refusing to co-operate and allowing servers that join with PC, X-Box and PS4 they're making it incredibly expensive and time consuming to develop MMOs for consoles.

I certainly appreciate that Zenimax are persisting with this as Funcom basically just said 'fuck it' when it started to look tough to fulfill their original pledge to bring AOC to Xbox 360.

I don't think console gamers would ever want to play on the PC servers - there would be an insane disadvantage in MMOs with the whole keyboard vs controller thing.

I am glad Zenimax seems to be sticking with their plan even if they've been horrendously delayed. The thing is, though... 6 months (at least) is a long time. When it comes out, we'll be going on a year since the PC release. Will anyone still care then?

I suspected as much.

I've noticed that you've been fairly quiet about your thoughts and experiences. Is it really that bad or just the usual frustrating MMO launch compounded with ZOS's inexperience?

PS1 had mouse function.

my 360 has 2/4 USB slots (idk, i dont use it much anymore) .. i know they say they dont want it to just be a mini-PC, but i'd much prefer to be able to use a mouse and keyboard with my 360, if its a possibility.

My argument isnt strong, im tired and cannot come up with anymore more interesting to say.

I've noticed that you've been fairly quiet about your thoughts and experiences. Is it really that bad or just the usual frustrating MMO launch compounded with ZOS's inexperience?

Ahh a common forum misconception that silence = discontent! I have been very quiet because I've been enjoying the game thoroughly. Aside from a few minor quest bugs I've been enjoying the game thoroughly. I am now travelling for 3 months around Europe/UK so have really only been playing a little bit on a vastly under-equipped macbook air while I travel.

I'll be back soon, but after playing a good solid month from early-access I've found this to be one of the smoothest MMO launches and I've been playing them since Meridian 59.

This is a very strong MMO with a promising future, I highly recommend it.

Now being three levels away from reaching veteran rank, and having done it the intended way without any speed-grinding, I can say the game has somewhat grown on me since the first time I played the Beta. It's not that it's a bad game, it's just that it didn't meet our legendary expectations conceived while anticipating it. You gotta admit, with as much friskiness that we held the game with, we were bound for a high likelihood of frustrated disillusionment.

But I've found some great people to play it with. So it's gotten considerably better.

Then again, I won't deny that ZOS does seem pretty inexperienced. A complex item-duping bug (going to a guild bank and clicking really fast) wasn't fixed for two weeks, and resulted in an influx of cloned items. Innocent players got hit in the ban crossfire. And then later, a few not-so-innocent botters who automated the exploit simply pretended to be innocent, and got their accounts back in the humble apology phase.

And then there was a minor mail-duping bug.

There's definitely been some inexperience on ZOS's part. Either that or everybody's been having a love dodecahedron with Maria Aliprando.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vMonkey

Hmm that sucks tbh. I cant possibly play on the PC version, my laptop is a piece of shit.

That means when the PS4 version comes out I will be starting from scratch along side max/high level ports from PC.

:s