Massively 2013 Awards: ESO Wins "Most Likely to Flop"

David

Agree with Blexun here, the hype is massive - And it really is going to be hard to pull off, because it really needs to feel like an online version of Elder Scrolls, not just a new MMO.

I'm just going to give the "single player/campaign" aspect a try first with that free 30 days upon purchase. Try and get the most out of it. Then if I like what they have done with it from an MMO point of view, I'll probably give it a shot, despite its pretty high subscription cost. Can't see myself being too competitive about it though.

"I predict that a lot of people will decide that it did when it doesn't set the whole world on fire."

This says everything. If this game doesnt "set the world on fire" it will flop. I think dont even know the meaning of the word "flop", but ok.

Wildstar, for example got the same suscription model as TESO and i dont see the half of the hate to that game as it did for ESO, and for me it looks like any other MMO (okay wildstar have player housing, so what?)

I really think that Zenimax will provide a great game, but that's just my opinion tough.

Wildstar, for example got the same suscription model as TESO and i dont see the half of the hate to that game as it did for ESO, and for me it looks like any other MMO (okay wildstar have player housing, so what?)

Wildstar doesn't have the same suscription model as ESO, in wildstar you can pay your monthly fee with ingame money same as in Eve Online.

Agree with Blexun here, the hype is massive - And it really is going to be hard to pull off, because it really needs to feel like an online version of Elder Scrolls, not just a new MMO.

I'm just going to give the "single player/campaign" aspect a try first with that free 30 days upon purchase. Try and get the most out of it. Then if I like what they have done with it from an MMO point of view, I'll probably give it a shot, despite its pretty high subscription cost. Can't see myself being too competitive about it though.

I'm with you on this.. the hype is massive but as long as the game is fun, feels like a fun MMO homage to Elder Scrolls then I have no issues paying.

Maybe I'm out of touch but I had no problem paying $20 AUD for Ultima Online back in 2000.... I don't get how a similar price is such a massive ask in 2014? This is barely more than the price of a movie ticket here and when I consider how much I'll be playing it seems a fair price to pay.

If this game keeps me entertained at leats 6-10 hours a week I consider this to be good value regardless of external perceptions.

I'm really worried about how buggy things will be at the start. So many things could be major game changers. Like, if you're able to rock-climb like in Skyrim then ranged DPS will be untouchable by melee in a lot of areas.

It's to be expected though, the first few months of any big MMO are always choppy (especially so for companies new to MMO.)

I'm with you on this.. the hype is massive but as long as the game is fun, feels like a fun MMO homage to Elder Scrolls then I have no issues paying.

Maybe I'm out of touch but I had no problem paying $20 AUD for Ultima Online back in 2000.... I don't get how a similar price is such a massive ask in 2014? This is barely more than the price of a movie ticket here and when I consider how much I'll be playing it seems a fair price to pay.

If this game keeps me entertained at leats 6-10 hours a week I consider this to be good value regardless of external perceptions.

Economy recession in Ireland bro! ;) Nah but seriously, it adds up, I just can't justify spending that much IF I don't make use of it, I don't want to end up buying a month, and getting bored (or too busy otherwise, for that matter) with it straight away and wasting money. But you're right, it isn't much, just so long as it played enough really.

Muscle; I expect it to be buggy, it's just a matter of how long it will take to iron them out. Which could really be a problem for more competitive players. I'm personally not that bothered as long as this won't reflect Battlefield 4's (still) buggy release.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Disastro

Unfortunately a lot of the hate is well warranted and perpetuated by people who have actually been in various stages of beta there is a reason why they're scared to lift the NDA even though it launches in only 2 months. To be fair there is some very interesting stuff in the game and some things it does well. However in the grand scheme of it all it falls short and those lack luster areas are so bad it is mind blowing. There is no way they should be launching in 2 months.

I'll be happy to be more specific when the NDA is lifted. Certainly doesn't warrant $60 box + 15 month + cash shop. I expect it to go F2P within the first 6 months if not sooner.

the price is the same as for DAoC some years ago. And there have been soooooo many Bugs in DAoC, i have only found 2 bugs on quests in TESO so far. and i was on DAoC since the first Beta. I liked the FightSystem of DAoC, but hey.. no time for pvp raids anymore, so pve content till the end. Skyrim gettin boring lately. And 13 Euros, we will see. As said before.. try the 35 Days, and then may come what comes.

• 2 weeks later...

The people that have been in the betas (as I have too) should know better than to complain about the game being bug laden. They just completed the hardware stress test on the last beta at the end of January. Anyone that understands software development knows that you don't toss a bunch of software fixes into the mix when your goal is to test hardware stability. I bet money the next beta is when we will start to see the big fixes to the bugs that have been present for the last 3 betas. Chances are they already had all these things fixed in a different version of the game just on their own internal servers. 

Will this game have bugs post launch? Show me one MMO that didn't/doesn't!

Is the game worth the $70 to buy it and the $15 per month sub fee? YES! ..and please, everyone stop saying it has a cash shop because it does NOT have an in game store of any kind.

V/R

Tango Uniform

The people that have been in the betas (as I have too) should know better than to complain about the game being bug laden. They just completed the hardware stress test on the last beta at the end of January. Anyone that understands software development knows that you don't toss a bunch of software fixes into the mix when your goal is to test hardware stability. I bet money the next beta is when we will start to see the big fixes to the bugs that have been present for the last 3 betas. Chances are they already had all these things fixed in a different version of the game just on their own internal servers. 

Will this game have bugs post launch? Show me one MMO that didn't/doesn't!

Is the game worth the $70 to buy it and the $15 per month sub fee? YES! ..and please, everyone stop saying it has a cash shop because it does NOT have an in game store of any kind.

V/R

Tango Uniform

I've only participated in one beta (out of the 2 invited, no time for the other) - I really found it to be quite okay, with few bugs. The game seems fine, they have time to riddle out the smaller bugs to provide a smoother game, and yes, the launch will most probably feature some.

The game is definitely worth it, would obviously be nice at a lower price. Guess I got that discount on the box price anyway, so I'm happy. :)