Locked out of Breeze home with Dragon Priest masks inside.

Guest Chrysann

Question

Guest Chrysann

So, after doing all the stormcloak quests, my wife Lydia left me, and my breeze home became locked. I guess I don't have the key anymore, but it was only until after destroying my favorite town that I wasn't able to enter my home. Yeah I really miss Lydia, my house carl, vampire, wife and mother of my kids, but I've survived without her. At first I wasn't too panicked about losing my home, until I remembered that I had a couple dragon priest masks inside... I finally remembered that I should do that and get that last mask, but I believe I need all the masks. I play on Xbox 360 and I don't mod, so this really sucks. I also delete my old saves because I have limited memory space. I know I'm pretty screwed, but does anyone know any tricks, cheats, or even glitches? Or have any good news for me? I'd really appreciate it. (:

(Oh, and I've read other forums that said things like, "Just pickpocket the jarl or his steward" but I tried pickpocketing everyone in Dragon's Reach and back in Windhelm where Balgruuf and his group is. Nothing. :( I also searched all my houses and chests for the key, tried switching out my child's room for an alchemy lab, and even resorted to stupidly shouting at my door.) 

Now I'm desperate for a miracle. 

7 answers to this question

It's a bug that happens after the Battle for Whiterun quest. Since you don't play on the PC and have no previous saves you're likely out of luck, unfortunately.

Your only hope is to talk to Brill (the new steward) to attempt to buy the key back. If Brill is dead, Proventus Avenicci might be the steward. Either way, though, if you can't buy the key back from the steward through dialogue you won't be able to access Breezehome again.

Guest Chrysann

So, after doing all the stormcloak quests, my wife Lydia left me, and my breeze home became locked. I guess I don't have the key anymore, but it was only until after destroying my favorite town that I wasn't able to enter my home. Yeah I really miss Lydia, my house carl, vampire, wife and mother of my kids, but I've survived without her. At first I wasn't too panicked about losing my home, until I remembered that I had a couple dragon priest masks inside... I finally remembered that I should do that and get that last mask, but I believe I need all the masks. I play on Xbox 360 and I don't mod, so this really sucks. I also delete my old saves because I have limited memory space. I know I'm pretty screwed, but does anyone know any tricks, cheats, or even glitches? Or have any good news for me? I'd really appreciate it. (:

(Oh, and I've read other forums that said things like, "Just pickpocket the jarl or his steward" but I tried pickpocketing everyone in Dragon's Reach and back in Windhelm where Balgruuf and his group is. Nothing. :( I also searched all my houses and chests for the key, tried switching out my child's room for an alchemy lab, and even resorted to stupidly shouting at my door.) 

Now I'm desperate for a miracle. 

I have to ask.... why dont you carry your keys on you.... they are weightless aren't they.... also have you tried talking to the new steward or jarl? Try waiting a few hours or leave city then come back and talk to him.

I do keep my keys on me. I don't have any memory of dropping it, but when I checked my inventory, it just wasn't there. It was really weird. I've tried talking to the steward but they don't talk back. I guess I'm just going to have to miss out. /: 

If you've done the Diplomatic Immunity quest apparently it takes the key out of your inventory, check sleeping giants inn chest for it.

Still have you tried leaving city then coming back after sometime and then talk to the new Jarl? You lose your thane status and have to do stuff to get it back which might make you lose access to breezehome.

Guest Guest

The only thing that will work is loading a save before you attacked whiterun. The same thing happened to me. You cant buy it back. You will just have to redo the quest and make sure you have your key this time