Confusion about the races

martoto

Hey guys,

So I recently started thinking about the races of Tamriel and what branch each belongs to. So when it comes to men you'd always say imperials, nords, redguards. And when it comes to mer you'd always say altmer, bosmer, dunmer. And the khajiit and argonians are beast-folk. But what about the Bretons and the Orcs? Officially Bretons are put in the same column as the other man-races. And the orcs are put in the Mer column. But I don't think I really agree with that generalization. It says that Bretons originally evolved from elves. They're even called manmeri sometimes. So are they really human? Are they elves? Or are they simply somewhere in between and do not belong to any of the main branches? And what about the orcs? They were originally elves who sort of evolved into what they are today but should they still be considered elves or are they leaning more towards the Beast-folk category? It's just that I would like to hear your guys' opinion about this. And one more thing - can someone explain how exactly the orcs came to be cause I'm not completely certain of the details.

I'll try to explain things to the best of my knowledge...

Bretons are more human than Elf. Though they are hybrids, they still fall under the human category. This has been the result of centuries of cross-breeding between men and elves in High Rock long ago, back when the elves enslaved man.

Normally, when two different races interbreed (and this has been proven to occur between man and elf), the offspring most prominently acquires the features of the mother's race, and, to a lesser degree, some traits of the father. Which is to say, the offspring would be born with the same race as its mother. This information has been found in the book Racial Phylogeny which, fortunately for you, I've read just recently, hence my capacity to sound like I actually know what I'm saying. But even the book can be disputed because, as demonstrated by Morrowind and Oblivion, there have been characters in-game with interracial parentage that predominantly acquired the traits of their fathers.

Bretons do not simply have fathers and mothers that were man and elf, but they are the product of centuries of inbreeding that eventually became their own "race". 

Orcs, on the other hand, have been warped by daedra too far, I believe, to still be considered elves. Boethiah, through her typical daedra shenanigans, somehow corrupted an an aedra into becoming a daedric prince (guess which one) and his followers into orcs. They are now technically beastfolk.

For more information, please visit your local Tamrielic library.

• Upvote 2

I'll try to explain things to the best of my knowledge...

Bretons are more human than Elf. Though they are hybrids, they still fall under the human category. This has been the result of centuries of cross-breeding between men and elves in High Rock long ago, back when the elves enslaved man.

Normally, when two different races interbreed (and this has been proven to occur between man and elf), the offspring most prominently acquires the features of the mother's race, and, to a lesser degree, some traits of the father. Which is to say, the offspring would be born with the same race as its mother. This information has been found in the book Racial Phylogeny which, fortunately for you, I've read just recently, hence my capacity to sound like I actually know what I'm saying. But even the book can be disputed because, as demonstrated by Morrowind and Oblivion, there have been characters in-game with interracial parentage that predominantly acquired the traits of their fathers.

Bretons do not simply have fathers and mothers that were man and elf, but they are the product of centuries of inbreeding that eventually became their own "race". 

Orcs, on the other hand, have been warped by daedra too far, I believe, to still be considered elves. Boethiah, through her typical daedra shenanigans, somehow corrupted an an aedra into becoming a daedric prince (guess which one) and his followers into orcs. They are now technically beastfolk.

For more information, please visit your local Tamrielic library.

I changed your member title to Keeper of the Tomes. You are now our go-to guy for everything lore related. With great power comes great responsibility.

Seriously though, nice response.