Afterlife

Guest Redsun

Question

I know this is a lore question with no real answer, but I will ask anyway just to get some opinions. "Who gets your soul after you die if you are promised to several daedric princes?" Example: If you become a werewolf then your soul is promised to Hircine, if you undergo the ritual to become a nightingale your soul is promised to Nocturnal. What if you do both? Or lets say that somehow you do all these things and then get trapped within a black soul gem? where would your soul go? Hircine? Sovngarde? Nocturnal? The Soul Cairn? I look forward to your opinions and theories.

8 answers to this question

I often wondered this myself.

Well from Skyrim, we know that Nords go to Sovngarde (or rather if you worship Shor, though that is pretty much Nord exclusive). Let's take into account some of Tsun's dialogue options. When he asks you "By what right do you request entry?", here are the two dialogue options and responses worth nothing.

• [*]
By right of blood. I Listen for the Night Mother.
  • [*]
"You trespass here, shadow-walker. Shor does not know you. Perhaps before the end you will earn the right to pass this way. Welcome I do not offer, but your errand I will not hinder, if my wrath you can withstand."

[*]By right of plunder. I am a Nightingale of Nocturnal.

• [*]
"Do not mistake the night-shrouded thief's stealthily-taken spoils, stolen and unearned, for a warrior's plunder, won in honorable battle. Your doom already binds you to your dark mistress, but your errand I will not hinder, if my wrath you can withstand."

As you can see, having pledged your allegiance to either Nocturnal or the Night Mother causes him to tell you that you don't really belong here. And if the Companion quest line is any indication, Hircine trumps Sovngarde as well. Seems the only way to get into Sovngarde is to worship Shor and be a good/honorable Nord. Then again, before the sends you back to Skyrim, Tsun says he'll see the Dragonborn in Sovngarde again after their death, regardless of what race or factions you are a part of. This may just be polite acknowledgement on his part though. As for Soul Gems, you are pretty much stuck in that gem. Maybe if you have a powerful soul or something you can break out. I don't know. TES is weird like that.

So Sovngarde is a pretty exclusive place to get to. What about the rest? Let's say you have pledged yourself to Nocturnal, Hircine, and the Night Mother. I also think it is safe to assume that if you complete a Daedric Quest in the Daedric Prince's favor, then he has some sort of claim on your soul as well. And the answer to this is, I have no idea. Not the best answer, I know. I don't even feel like speculating on it as there isn't a lot to go on. I will say that I think being trapped in a Soul Gem trumps all, though.

As a final note, High Elves believe they are cursed by Lockhan to be reincarnated everytime they die. I think. I may have gotten something wrong there.

• Upvote 1

CRAP!!!

If it is any consolation, Argonians believe that the Hist will reincarnate them. Or maybe that is a worse option. You be the judge.

I add to my last post by saying that breaking your ties with Sithis/Night Mother seems to be easier than breaking your ties with Nocturnal, if what Tsun says is any consolation. That being said, I also feel like Nocturnal trumps Hircine; to me, making a deal with Nocturnal to protect the Twilight Sep-whatcacallit is a bit more binding than a promise to live the rest of your days as a little wolfie.

Guest Redsun

I enjoy the lore on Sithis and that he and his brother are the ones that first created the aedra and the daedra, the daedra are a manifestation of sithis blood while the mix of anu and Sithis blood created the daedra who in turn created the world we know, so i think in this situation in which you are promised to sithis (dark brotherhood) nocturnal (nightingales) that sithis would "win" if he gave enough of a crap, though if your soul is stored into a black soul gem you would probably live forever, or at least until some enchanter uses you to enchant his sword. 

I enjoy the lore on Sithis and that he and his brother are the ones that first created the aedra and the daedra, the daedra are a manifestation of sithis blood while the mix of anu and Sithis blood created the daedra who in turn created the world we know, so i think in this situation in which you are promised to sithis (dark brotherhood) nocturnal (nightingales) that sithis would "win" if he gave enough of a crap, though if your soul is stored into a black soul gem you would probably live forever, or at least until some enchanter uses you to enchant his sword. 

*magical magic stick of magicalness