Blood on Ice won't Start

Guest Beigarth

Question

Guest Beigarth

So I can't acces this quest. I might have entered at night earlier before and the thing at the graveyard might of happened, but for some reason the guards attacked me so I left, when I came back I wasn't paying attention to that quest because I didn't know about it yet. I've finished the main questline and the civil war one, Ulfric is still Jarl, but the person to buy the house from then told me I couldn't. So I looked into it and found this quest. I've done some research, and well I pickpocketed the key to the house and took the evidence, Viola won't talk to me still. (I should add that I killed the owner of the orphanage before I tried this quest.) I'm pretty much stuck and it's a little bit annoying.

5 answers to this question

It is a pretty buggy quest, even after the updates.

If you left the city with Ulfric, the Civil War quests won't affect it.  There are some pre-reqs to start the quest, which include visiting the city at least 4 times and these following conditions.

[*]Enter Windhelm through the main gate, docks, or fast traveling between 7pm - 7am. This triggers the graveyard scene. [*]Tova Shatter-Shield and Arivanya need to be alive.

If Hjerim's lock is "key required", you haven't met these requirements. Otherwise the lock will be a normal master lock. I'm just mentioning all this because it jumped to my mind when you said you had to steal the key to the house.

Viola also isn't a part of the quest until you've done several steps, so it's not alarming she won't respond yet. After the murder scene (which you may or may not have seen, but check the way I mentioned above), Jorleif starts the quest.

Guest Guest

It is a pretty buggy quest, even after the updates.

If you left the city with Ulfric, the Civil War quests won't affect it.  There are some pre-reqs to start the quest, which include visiting the city at least 4 times and these following conditions.

[*]Enter Windhelm through the main gate, docks, or fast traveling between 7pm - 7am. This triggers the graveyard scene.

[*]Tova Shatter-Shield and Arivanya need to be alive.

If Hjerim's lock is "key required", you haven't met these requirements. Otherwise the lock will be a normal master lock. I'm just mentioning all this because it jumped to my mind when you said you had to steal the key to the house.

Viola also isn't a part of the quest until you've done several steps, so it's not alarming she won't respond yet. After the murder scene (which you may or may not have seen, but check the way I mentioned above), Jorleif starts the quest.

What should I do then if Tova is mourning, but also Jorleif won't let me start the quest? I'm sorry for all the trouble...it's just really irritating.