New Skin - Site Update Thread

David

I've decided that I'm going to change the default skin to Developmental. I know that there are tons of bugs and things that straight-up look awful right now, but have some faith that these will be resolved in the future. The main thing I'm aiming for right now is consistency across the entire site. Now that that's resolved, I'm probably going to end up restyling most of the elements that are within the wrapper.

If you really want to use the old default skin it's still available, but you should also tell me what you hate about the new one here so I can fix it. 

• Upvote 1

i Have HUGE gaps at the side :'( makes me depressed

It's supposed to be like that, the width is fixed. I personally find it easier to read even though I have a 1080p screen and have huge gaps like you, because the content isn't drawn out to the extent a paragraph is 1 line of text.

Most sites are fixed width, though I can see why someone wouldn't like it vs the old style.

Made quite a few changes; let me know your thoughts. You will probably need to clear your browser's cache to see them.

I've changed/redesigned the following...

[*]Navigation buttons (the static ones that follow you as your scroll).
      [*]Now indent to tell you what application you're on.

[*]Secondary navigation (the triangular buttons that list the forum structure, i.e. Forum Index > Community Discussion > Thread Name

[*]Added to the "home" application that holds articles. Still seeing if I can remove it on the home page itself since it's dumb there.

[*]The topic view (what you see now) so that the borders of all posts blend into the sides. [*]The board index category blocks have been changed. There are now no borders, and the title areas lost the blue-hue + rounded edges graphic in exchange for what's there now. This changes quite a lot across the site since they were used in several places. [*]Tons of little adjustments to size/borders/etc.

Known Bugs

[*]I'm aware that Gallery is a total mess still. [*]The index of "Blogs" is broken. [*]When posting a topic (not quick reply) the static menu goes behind the post table. [*]Ditto for active tab under member profiles. [*]Sigh.

Whoo for custom things.

Blogs, Store, Gallery, and Downloads have all been updated.

I also added the search bar back after I was about to yell at someone for not using it and then realized it wasn't there. Oops.

All known bugs have been fixed except...

[*]Static menu + posting table [*]Static Menu + active tab. [*]Search bar on mouse-over.

All known bugs have been fixed except...

[*]Static menu + posting table

[*]Static Menu + active tab.

[*]Search bar on mouse-over.

Fixed the last two. As for the other one, though, I have no idea how or why that's happening so we're probably just going to have to live with it. It affects virtually nothing anyway since every just uses quick reply.

I was scared to click VNC, however, as I hoped, it was "View New Content". It's not very self-explanatory.

Changed it back (mostly).

Added fade-in/out to the secondary nav (black bar), mainly because I feel it's a lot smoother. Also added a drop-down to the applications tab for members (though I think it's broken in IE).