Dawnguard DLC quest issues.

Guest Hevimankeli

Question

Guest Hevimankeli

Hello. I didn't really know where else to post this, so I'm hoping to find some help here...I'm having issues with the Dawnguard DLC's 'Bloodline' quest. I've found Serana and brought her to her castle, but when we arrive there (whether by fast-travelling or by boat... haven't tried swimming yet) she won't initiate the dialogue that she's supposed to (I know she's supposed to, I watched a video!). She just follows me to the gate while the grumpy watchman yells at me. I've tried waiting, killing, fast-travelling, tea-bagging, shouting, calling storms and dragons and I've opened the console and typed "ResetAI" and even tried to resurrect her and the gatekeeper, but she just talks about the weather and he still yells at me.I finished Skyrim's main quest before installing Dawnguard around a week ago, but I didn't start doing any Dawnguard quests until yesterday. I found Volkihar Castle before starting the quests, though, could this cause an issue? Or is it an issue with the Hearthfires add-on?I've tried it with and without the Ultimate Follower Overhaul -mod (I have the compatibility patch) and I have the Unofficial patches. The rest of the mods I have are mostly cosmetic mods and I don't think mods that ADD hair colors or -styles could cause the issue?I COULD use the console and the 'setstage' command. Even so, the gates will remain closed and the gatekeeper is still grumpy. If I wait after doing that, Serana somehow manages to smuggle inside, while I'm still outside. I COULD use the TCL command, but using console commands like that makes ME grumpy. I want to play the quest smoothly!I've tried searching the internet, but I haven't found anyone with a issue quite like this. I hope someone can help. :I(Also, I'm not a native English speaker, so try to use small words... :)

I found Volkihar Castle before starting the quests, though, could this cause an issue?

Probably. Per the wiki:

Sometimes the gate to Castle does not open after the gate keeper says his line. This can occur if Castle Volkihar is discovered beforehand, although this is not proven, nor has this yet been addressed by Bethesda.

If you have already discovered Castle Volkihar, then after speaking to Serana for the first time when she is released from the sarcophagus she will automatically initiate dialogue with you that normally occurs shortly after arriving at Castle Volkihar.

The dialogue timing is bugged. I've never heard about this before this post, so I can't offer any advice through personal experience. There's no information out there on how to solve it, so your only option will probably be console commands, unfortunately. Wish I could say more.

Guest Hevimankeli

Ah, I see. It's just that Serana didn't do anything out of the ordinary when I first met her that I didn't want to believe it was because I had found the castle... oh well. :) Thanks, at least now I find it easier to the console commands when I know the other option is to wait for the possible-maybe-future-bugfixing-patch. I think it's silly how a quest can get messed up from finding a location beforehand! I mean, the castle was huge and I could see it from a distance, how could I NOT go and investigate?!Cheers,~Hevi

Guest Nenene

I have the same problem (I also discovered Volkihar Keep before I've started the questline) but I can't use consolecommands because I play PS3 :/ can someone help me to solve the problem without using the console?

Guest Chris

My issue is the same on ps3 I discovered it by randomely walking around then started dawn guard quest and gatekeeper just tells me to get away from castle I tried everything what should I do??

Guest Guest

PS3, found castle which made me decide to start Dawnguard, now I can't get inside. I ended up loading an earlier save (losing two hours, not pleased) but it was already after I discovered the castle. Somebody fix it!

Guest Andreas

Hello. I didn't really know where else to post this, so I'm hoping to find some help here...I'm having issues with the Dawnguard DLC's 'Bloodline' quest. I've found Serana and brought her to her castle, but when we arrive there (whether by fast-travelling or by boat... haven't tried swimming yet) she won't initiate the dialogue that she's supposed to (I know she's supposed to, I watched a video!). She just follows me to the gate while the grumpy watchman yells at me. I've tried waiting, killing, fast-travelling, tea-bagging, shouting, calling storms and dragons and I've opened the console and typed "ResetAI" and even tried to resurrect her and the gatekeeper, but she just talks about the weather and he still yells at me.I finished Skyrim's main quest before installing Dawnguard around a week ago, but I didn't start doing any Dawnguard quests until yesterday. I found Volkihar Castle before starting the quests, though, could this cause an issue? Or is it an issue with the Hearthfires add-on?I've tried it with and without the Ultimate Follower Overhaul -mod (I have the compatibility patch) and I have the Unofficial patches. The rest of the mods I have are mostly cosmetic mods and I don't think mods that ADD hair colors or -styles could cause the issue?I COULD use the console and the 'setstage' command. Even so, the gates will remain closed and the gatekeeper is still grumpy. If I wait after doing that, Serana somehow manages to smuggle inside, while I'm still outside. I COULD use the TCL command, but using console commands like that makes ME grumpy. I want to play the quest smoothly!I've tried searching the internet, but I haven't found anyone with a issue quite like this. I hope someone can help. :I(Also, I'm not a native English speaker, so try to use small words... :)

Get a platter, or a wooden plate. Then start sprinting against the gate while holding the plate. This will glitch you through it. But it might take a few times, so just try again and again. It will most likely work if you have the plate at chest level. Last time I tried it, it only took me once!

Guest the nDevil

So Same issue, went to castle before starting quest proper... Now I can't play the effing $25 glitch filled expansion... Thanks Bethesda, definitely won't be paying for ESO.

Guest Edwardo

Get a platter, or a wooden plate. Then start sprinting against the gate while holding the plate. This will glitch you through it. But it might take a few times, so just try again and again. It will most likely work if you have the plate at chest level. Last time I tried it, it only took me once!

this worked perfectly

Guest irritated

Gate is up and door won't open...serana won't open it old man won't open it...just keeps tlking about serana and harkon and watching the gate...did the plate glitch... Just took me inside the castle graphics...not in castle and door still closed anyone know anything else that could help?

This, it seems ridiculous but it does indeed work!

Guest brandon

didn't discover it before mission. seleana would't talk to me before i got to the gate and the quest got glitched. luckily i had a save point just before the bridge. went back to the save point and ran up the bridge again. seleana talked to me like she was sopose to and all was good again.

I simply walked up to the gate, opened up the console, clicked on the gate and typed in disable. Then walked up to the door and opened it. I figured out how to do all of this simply out of curiosity ans entering the "disable" command. I realize I am a couple years late, but I feel accomplished. You all should feel slow.

Guest Samantha

Get a silver platter (I got mind from blue palace entrance hall in solitude ) drop the platter then, "take it" keep hold of it so its floating about eye level. Whilst holding it sprint against gate around the middle, (took me two tries) :)