Speaking With Silence Bug

JWells245

Question

In the Thieves Guild quest, Speaking With Silence, I have encountered a game-breaking bug.Towards the very end I have gotten to a Dragon Claw Door. Mercy Frey is supposed to open that door, but he will not. He just stands there and has only one dialogue option.Since he won't open the door, I cannot finish the Thieves Guild, also he follows me everywhere I go. Anywhere I try sneaking he will run in and blow my cover. Also, with Mercer following me, I cannot finish the main quest, The Fallen.Just seeing if you could help at all, thank you.

6 answers to this question

If you have a save when the problem first arose (when you were first doing the quest) go back to that and try the following fixes. If you don't, you can try these fixes, but I'm not sure if they will work. Of course, you'll have to walk Mercer back to the door.

[*]Try sprinting into Mercer while he is near the door. Maybe use Unrelenting Force if you have it.

[*]Sometimes saving and reloading will fix this

[*]Try hitting Mercer until he attacks back and sheathing weapons to make him stop attacking you. This may work as well.

I haven't personally encountered that bug, and I believe you're the first to post it here. I have a few ideas at any rate.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Blexun.

Here are a few things you can try...

[*]Saving and reloading the game, as Blexun said.

[*]Try waiting in-game for a couple of hours. It should reset Mercer and he'll hopefully begin the animation as you approach the door.

[*]If all else fails, you will have to revert to a previous save; likely one before that area in the dungeon.

Isn't there a pull chain to the right of the door that leads to the puzzle one? Someone on a different forum seemed to have success triggering that, which reset Mercer and allowed him to open the door.The core problem is just reseting Mercer's AI. If you don't have the PC, the general way of going about that is doing things like waiting (using "Select" on the PS3) for a few in-game hours and then loading the autosave it makes automatically. It's not a sure-fire fix though, so I'm not surprised if it didn't work in your case. Some people have had success doing that and restarting their console, but again, there's no way to be sure.If you do have a PC you can just open the console when next to the door and type in "unlock".