Problem with Smithing and Alchemy

Unknown ProbLem

Question

Smithing:

I have recently found that for whatever reason when Smithing (Tempering a piece of armor, or a weapon) it only goes to fine. I have 100 Smithing and prior to this happening could get at least Epic. I have used the Fority Restoration potion glitch prior, though I've tried removing the armor, dropping it, etc.

Alchemy:

This goes with Alchemy as well. I don't exactly remember the starting % for potions but now, no matter what, it goes only to 4% even when wearing a full set of + Fortify potion gear (25%).

Attempts:

1. For Smithing, I've tried using a previously made Fort. Smith. potion with over 100,000% (which just tempers a weapon waaaay over what it should be, ex: Daedric Bow does 140, now does 5,000) and this won't change it anymore.

2. I've tried removing my Smithing gear, in attempt to see if my actual level 100 skill would do anything, but nothing

3. I've tried the same with Alchemy, aside from #1 because there aren't Fort. Alch. potions in Skyrim (that would be a little redundant) but using the Fortify Restoration potions still do work, which last time i check was a while ago (definitely pre 1.5)

If anybody could help me, that would be incredibly awesome, because I'd like my first original level 81 to be able to finally "work" again.

12 answers to this question

Welcome to the site. :)

Did these problems start happening after you installed a patch? Are you playing on version 1.5? If they suddenly began after you installed a new patch, I'm going to assume you're using a PS3. Try the following:

[*]Game -> Game Data Utility. Delete the game data and updates/patches for Skyrim. Note that this is NOT the same thing as your game saves; this is an entirely different folder than "Saved Data Utility". After the game data is deleted, run Skyrim again and reinstall the data and patches.

And if that doesn't work...

For Smithing, make sure you have the appropriate perks in order to max how much you can improve an item. Though with 100 you should be able to improve items past fine regardless of whether or not you have the perks, investing in them might fix it. I would try that and see if it changes anything. If you don't want to invest in the perks, save before you test it so you can just revert if it doesn't work.

If you were able to do all of that before and it just suddenly stopped working, I'm not really sure what to suggest. Reply back if any of the above works. If not, just say so and we'll try to figure something else out.

Welcome to the site. :)

Did these problems start happening after you installed a patch? Are you playing on version 1.5? If they suddenly began after you installed a new patch, I'm going to assume you're using a PS3. Try the following:

[*]Game -> Game Data Utility. Delete the game data and updates/patches for Skyrim. Note that this is NOT the same thing as your game saves; this is an entirely different folder than "Saved Data Utility". After the game data is deleted, run Skyrim again and reinstall the data and patches.

And if that doesn't work...

For Smithing, make sure you have the appropriate perks in order to max how much you can improve an item. Though with 100 you should be able to improve items past fine regardless of whether or not you have the perks, investing in them might fix it. I would try that and see if it changes anything. If you don't want to invest in the perks, save before you test it so you can just revert if it doesn't work.

If you were able to do all of that before and it just suddenly stopped working, I'm not really sure what to suggest. Reply back if any of the above works. If not, just say so and we'll try to figure something else out.

I currently have an Xbox 360 and am up to date on updates/patches. I have all the perks for Smithing (Steel... etc.) and i have a a couple of perk points into Alchemy. I think the first three (think 5/5 for alchemist as well) And, if my memory serves me right, this has been going on since prior to 1.5.

I'm not sure where the game data/patches are located on the 360, but you could still try deleting and reinstalling that. I really don't know what else could be causing it. Is the issue only on one specific save, or is on others as well? If only one character is affected it wouldn't be the game data.

Yeah, delete the installed game data as well as the patches and then redownload and install them.It's hard to say. It's just something I would try to do since I really don't know what could be the cause of something like that. Again, if your other saves don't have the same issue, then the game data isn't the problem. Your specific save file could just be bugged in that case.

well. it's more or less, at this point the Character itself. Ever since a certain point, it has been like that (I went a while without using enchants etc. so i don't know which save) Not to mention, that i tend to delete a majority of my saves to keep my game running relatively smooth. I'll uninstall the game, and try it without, along with deleting the patches and see how everything goes.I'm going to quickly take a shower, then test it out and i'll report my results. Have you heard of anything like this before? and do you think it may require more looking into?

Guest gatorpossum

Hi, I've had the same problem since summer 2012, also on Xbox. I did exploit the restoration loop around the beginning of that year, but I didn't notice any problems crafting until after installing 1.6. I do have a 'Super Ring of Crafting' I made using the loop that will still let me craft wacky-strong gear, but it's the only way I can improve anything above 'Fine'; I can use aforementioned Ring to craft a broken Fortify Smithing potion, but it has no effect, and neither do any new enchanted items I make (enchanting is my only working crafting skill). This is in spite of the effects showing up under my Active Effects. So yeah, in the same boat, I guess.

Here's my question: any idea if 1.9 will help? As in, if you tag Smithing or Alchemy as 'Legendary' and then grind them up to 100, does that reset them so that they will work again? Just wondering if any PC players with similar issues have had any success with this. I'll report back once the Xbox version goes live, if anyone is still interested interested.