Becoming thane help

Guest Joe

Question

Hello, this may seem like a silly question, but looking online has not given me a definite answer.

I want to become thane of the Rift. I have already done everything I need to do minus purchasing th house. Once I buy the house I should be able to become the thane. I HAVE NOT joined either side of the civil war (Imperials/stormcloaks), but I would possibly like to join the Imperials. I hear that getting this house/thaneship is extremely glitchy. So here comes my question which is multi layered.

1.How do I become thane of the rift while minimizing glitches?

2.Should I purchase my house and become thane right now, having completed all the quests required if I plan on joining the imperials later?

3. If I am already thane and plan on joining up with the Imperials, thus leaving maven blackbriar in charge, will that remove my thaneship and if so, how would I return to being the thane and would I need to re-buy the house?

I am sorry this is so lengthy, just wanted to iron out all of the details. Thank you for all of your help!

3 answers to this question

I have the answer to number 3, as I sided with the Stormcloaks and replaced Jarl Balgruuf.You lose your thaneship. However, all you need to do is talk to them about becoming thane again. They will tell you about buying a house, and helping the citezens. However, these have already been done your first time, so the quest will instantly be fulfilled. You only need to talk to them again to restore your thaneship.

I have the answer to number 3, as I sided with the Stormcloaks and replaced Jarl Balgruuf.You lose your thaneship. However, all you need to do is talk to them about becoming thane again. They will tell you about buying a house, and helping the citezens. However, these have already been done your first time, so the quest will instantly be fulfilled. You only need to talk to them again to restore your thaneship.

Thank you for the heads up! That's extremely helpful. I'll be sure to try it out once I get to my console again. Good to hear that there is not a separate line of things to do or a need to rebuy the house. Also, I've not been to this site before but that was a very fast reply and it is greatly appreciated.Thanks again.

The absolute best way to minimize glitches while acquiring thaneship/buying the Riften house is to either do the Civil War quests up to the point Maven is put in charge or do the Seasons Unending quests (main quest where you host a peace council between the Imperials and Stormcloaks) so Maven is put in charge. Just make sure there aren't any quests involving her in progress before you ask.