Skyrim - Game Freezes When Entering Water [Fix]

wylliam

Question

This is a problem with the new patch. Fortunately the fix is quite simple and harmless.

Directions

1. Navigate to the "Game" category on the navigation menu. It's the same place you navigate to launch your games.
  2. Find the "Game Data Utility" folder. DO NOT go to the "Saved Data Utility" folder, which contains your game saves.
  3. Delete the game data (titled "Skyrim") and the updates/patches (titled "Skyrim Update") from "Game Data Utility".
  4. After that, you'll have to run the game and it will re-install the game files automatically. If you deleted the patch (as you should have), it will also re-download and install the most recent patch assuming you are connected to the internet.

Oh, and you don't need to create a new topic to reply: just use the form at the bottom of this page. Let us know if the solution works or not. You don't need to create an account to reply, but having one makes it easier and opens up numerous other features here. Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

EDIT: There are two folders that keep Skyrim data under the "GAME" category on the XMB (the navigational bar) that people are confusing...

• Game Data Utility
  • Saved Data Utility (PS3)

"Saved Data Utility" contains your game saves (profile data, characters, etc.); you do NOT touch anything in this folder. "Game Data Utility" is where you need to look. It contains two files: "Skyrim" (file installed off the disc the first time you play) and "Skyrim Update" (patches downloaded from the internet). Neither of these are related to your game saves, and need to be deleted for this fix to work.

• Upvote 1

Where's the patch data located at?

It's a file located in the same place as the game data in the "Game Data Utility" folder. Unless I'm mistaken, the game data file is just titled "Skyrim" and the patches/updates are titled "Skyrim Update." They should be right next to each other. Note that if you've never gone on the internet to download/install the patches, they won't appear... Though this issue is related specifically with patch 1.05.

Right I did get the 1.5 update online but I didn't see anything but the game data and my saves in the game utility, Nothing related to the updates so I deleted that and it still hasn't updated yet. Sorry I'm totally lame!

Do you still have the freezing issue? If you don't have the patch you shouldn't have the freezing issue either, as they're directly related.Make sure you're looking in the "Game Data Utility" folder, and not "Saved Game Utility" or whatever its called. Your save data is not in the same location as what you should be deleting.

Deleted game data via utility. Now when I want to load the saved game, the game responds saying the loaded game data was from a later version, please load the later version. So, do I have to wait for another game fix to continue the game?(By the way, I thought all future fixes were going to be well thought out before release!)

Guest the choosen one

Skyrim. Im having the same problem. The game freezes when I go inside water. I tried using fire spells and for god sake I even put on a warm coat. Dou you think is because skyrim is below zero? Anyway! Please give me a advice. I already tried to erase and re install. I'm very, very far and invested many hours in the game and would hate to start all over again. Many thanks