Trinity Restored (Karliah bug NOT ANSWERED ANYWHERE)

Guest ZBoss

Question

Guest ZBoss

I'm playing the PC version of Skyrim. I know many people have supposedly answered or found ways to fix this bug, but none of them have helped me. Regardless of what I do Karliah walks away from the chain. I've tried everything so far from bumping Karliah up the stairs before I answer "Yes, I'm ready." I've faced towards the armor stornes making her walk up the stairs to ask me, but she STILL turns around and walks away. She only goes partially up the stairs too, if I go too close to the gate she turns back around to the center of the room. It's like she heads for 2 seconds towards the chain, and then bugs out and walks away, EVEN when she's right on top of the chain. (Yes, I've gone through the whole conversation with her). The ONLY time I've been able to get her to click the chain is when I've entered the console and typed "placeatme" BUT then she simply pulls the chain over and over and over and the gate never opens. I've also tried stopping her with "push shout" and running into her after her first pull, but the gate still doesn't open?! It's incredibly frustrating. What else can I do? I've reloaded all over the place and the bug keeps happening.I don't want to simply type in the code to jump to the next area and miss the cutscene, and also make it impossible to ever get into the cave area again so what can I do? Has anyone else found another way to make Karliah open the chain? Or is there a mod fixing this HUGE bug that makes the rest of the quest impossible to complete? Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

19 answers to this question

That's odd, I've heard of a few bugs involving that quest but the Karliah thing is new to me.

"setstage TG08A 57" will move the quest to the next stage, but like you said you would miss the cutscene. I'm just mentioning this for others who find your question via search and may just want a quick fix.

The wiki mentions a fix by standing closer to the gate while Karliah is speaking and asks you to accept the oath. You mentioned something similar in your post, but is this exactly what you were talking about?

Standing on the steps and waiting for her to come to you is the simplest way to prevent her from wandering off. This will cause Karliah to open the gate rather than walk back to Riften.

Here's another fix that I've edited a bit to make more sense...

[*]Karliah can be fixed when she stops to have the final chat, in the chamber with the 8 fires. Stand with your back to the barred ritual chamber and your face pointing to the stones where you get your armor. She will start walking in the good direction, towards the barred door and you MUST save the game at this point. When she reaches the barred door, she will use the chain one time too many and the bars will drop and then raise again (if you do nothing). Instead, wait until she has pulled the chain once, and then quickly use Unrelenting Force to blast her into the next room. Once she picks herself up, the rest of the quest will continue normally.

Again, these are just basic fixes people have mentioned in the wiki, along with a few others. If those are what you were unsuccessfully trying before, or don't work, just respond back and we'll try to figure something else out. Worst case you might have to reload a previous save if that's a practical suggestion.

Thank you for your help, ya I really didn't want to jump to far ahead and miss something, I did that with my first toon a lot cause of bugs. I finally was able to fix it, kinda. I'll explain below so anyone else who encounters the same problems as me where the basic fixes in the wikia really don't help can move forward without missing anything.First when Brynjolf and Karliah spoke in the area with all the torches, I ran to the chain. I let them have their conversation. Then I entered the console. I typed "Prid 00058F1A" I hit return. Then I typed in moveto player. I exited the console and it jumped Karliah to me standing at the chain. She asked her questions, and then moved to the chain and pulled it. To stop her from doing the "Multiple Pull" bug I spoke to her immediately after she pulled the chain once. This lowered the gate, but she still bugged out and left, but the gate was finally lowered.My next issue was that Karliah left the cave instead of going to her spot, and Brynjolf wouldn't move into the cavern area to take his place either. With neither of them in their spots I couldn't completed the next part to enable the cut scene. I tried moving both him and Karliah to their spots manually using the "moveto", but when I moved them they would immediately leave the pedestal and move away. Finally I found the code to enable the cut scene. So I summoned bothed Karliah and Brynjolf into the room with me, (Same code as above for Karliah Brynjolf's code is 00020545) then when they were right next to me I typed in "setstage TG08A 55) That completed the mission part for me to stand on the step and forced the NPCs to take their spots in order to start the cutscene.Hope this helps anyone else having issues. Big pain in the butt I know, but at least you can manage around it.

Guest Diego

HI, I got it working at last. no secondary effects ;) I removed any weapon or accessory that is not requested, I wait for her to ask me if Im ready, 2 stepd after de stairs. that makes her walk into the correct direction, then she continues like it should! hope it helps

Guest Xardas

my deepest thanks to the user Zach for accurately writing down how to fix the bug.I did exactely what he did and it worked out well! When I moved her to me with the console cheat she pulled the chain just once, both her and Brynjolf walked into their spots without further troubles and the game went smoothly without bugging till the cutscene and the next quest was given.Thank you so much, again!

Guest Jess

Zach that was great. After pulling the chain and talking to her quickly she entered the cave and everything worked perfectly. If you're a PC user definitely use zachs method.

Guest Gorogh

What worked for me after Karliah wouldn't open the gate: I simply (well, after trying various things for half an hour) jumped to the end of the quest by setstage TG08A 200, which duly started the next quest. To my surprise, though, Karliah and Brynjolf would just continue with Trinity Restored anyway, so I got to see the whole cutscene and had all conversation just like in the normal level progression.

Guest Simon Howe

Thanks Zach :smile: , couple of things...

I wonder if having certain mods installed is a thing which sparks this bug? I have a couple of dozen mods installed now and it bugged. When my daughter played it last year with no mods installed it was fine. Anyway, after moving Karliah to me in the way you describe above (over by the gate and after her conversation with Brynjolf), she just started to walk away, and I had to deliberately speak to (activate) her, in order for her to ask me her question about being ready to take the oath. I answered yes (don't bother with the other conversation option). She then pulled the chain just the once, and she and Brynjolf both then moved to their relevant places in the chamber. They just stood there looking at me standing in my circle until I entered "setstage TG08A 55" into the console. Everything then went smoothly and according to plan. Don't be tempted to enter the "setstage..." command early hoping you'll jump ahead. Do it after getting into the chamber and taking your positions, otherwise, although you have the conversation with Nocturnal, it is still bugged and everyone just stands there waiting for christmas [sic].

From reading here it looks like different people have slightly different ways this bug manifests for them, but seems like Zach has the answers that work for all, just may not work in exactly the same way he describes. Try slightly different varients of the method and you should find one that works for you. It's a bit of a ball-ache, but it will get you through it.

Again thanks,

Simon Howe

I just exited the game and disabled my addins that were to do with followers and such and it worked fine. I think it was my follower addin as they seem to act as followers during the quest.

Guest Clemons

Thank you for replying back with your fix, I'm sure that will help a ton of players. You'd be surprised at how many people end up on the site from googling questions like this looking for answers. :)

That helped me too, thanks a lot.

Guest Ember Quill

Disable the bars in console and input setstage TG08A 52  

This is what finally worked for me.  Using placeatme as suggested above didn't work, as I couldn't talk to her and she would just start walking away again.

I'm tempted to blame the "Amazing Follower Tweaks" mod, as I believe that's the only follower mod I'm using at the moment and this didn't happen the last time I did this questline when I was still using UFO.

I tried all the moveto tricks and had no luck.  I am using AFT as well, so that may be the culprit.

What I did to fix it was pretty simple though.  Went back to a save before she talks to Brynjolf, while she was talking to him I stood behind her like I was following her into the tunnel.  I kept clicking her and getting the "Busy" message, but as soon as she was available I talked to her, and answered yes.  She turned around and headed for the chain and I was able to complete the quest just fine.

I think her pathing expects to leave the spot where she has the conversation with Brynolf, if she moves to talk to you after that she ends up walking back to Riften instead, at least that is my best guess.  If no other fixes work try this before pushing the quest forward.

Guest Demon

Hello, I've been having a problem where Karliah just stands at the entrance and when I tried to get her to move nothing worked, not even the console comands.

Someone please help.