The NPD Groupss August findings paint a somber picture of the gaming industry. Total retail sales fell 20% year over year, while non-PC hardware in particular tanked nearly 40%. This downward trend is similar to the findings published about the month of July
. The rest of report is detailed below...
AUGUST 2012 US GAME SALES
The following represent the overall sales in U.S. dollars.
- Total retail sales: $515.6 million (-20%)
- Non-PC hardware: $150.6 million (-39%)
- Non-PC software: $237.7 million (-9%)
- Accessories: $127.3 million (-7%)
- Total software: $252.8 million (-11%)
TOP 10 GAMES FOR AUGUST 2012
Title (Platforms) - Publisher
- Darksiders II (X360, PS3, PC) - THQ
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - Nintendo
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS) - Square Enix
- NCAA Football 13 (X360, PS3) - Electronic Arts
- LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (X360, Wii, 3DS, DS, PS3, PS Vita, PC) - Warner Bros. Interactive
- Sleeping Dogs (X360, PS3) - Square Enix
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (X360, PS3) - Activision Blizzard
- Batman: Arkham City (X360, PS3, PC) - Warner Bros. Interactive
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (X360, PS3, PC, DS, Wii) - Activision Blizzard
- The Amazing Spider-Man (X360, PS3, DS, 3DS, Wii) - Activision Blizzard
The console wars continue with the Xbox 360 leading the sales pack with 193,000 units; a figure that has slowed as consumers begin to anticipate the next generation of gaming consoles.