Reset "The Jagged Crown" via console commands in order to do "Seasons Unending," unable to continue TJC

apos

Question

(I'm on PC and am trying to join the Stormcloaks)

I encountered an issue that was, apparently, supposed to have been fixed in the 1.4 patch. I had completed "Joining the Stormcloaks" and had begun "The Jagged Crown," and I had gotten the "Seasons Unending" quest from the Greybeards. However, I was unable to start the dialogue with Ulfric and ask him to attend the peace meeting. So I did what any frustrated gal would do, and I googled the problem. The first result I found pertaining to my problem suggested that I use the "resetquest" console command on "The Jagged Crown" quest, so that's what I did, and it worked- I could talk to Ulfric again without him telling me I should be with Galmar.

So I went through the entirety of the main questline and then some before I decided that I wanted to the Civil War quests. But when I went to Ulfric and Galmar to get "The Jagged Crown" quest, they had their little conversation about the Crown and then... nothing.

I'm not given the quest, no matter how many times I use console commands to reset the quest- I even tried changing the stage using the setstage commands, but nada. Nothin. Talking to Galmar gives me the two generic questions that he has as basic dialogue, and it's the same with Ulfric.

I would really prefer to not have to go all the way back to my last save before I reset the quest, because then I would have to redo the rest of the main questline after the peace treaty. 

Is there any way for me to resolve this issue? No console commands that I have tried are working, and whenever I use that sqv command then it says that it's "stopped" and not enabled. Startquest doesn't work either.

I've tried just going to the dungeon, and I went through the whole thing and nabbed the Crown itself (the Imperials weren't hostile- there was a group of Stormcloaks waiting outside the dungeon, but neither Galmar or Ralof were there) but I couldn't give it to Ulfric, not even when I used setstage to the stage where you're supposed to give it to him.

Completequest does pop up with the "Completed: The Jagged Crown," but then I am unable to start the next quest even with console commands.

Is there any way to fix this, or am I just screwed?

5 answers to this question

The Civil War quest line has quite a few bugs, so it's not surprising that you've ran into issues. However, they're normally very easy to solve using the setstage command so long as you're willing to bypass a bit of role-playing. The fact that you've already tried setstage without success is a bit worrying; it may indicate that you've caused some issues with previous commands that weren't apparent until now. 

Completequest shouldn't ever be used. It's a buggy command and it's hard to ever be sure what's going on with it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just updates the journal (hence your "Completed" pop-up) without actually changing anything else. Setstage is a better alternative.

What stage of Jagged Crown were you supposed to be at prior to doing completequest? I'm assuming resetquest put you at stage 0 -- i.e. "I've decided to help the Stormcloaks drive the Empire out of Skyrim. I should talk to Galmar Stone-Fist to get my first assignment." -- but did you successfully do anything after that?

Assuming 1) you haven't saved your game since trying completequest, and 2) that you have the crown in your possession, try the following.

setstage CW02B 180

Alternatively, try the following two commands in succession...

resetquest CW02B
setstage CW02B 30 

Let me know what happens (if anything). 

Thanks for the response!

I was at the part where I was supposed meet up with the Stormcloaks outside of the dungeon that the Jagged Crown is in, before I reset it.

I did have a few saves before the completequest command, but trying those commands unfortunately did nothing. I have no idea what would cause them to not work :(

also, for future ref. You don't need to console code that, you can just start fighting the war with the stormcloaks for one or two quests and you will be given the opportunity to converse with Ulfric at some point about the peace con. patience, there are certain things about being a stormcloak that need to be moved out of the way first.

If this doesnt make any sense its because i was too lazy to read further than the first paragraph of the first post of this thread... my bad.