Steam issues, game launching delays

Buttons

Question

Today Steam has been giving me some dramas. these dramas only started a few hours ago. whenever i click on the game, to play, a grey box comes up that says "Updating the Elder scrolls V: Skyrim". below this Updating Elder Scrolls" title is an empty triangular outline/box. below that it says, "ready to launch". below that is a tick-box option to "Launch game as soon as its ready". and below that it has two other options 1. View updates, and 2. Play Game. 

I am unable to click on the Play Game option, so the only choice i have is to click on the "launch game as soon as its ready" box. and then i have to wait like 5 minutes before the game does launch. Steam also says it "has" updated, past tense, yet this new interference suggests otherwise. Can somebody tell me what the hell is going on???? its really pissing me off. 

Also, for the last couple of days, i've been getting some writing at the bottom of the Steam home page which says, uploading 0 0f 1 item complete....

Update: Here are images of the download page. it keeps saying that it is "starting" the download, then it changes is mind and re-schedules a new time to commence the download. and then it just goes around in circles changing back and forth between these two pages, each time revealing a new re-scheduling prediction.

GFfWiiE.jpg

GEXa5rF.jpg

8 answers to this question

Well thanks for the feedback. appreciated. always good to know we've got friends online right?

So, seeing I don't know what I'm doing, i decided to uninstall/re-install steam. It fixed the issue, at least for now, but i did lose the game in the process, not to mention all my mods, and so i had to download everything all over again. But like i said, thank you, all thirteen of my posts viewers were a tone of help. really. 

I know, but I didn't really have the time to wait for whenever someone decided to get around to it....

Well thanks for the feedback. appreciated. always good to know we've got friends online right?

So, seeing I don't know what I'm doing, i decided to uninstall/re-install steam. It fixed the issue, at least for now, but i did lose the game in the process, not to mention all my mods, and so i had to download everything all over again. But like i said, thank you, all thirteen of my posts viewers were a tone of help. really. 

I know, but I didn't really have the time to wait for whenever someone decided to get around to it....

You really have to have patience with these things - This is a community forum, not customer service. I'm sure of those thirteen post viewers, had they known how to solve the issue, help would have been extended, but this doesn't appear to be a common issue - I sure has hell don't know how to fix it (also haven't seen it until now).

Anyway. If you want to keep your games when re-installing Steam, back-up your Steamapps folder (or delete everything besides it, I guess). That folder is usually found at C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps (or Program Files (x86)). Just for future reference really; I'm not sure if it would still have solved your problem if you hadn't re-installed Skyrim in the process.

You really have to have patience with these things - This is a community forum, not customer service. I'm sure of those thirteen post viewers, had they known how to solve the issue, help would have been extended, but this doesn't appear to be a common issue - I sure has hell don't know how to fix it (also haven't seen it until now).

Anyway. If you want to keep your games when re-installing Steam, back-up your Steamapps folder (or delete everything besides it, I guess). That folder is usually found at C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps (or Program Files (x86)). Just for future reference really; I'm not sure if it would still have solved your problem if you hadn't re-installed Skyrim in the process.

Thank you, Fergal. I've been a lil cranky lately. I know it's a support forum, but i don't really have a life beyond this chair... (sulk-sulk) However, and as you suggested and as i found out on the web, i did actually remove my steamapps from c:\ program files (x86) before uninstalling steam, but the only problem is that i didn't really know where to put them.... so i just stuck them in my Documents folder instead of onto an external hard-rive. I'm a dumbass!  Fortunately it wasn't too much an issue re-installing Skyrim; i have it on a disc so i didn't have to pay a shitload of credit on my prepaid rip-off account. The other fortunate thing is that i didn't lose all my saves; but i just kinda took a chance on that one... 

My bad, but thanks again for replying. I appreciate it. By the way, I'm going to be buying one of those graphic cards you mentioned in my earlier post about videoing game-play with that shadow-thingy. I'm hoping it will be as easy as just plugging it into a slot in the front of my tower....  Speaking of sticking things in slots, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna have to get laid soon ;)

And one more thing, I apologize if i offended anybody else with my cranky-pants posting yesterday. Please, feel free to punish me... i don't mind a little slapping back there. haha....

Thank you, Fergal. I've been a lil cranky lately. I know it's a support forum, but i don't really have a life beyond this chair... (sulk-sulk) However, and as you suggested and as i found out on the web, i did actually remove my steamapps from c:\ program files (x86) before uninstalling steam, but the only problem is that i didn't really know where to put them.... so i just stuck them in my Documents folder instead of onto an external hard-rive. I'm a dumbass!  Fortunately it wasn't too much an issue re-installing Skyrim; i have it on a disc so i didn't have to pay a shitload of credit on my prepaid rip-off account. The other fortunate thing is that i didn't lose all my saves; but i just kinda took a chance on that one... 

My bad, but thanks again for replying. I appreciate it. By the way, I'm going to be buying one of those graphic cards you mentioned in my earlier post about videoing game-play with that shadow-thingy. I'm hoping it will be as easy as just plugging it into a slot in the front of my tower....  Speaking of sticking things in slots, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna have to get laid soon ;)

And one more thing, I apologize if i offended anybody else with my cranky-pants posting yesterday. Please, feel free to punish me... i don't mind a little slapping back there. haha....

No worries, just wanted to put it out there!

There really is nothing wrong with throwing the Steamapps folder in your documents when re-installing Steam, because it shouldn't remove the directory if it's not in the correct place. (Or am I wrong? Did it?)

With regard to the GPU, a NVIDIA GTX 650 or higher is required, so if unsure, I'd double check if it supports Shadowplay - so that will cost you something like at least $100 I guess at the bare minimum new. Not terribly difficult to install (assuming your motherboard is new enough to support PCI-express slots - not (just) PCI), but it would be inside the tower. Good luck with both of your slots. ;)

No worries, just wanted to put it out there!

There really is nothing wrong with throwing the Steamapps folder in your documents when re-installing Steam, because it shouldn't remove the directory if it's not in the correct place. (Or am I wrong? Did it?)

With regard to the GPU, a NVIDIA GTX 650 or higher is required, so if unsure, I'd double check if it supports Shadowplay - so that will cost you something like at least $100 I guess at the bare minimum new. Not terribly difficult to install (assuming your motherboard is new enough to support PCI-express slots - not (just) PCI), but it would be inside the tower. Good luck with both of your slots. ;)

As for the removing of the directory, I'm not sure, I tried putting the steamapps back in their original place after the re-installation of steam (just in case i needed to do that), but it didn't take, which was when i realized that i did the copy-and-paste rather than the cut-and-paste when i moved it. in affect i guess i really didn't move it at all, just duplicated it... So I'm guessing that is what caused the issue. oops...

Hmm, my computer is only a year old, new enough. But i was hoping i could just "stick it in a slot" rather than open up the tower, as that sort of operation makes me nervous. Well it would make me nervous if i got someone else to do it, especially in a small city like this where it is really hard to find someone to do a decent job of anything at all. Seriously, its terrible here. but if its not a difficult operation then i guess i could try it myself. At least id only have myself to blame if something went wrong. Be a bit like a dermatologist performing bypass surgery....

Copy and paste doesn't create a shortcut, it creates a copy - that is, it should still be there if you pasted it before the original was deleted. Cut and paste just allows pasting after the file has been cut.

It's not a terribly difficult job to install, but you'd want to watch a video on how to because you need to hook up a power cable to it too. But there are plenty of videos showing that on YouTube anyway.