How do you make characters look younger?

Casey

Question

3 answers to this question

Unfortunately i think Skyrim only allows for a minimal age bracket when it comes to appearance.  I think there might be some mods out there that can help someone look younger in game, at least a little bit. Sorry, i don't know what mods they are because i hear that they may create a few glitches. but that's only what i hear. Now, im not a computer wiz, but i also hear that there is software available that allows a person to generate their own face in-game, in affect, allow a person to play as an animated version of themself. Don't ask me how its done, i don't know, all i know is that the technology does exist. 

What i can help with is some pointers on what features makes a person look younger, that way you can try and manipulate the games program as best you can.

So here we go:

1. generally a younger person will have bigger eyes, this is because their eyes grow very little in their life, while their head starts off a considerable amount smaller than it will be. 

2. from the time of birth a persons jaws will also have more growing to do than their cranium, meaning that the younger the person the bigger/taller their forehead, and the smaller their chin/jaw. 

3. cheekbones also become more dominant with age. so make your face rounder and softer if you want a youthful look. this means you should make the cheekbones narrower and lower for a younger person. generally speaking. 

4. noses never really stop growing  so the older you are the bigger your nose is. same with the ears but the Skyrim game doesn't allow to change the ear size so...

5. freckles also help to portray youth.

6. putting lipstick and eye-shadow or any type of make-up on a woman, or a man for that matter, makes them look older, not younger. Same goes with dirt and scars.

7. despite what many people who spend their time basking in the sun believe, a tan or darker complexion also creates a look of aging.

8. And yeah, try and keep away from the in-game races that automatically show more lines on their face, lines mean wrinkles. wrinkles mean aging....

There are probably a few other points i could touch on, but most of it is common sense that relates to a persons natural growth pattern. but if i remember any other helpful tips i will be sure to add them here later

Ok Casey you inspired me with your post, so i spent yesterday working at creating the youngest looking character i could. The only problem is that i did need to use skin texture, hair style/color and eye color mods (all available on Steam) to try and deceive my eye into believing the character looks younger even though - if she had any of the standard Nord hair and eye colors, she would pretty much look about the same age as any other Skyrim character.  However, I don't know if you go for the whole hot-pink-pop-culture look, and if you don't like it then you could probably create someone even younger with regular coloring by using an Anime or child-face mod of some kind. But Buttons wouldn't go that far.....

So anyway - she's not exactly lore abiding - but thanks to your inspiration here are a few pics of my newest character. Her name is Angel:

YArTH9n.jpg      641mOSC.jpg     uJOvzBS.jpg                                           4BHYRLF.jpg   

1OtVtoJ.jpg

O7i4b1M.jpg

WHVGxow.jpg   

Here are the mods i loaded, but i didn't use them all:

1. Radioreggae's Hair Workshop 2

2. Purple eyes

3. Geass Eyes

4. All eyes for non-beast races

5. luscious faces - photo realisctic

6. Milva - nord face preset

7. More hair colors