Can't hand in quests or start new ones

HannahhRawwrr

Question

Help!! I just got married and started the speaking in silence quest, i claimed the ladder and pulled the chain but the secret door wouldn't open, tried a few times before deciding to go through the ratway I traveled to snow veil sanctum to start the quest and realise the quest marker wasn't showing up but was turned on, I then walked around for a bit waiting for mercer but he never showed, I tried going back to the thieves guild and still nothing, since discovering this I cannot hand in or accept quests, I have tried reloading and nothing! But my partners game works perfectly I noticed some corrupt files on mine and deleted them but the bloody thing won't work!! Is there anything I can do

6 answers to this question

When you say you tried reloading, did you "save then load", or did you actually shut the game down and start it up again?

If you have already tried shutting it down and starting it up again, then have you tried going back to a save point before the trouble began?

I'm assuming you are on PS or Xbox....

Ps3, yeah tried all that :( but it's just not working

I'm clutching at straws here, but has your partner completed the same Speaking In Silence quest you are attempting? If not, then try that, see if the same thing happens. This would be a lot easier to solve if you were on pc  :sweat:

One other thing, have you spoken to the quest giver correctly and gotten all the information you need to start the quest? sometimes you need to finish a conversation with someone properly, especially in the guild, even though the quest has come up as started. But again, I'm clutching at straws....

Wait, are you saying that going back a savepoint before the trouble began didn't work? Because that would be odd....

My partner finished the quest and his still works fine.

I sould have got it for PC,

Less trouble.

No saves before it as it auto saved after u got the quest then after getting to SVS then shortly after reloading and it only has the three there :(

I don't know if I'm on the right track here, so correct me if I've wasted my time, but i looked up How To Restore Data Files On PS3 on Utube, and this is what i learnt. But i think you might already now this, but worth a try anyway:

1) Turn the playstation off by holding down the power button. hold it down until you hear two beeps and the light turns red. Then Release the button.

2) Now you must hold the power button down again until you hear one beep, follow soon by two more quick beeps, and then the system will start up again and you can release the button again. Now there should be a number of options displayed on your screen. 

3) From what i can gather you simply choose the option: REBUILD DATABASE

4) Then, from what i can gather, choose the option: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM.

5) It then takes about a minute or so for the system to restore the files, and then you should be good to go.... In theory. 

6) Good luck Hannah. Let me know how you go.

I don't know if I'm on the right track here, so correct me if I've wasted my time, but i looked up How To Restore Data Files On PS3 on Utube, and this is what i learnt. But i think you might already now this, but worth a try anyway:

1) Turn the playstation off by holding down the power button. hold it down until you hear two beeps and the light turns red. Then Release the button.

2) Now you must hold the power button down again until you hear one beep, follow soon by two more quick beeps, and then the system will start up again and you can release the button again. Now there should be a number of options displayed on your screen. 

3) From what i can gather you simply choose the option: REBUILD DATABASE

4) Then, from what i can gather, choose the option: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM.

5) It then takes about a minute or so for the system to restore the files, and then you should be good to go.... In theory. 

6) Good luck Hannah. Let me know how you go.

That won't restore the Skyrim files -- they're not gone, just overwritten as an autosave. I'd advise against doing the above because there's a chance you'll actually lose files and/or settings.

Help!! I just got married and started the speaking in silence quest, i claimed the ladder and pulled the chain but the secret door wouldn't open, tried a few times before deciding to go through the ratway 

You're talking about the Thieves guild base, correct? This shouldn't have anything to do with the quest issues.

Please refer to this guide. Before anything else, make sure you've done the pre-requisite quest, Scoundrel's Folly. If everything appears to be in order, follow the detailed walkthrough for as long as you can until you run into trouble. Then you can post back here with the specific paragraph you can't complete so we're all on the same page.