how do you to put mods on skyrim

Guest newport hayden

Question

2 answers to this question

Hey Newport Hayden! I just spent the night learning, going through, and downloading mods. I'm very happy that I figured it out. It's a little embarrassing just how easy it was. Given the response time on this site I figured I better work it out myself :smile:.  I've downloaded 11 in the last few hours so I'm think'n I've got it sussed, but I only know how to do it through Steam. Anything more than that and I'm lost. There was one I wanted which wasn't supported by steam because of its size, but I won't go for it until I work out how to drop files in different places. whatever that means....

So anyway, here is what I learnt:

1. Go into your Steam account, Which I'm assuming you have on your pc. If not, don't bother reading on.

2. Hover your mouse-arrow thingy over the title that says Community at the top of the steam page. a list will then come up, at which point you click on the Workshop option.  

3. Once you have clicked on Workshop a bunch of games will show up below. One of these games will have the title Skyrim, believe it or not! I suggest you click on that....

4. Next, once you have clicked on Skyrim, a bunch of mods will come up for you to browse over. Usually the most popular ones come up first, at which point you could click on the Show All, an option which you should be able to find around the place

5. Unfortunately, however, there are over 23000 mods relating to Skyrim, unless my eyes were deceiving me. So in order to bring your options down a notch, what you could do is look to the right-hand side of your display. There you will find a list of all the different categories of mods. At the top of the list is Armor, then Audio, then books and so on and so forth.... So, once you have found the category you want, click on that too! Doing so will bring your options down from many thousand to a couple of hundred, generally. (Lets say you want a clothing mod; just find clothing and click on it.) Then you just go through and find the mod that is most appealing to you. Might take a few hours....

6. Once you have found the mod you desire, click on it, and that will bring up a more detailed write up about it. I also suggest you go to the bottom of that same write up and read other peoples feedback. This should inform you as to whether it is a relatively safe mod or not. For instance, If someone has written to the author of the mod complaining about glitches, then maybe it would be best that you don't download that one. Just my opinion. HOWEVER, if everything you read seems to check out just fine, then find the green rectangular box that says SUBSRCIBE, and click on that as well.

7. And... that's about all you have to do....

8. The next time you click on your Skyrim game, and the box comes up that gives you the option to PLAY, don't click on it! wait a moment, and you will see that beneath the options some writing comes up saying that the system is downloading 1 of 1 mods. Wait until that writing tells you that its finished synchronizing, at which point you will be good to go!!!! You've done it!!!!!

9. Keep in mind, If you ever want to play the game without the mod, go to the front page of your game again, where it has the PLAY option, and click on your DATA FILES option. This will bring up all the relative downloads to your skyrim game, including your newest mod. Next to the mod you will find a little box with a tick in it. click on that box and the tick goes away. You can then play the game without the mod. To play with the mod again, reverse that action.

Ok then... thank you for your time.  Hope this works for you.