How do you share pictures / images on this site?

By the way, on an unrelated topic that I'd prefer not to start a new Questions and Help Post over, could you please tell me how to add pics from my pc disc to the general discussion page of this site? (use very concise wording) And also how to transfer pics from other internet sites to the post page of general discussion as well? I've seen you and other people do it now and then with what seems like incredible ease... Simple things like that aren't so easy for Buttons. I've tried clicking the attachment thingy at the bottom of the new post page but the options are limited. and I also tried copy/paste, that didn't work either....

You should have see how long it took me to figure out how to do something as simple as reduce the MB size of the turtle pic so I could add it to my profile, so many hours wasted and I don't even remember how I did it.

EDIT:

Also, I've still been trying to add pictures to a post on this site from my computer, and nothing I do there seems to work either.... Post/paste isn't happening. And I don't want to do the attach file option, I want to paste it directly onto the page so I can use the photo as a reference, you know? I've seen you and other people do it. I've searched the web for answers too but I don't think I'm asking the right question.... Not being able to post a reference pic on a post is very embarrassing! It should be as simple as going into my pics file and pressing a couple of keys.

Again, it's very embarrassing, and so is not being able to scroll up and down in console. Please relieve me of my embarrassments.... before I'm forced to launch more posts on the topic. That would be even more embarrassing.

Buttons embarrassed  :ohmy:

makes sense....

So, on an unrelated topic, still unable to share pics on this site. Any thoughts on the pic pasting thing I may have mentioned once or twice? I think its embarrassing to start a new post on it, and I will delete all questions regarding it once you have provided a possible solution.... You told me you tend to be lazy but a few notes that could help me along shouldn't be so hard on you I wouldn't think... would it?  ;-)

makes sense....

So, on an unrelated topic, still unable to share pics on this site. Any thoughts on the pic pasting thing I may have mentioned once or twice? I think its embarrassing to start a new post on it, and I will delete all questions regarding it once you have provided a possible solution.... You told me you tend to be lazy but a few notes that could help me along shouldn't be so hard on you I wouldn't think... would it?  ;-)

To post an image, you have to click the image button in the editor and then past the URL to whatever image you want to post into the resulting form.

zmv1lly.png

You can click to enlarge the above image.

Getting Image from Webpage

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you can get the URL you paste above by right clicking any image and selecting "Copy Image URL" (chrome) or the Firefox equivalent. IE might have a similar option, I'm not positive. 

Getting Image from your Computer

You'll need to upload your image to an image host so you can copy the url and link to it. Imgur is probably the most popular option these days. After you upload your image there, you can either do the same right click -> copy image URL as above, or if you click the image you'll be provided with a "Direct Link" option on the right of the image.

If you'd prefer to stay on this site, you can use our gallery, so long as the image you're trying to share fits into one of our categories. Premium Members have their own hosting area where they can upload anything. The main advantage of using our gallery is that you can add your image to posts anywhere on this site by clicking the "My Media" button in the editor (located slightly north-east of the image button in the picture I posted above) and then simply selecting the images you want to post. The end result is this...

Miraak - The First Dragonborn

It provides a small version with a link to the large version in the gallery. The lack of a full-size option is the one con of using the super easy "My Media" button (this will probably be fixed when I upgrade the site). Note that you can still post the full version by right-clicking the image in the gallery and getting the direct URL.

Common Issues

You know you have the correct type of URL / image link if it ends in something like .jpeg, .jpg, .png, or .gif.

http://i.imgur.com/zmv1lly.png

If it's just a regular link that ends in a page, such as...

... it won't work, because you're linking to a web page, not the image itself. Direct image links only!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I followed your instructions in the message you sent me above: I joined up with Imgur. I uploaded a pic to their site, then I clicked on that image, at which point the right-side options came up as you said they would (6 different options came up including Image Link and Direct link.). I then clicked on a link and it became highlighted in green, at which point I right clicked on that green highlight, then clicked on copy. I then pasted the copy onto the specified URL and of course clicked on ok at the bottom. As far as I can tell I did everything just like you said.... But nothing happened. And yes, they were links for the photo not for the imgur site itself because they ended in jpeg or image or something like that.

I tried this same procedure with each of the six link options on the right of the image in Imgur, and they all related directly to the picture, as far as I can tell. Still no go.... What am I doing wrong?

I didn't understand your request exactly, but here are the six links they gave me. Note that I just typed them out without any caps, except the last one:

WOW! I just wrote down all the codes, took me a few minutes, but your site wouldn't let me post it, and a little caption came up and said; YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THIS IMAGE EXTENTION ON THIS COMMUNITY.

So now what?

Yeah but I tried each link, one by one, and none of them happened for me. Which of the following link headings should it be under:

Image Link

Direct Link

Markdown Link

Hotmail

BBCode

Linked BBCode

They almost all end with jpg... I know it should be working, it just doesn't.

Have you ever considered setting up a simpler system that allows people to upload images from their computer like Imgur does?

David I've tried everything. I even made the image public on imgur to see if that would change things. No. I then found another way to bring up the links to the picture, but that didn't work either. I've gone through each link one by one both ways, and then again to make sure. I have no other options left. WTF?

Is it possible that I have restricted my access to what I can and cannot post on this site? I just cant see what I've been doing wrong.... I don't think I am doing anything wrong....

Is it easier for premium members? Can a premium member take things straight from their computer on this site, like on imgur? If so, how do I become a premium member?

And I still cant scroll up and down in console..... That doesn't make sense either... Did you have a look at the keyboard list settings I sent you regarding my lack of scrolling?

I'm very annoyed at my inability to do these two things. O, and making a fire for my fireplace as well.... No fire. Make that three things. Cant even find a mod for that one.

Yeah but I tried each link, one by one, and none of them happened for me. Which of the following link headings should it be under:

Image Link

Direct Link

Markdown Link

Hotmail

BBCode

Linked BBCode

They almost all end with jpg... I know it should be working, it just doesn't.

Have you ever considered setting up a simpler system that allows people to upload images from their computer like Imgur does?

You just have to copy the address that's in the "Direct Link" box and then paste it into to pop-up I talked about on this site.

This system is standard on every forum, and almost every user-content site for that matter. Facebook and other social media sites are the only ones that don't utilize it. However, there is an easier, social-media esque way to add images.

1. Hit "More Reply Options" when posting on the bottom right.
  2. Click "Choose Files" under the attach files heading, which is right under the post box.
  3. Select the image you want to post.
  4. When it's upload, hit "Add to Post"

David I've tried everything. I even made the image public on imgur to see if that would change things. No. I then found another way to bring up the links to the picture, but that didn't work either. I've gone through each link one by one both ways, and then again to make sure. I have no other options left. WTF?

Is it possible that I have restricted my access to what I can and cannot post on this site? I just cant see what I've been doing wrong.... I don't think I am doing anything wrong....

Is it easier for premium members? Can a premium member take things straight from their computer on this site, like on imgur? If so, how do I become a premium member?

And I still cant scroll up and down in console..... That doesn't make sense either... Did you have a look at the keyboard list settings I sent you regarding my lack of scrolling?

I'm very annoyed at my inability to do these two things. O, and making a fire for my fireplace as well.... No fire. Make that three things. Cant even find a mod for that one.

The only difference is that premium members can use this site to host images instead of imgur. You can become a premium member by visiting the "store" and buying a subscription. However, this may still give you the same issues that imgur is since the concept is the same.

I'll look at the Skyrim issues on their specific threads in a bit. :)

David, I just called my friend on the other side of the country, he is a master at computers, programming etc. And after I explained my image posting issue he told me that I'm actually doing nothing wrong and, because I'm doing everything right, there really isn't any advice he can offer either, because seeing that it is a very simple three step procedure there aren't really any other options on getting the procedure to work. So we are at a loss..... This could only happen to me. He did clutch at a few straws and suggest the very slim possibility that it is a glitch with Windows 8.1, or maybe a flaw with my browser, but he doubts it.

Buttons is very sad, very very very sad..... Buttons really wants to show people his houses as they are done.

By the way, the alternate Attach File option you suggested didn't work either. I can attach a file, of course, but I can not move it from the file attachment to the post itself..... Does that tell you anything?

Also, when I press OK on the URL image page, the little X beside the link disappears, but the screen remains transparent grey indefinitely, and the Cancel button doesn't do a damn thing. Maybe my Ok and Cancel connections don't work the way they are meant to?

By the way, the alternate Attach File option you suggested didn't work either. I can attach a file, of course, but I can not move it from the file attachment to the post itself..... Does that tell you anything?

Are you hitting the "Attach to Post" button? After you do that, something like...

[attachment=35:01ElIVX.gif]

Will be added to your post. That means it worked. You will see the image appear only when you then post / preview this.

Also, when I press OK on the URL image page, the little X beside the link disappears, but the screen remains transparent grey indefinitely, and the Cancelbutton doesn't do a damn thing. Maybe my Ok and Cancel connections don't work the way they are meant to?

I don't know what you're talking about here. What X? What browser are you using?

1) ok, yes, When doing the Attach File option I'm hitting the "Attach to post" button, of course. But I though it would come up before I post it.... Will try a demo post with my turtle picture to see if that works. (Unfortunately I am unable to post a pic with this method using the URL link option because the screen remains grey behind the URL page. And the CANCEL, beside the OK in the lower right-hand corner, doesn't work. So the only way to exit the URL page is to hit the backward Arrow, which takes me back to before I began the post.)

2) The x I'm talking about is the little x that appeared in the window with the URL link when its pasted. You know that window, the one we've been talking about: When you paste a link to the URL, a little x will come up at the right end of that little window next to the link. By clicking on that x you will delete the link, right? but when you hit ok, the little x goes away, at which point your pic is meant to be attached to the post.  Anyway, I don't think the x is important.... maybe

3) What's my browser you ask? Internet Explorer... I've got Google, do you think downloading Google Chrome would help? I can't see how.... Internet explorer shouldn't be an issue....? 

1. You can't use the attach image option with URL links. Instead, you select the file from you computer and upload it directly from there.

2. There shouldn't be any 'X'. Revisit the image in this post and make sure you're clicking the right button initially.

You should definitely not use Internet Explorer. It's absolutely horrible. Download and use Chrome instead. Maybe that really will fix this issue. Even if it doesn't, though, it's much better than IE. Alternatively Firefox is also very good.

• Upvote 1

Won't touch firefox, want to kill the person who started firefox, but will do the chrome and take it from there.

As for the little x in the box, yes, I know I'm doing everything right, exactly like that post you sent me. Absolutely, that is why I am baffled! You don't need to question my ability to follow those instructions. I've done it right from the beginning. There must be another issue preventing me. I thought earlier today that maybe the image was too large, too much data, but when I tried with a smaller picture it still didn't work, so I will try google chrome. ( you know the red arrow in that post that points to the window where you paste the link? that is where the x appears when I paste the link. I know... I'm doing it right. Will let you know how I go with Chrome.

1. You can't use the attach image option with URL links. Instead, you select the file from you computer and upload it directly from there.

2. There shouldn't be any 'X'. Revisit the image in this post and make sure you're clicking the right button initially.

You should definitely not use Internet Explorer. It's absolutely horrible. Download and use Chrome instead. Maybe that really will fix this issue. Even if it doesn't, though, it's much better than IE. Alternatively Firefox is also very good.

As you can see by the "reply directly to this quote" box above where i am writing, and the picture i have on the new post that you may want to delete, IT WORKS! I WAS DOING IT RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!! I'M SO HAPPY IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!! iNTERNET EXPLORER IS TO BLAME!!! INTERNET EXPLORER SUCKS SHIT! GOOGLE CHROME ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP DAVE! YOU THE MAN! WHO IS?? YOU IS!!!! YOU ISSSS THE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! Baby....

• Upvote 1