Hearthfire houses

CaitliN609

Question

I need some suggestions about each plot of land you can buy in Skyrim with the hearthfire dlc. Out of the three plots of land, dawnstar, falkreath, and morthal what house would you say is less prone to random attacks by bandits, giants and anything else that may attack. I know these attacks are random but is there any house that gets attacked less frequently? For example: I built one house already, the dawnstar one, and I never encountered a giant, and rarely any bandits. My biggest problem was the dawnstar as I had sided with the vampires. They seemed to have attacked almost every time I fast traveled. That's about it though, no dragons either. So I was wondering about the other two houses and if anyone else had good luck with the dawnstar house. I would like to build another house but I'd like to be prepared for what I'd have to deal with. I know it's the safest inside the city walls but I'd like to take advantage of the DLC. Also, what are your favorite wings for the house and in your opinion who is a good steward to hire? Do I have to worry about my spouse getting kidnapped a lot or dying?

Also, I've realized gathering all the material for building and furnishing the house is very expensive. I'm almost done my second house and I probably spent over 30000, mostly on ingots, logs, and stuff for the inside of the house. Money isn't really the issue as I can get it back pretty quick but it's kinda annoying that I'm down to like 8000. Anyone know of a cheaper way to build a house or is it just pricey and that's that?

Thanks for reading!

3 answers to this question

Hey Caitlin! Always fun isn't it? I have all three of those houses and personally I like to use them for three different purposes as well. My Lakeview House if for my family, two kids and a spouse I haven't chosen yet.... Hard times ;-) Lakeview has the best weather and arguably the best view, so in my opinion it is best to outlay the house with rooms that assist your purpose, but also allow a roof-balcony so you can go out and enjoy that view now and then. e.g. West Wing Bedroom and Alchemy Tower on the North provides the best view of the lake, and then the kitchen on the East wing because there is no balcony on the roof of the kitchen, which is good because there is no view to the East either. The problem with Lakeview is that I'm very often attacked by both Giants and Bandits.

2)  Heljarchen, located a few clicks North of Whiterun is used as my Armoury and trophy house. This works because the armoury has a balcony above and it is also located on the East Wing overlooking the better view. The weather at Heljarchen is almost always snowing, the opposite to Lakeview. I like all that snow because I live in the tropics out-of-game, so the snow is a refreshing change for me! The fact that it is always cold and snowing in Heljarchen also seems to make for a better place to have a type of Armoury/fortress. I also put my enchanters tower to the West and the trophy room to the North. On another note, I cant remember ever being attacked by giants or bandits there, so that's good.

3)Windstad Manor on the other hand is a little more seedy.... located on a swamp, although I do like the view. because it is a little seedy and swampy I use it for my Greenhouse on the west wing, a storage room for odd things to the North (which has a balcony for a view of solitude), and on the east wing I have a library.... I call Windstad my Seedy Research House. Something different about that joint is that you can have a fish farm down on the waterfront. And, of course, I've only been attacked a few times at Windstad, and one of those times was by those skeleton dudes.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks for the fast reply it was very informative and helpful! Although I think you have the two homes mixed up...heljarchen is in the snowy region and windstad is the swamp...I'm just worried about living outside of city walls, I don't want to come home to a dead spouse lol worrying about that kinda takes the fun away from making an epic house but oh we'll that's the risks of Skyrim lol thanks again for the help!

yeah, I corrected that now. I did have them mixed up. Bit of a rush about to have dinner at the time! 

To answer your question more specifically: I don't think you have to worry too much about your husband dying while your gone away. I had my cow killed by a giant once though, which made me really mad! And usually the attackers will come while you're at home. So it's all good.

The city houses are ok, I have them too, but they're a little small and restrictive. Again, I use them for different reasons. the Riften house for things obtained in the thieves guild, Windhelm to keep the weapons I get in the Dawnguard quests... Hell, I even keep the stuff I steal from my assassination victims in the master bedroom of the Dark Brotherhood. So on and so forth... blah blah blah.... in any case, There's a house for each occasion!

Have fun working it out!