Ok, so, another question i should probably know the answer to

Buttons

Question

1) When I turn my computer on and Steam comes up on screen, it shows all the achievements/trophies etc. The problem is that it is only showing the achievements of my former character, not the new one I've started playing with.... How do I change it over to my new characters achievements?

2) The last couple of days, playing on the pc, I will go into the map, or into picking a lock, and when I try to get out from the map or the lock-picking back to the game it wont work. The X button on my Xbox controller has mysteriously changed its function. So if I go onto the world map to sus out my position, then press X to return to the game, it will no longer return me to the game, instead it shows me a detailed map of my surroundings, or, if I am inside a structure at the time it will go from the inside map of the structure to the world map. In essence it leaves me with no other buttons to get me out of the map, or the lock-picking page, which in turn leaves me with no resolve but to unplug the Xbox controller and hit the Enter key on the keyboard. Alternatively I close down the game and restart it, which will bring it back to normal for a little while before it switches again.... It's extremely frustrating. Does anyone know what the problem is?

4 answers to this question

1. Achievements are attached to your Steam account, not Skyrim characters. If you unlock a Steam achievement on one character, it's unlocked for good -- the whole system is through Steam itself. If you REALLY wanted to go through the thrill of unlocking achievements again, you'd have to create a new STEAM account, re-buy Skyrim, and start from there.

2. Go to the system menu in Skyrim and look for something along the lines of "Controls" or "Controller Layout." Once there you'll be able to map whatever you want to the desired key/button.

1. Wait a minute! are you telling me that my new character already has the golden touch achievement because the previous character had it? Because I've gotta tell ya, I aint finding a great deal of gold around the joint! Well I hope the same isn't true for the perk you get after finishing the 24 Barenziah stones quest, because I just spent the last two days trying to get those 24 stones before level 12, at which point I wanna go in and make the best of guiding Meridias light through her stupid temple. (I went through the temple in about level 40 with my last character and found a load of gold and about 10 flawless diamonds! I would like to repeat that earlier in the game this time, you know?)

2. Dave, it isn't that I need to change my controller or remap it, the problem is that it will simply remap itself now and then. lets say I hit my activate button to start picking a lock, but then decide to exit the lock picking screen in order to put on some lock-picking enchanted clothing; in this case I would usually hit the X button and it will take me out of the lock-picking screen and back to the game, but sometimes when I try to exit, or if I'm trying to exit a map of Skyrim, the X button will have mysteriously changed its function and I wont be able to exit the screen.  You know what I'm saying?

1. Wait a minute! are you telling me that my new character already has the golden touch achievement because the previous character had it? Because I've gotta tell ya, I aint finding a great deal of gold around the joint! Well I hope the same isn't true for the perk you get after finishing the 24 Barenziah stones quest, because I just spent the last two days trying to get those 24 stones before level 12, at which point I wanna go in and make the best of guiding Meridias light through her stupid temple. (I went through the temple in about level 40 with my last character and found a load of gold and about 10 flawless diamonds! I would like to repeat that earlier in the game this time, you know?)

2. Dave, it isn't that I need to change my controller or remap it, the problem is that it will simply remap itself now and then. lets say I hit my activate button to start picking a lock, but then decide to exit the lock picking screen in order to put on some lock-picking enchanted clothing; in this case I would usually hit the X button and it will take me out of the lock-picking screen and back to the game, but sometimes when I try to exit, or if I'm trying to exit a map of Skyrim, the X button will have mysteriously changed its function and I wont be able to exit the screen.  You know what I'm saying?

1. Again, neither character has an achievement tied to them. It's tied to you as the player. You can only unlock these Steam achievements once, regardless of what character you use. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from attempting them still -- you just won't get the "Achievement Unlocked!" pop-up. In the case of the Barenziah stones, that's an actual quest in the game, so you'll still get the in-game quest reward and the "Prowler's Profit" effect.

2. I've never heard of that, but I've never played the game on PC with a controller. Don't think I can be of much help. Just note that in some menus, such as the map, buttons have different functions tied to them by design. For example, your in-game sprint button won't do the same thing on the map overlay (you knew this, just illustrating what I'm saying).

2. I think what your saying is that you cant see how this could be happening if the mapped functions are isolated/independent of each other, which in affect strengthens my concern. Still, it didn't happen yesterday when I was playing.... so maybe it was just a one-day thing. Or maybe I buggered the controller when I punched it out of frustration a few weeks ago (stupid wolves kept killing my horse when I thought every animal in all of skyrim decided to attack me at once), then I dropped it on the tiled floor a few days ago. But then again they are made to take a bit of punishment from kids and such. I guess I will just play it by ear.