Shadowmere gone

Guest Hunter

Question

I was in a Stormcloak liberation mission at one of the forts. I was fighting and jumped on a horse, while Shadowmere was fighting. I continued with the game play and I can no longer find Shadowmere. I went to the forts, and looked, and fast traveled and he hasn't shown up. I play on a Xbox 360. Also, after taking over solitude, I had the house in Solitude. So I talked to my wife to come follow me, and she says I already have one. I do not have one, and the game won't let me add another follower

10 answers to this question

Have you yet been responsible for relocating the Dark Brotherhood location? If so, you might find that Shadowmere has returned to the old location and is hanging around the forest nearby. after I moved the Dark brotherhood hideout I found shadowmere hanging around the old place fighting some dudes. Otherwise, I don't believe you can own that horse, so he is going to be easy to lose.... especially if you are jumping around on other horses!

Otherwise, if you have had followers in the past, but have left them behind after telling them to "wait here", then you need to find that follower again, who may have returned to their home by this point, then ask them to follow you again before you have to ask them to "part ways", not "wait here". Then you can go get your wife.

Don't know any more than that but hope this helps.

I went to the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary by Falkreath and even tried the one by Dawnstar since I have completed that quest. No where to be found. I think he is gone :(

As for the follower, I only ever have my wife. So it's either her, or I'm by myself. So nobody was a follower when I attacked Solitude with Ulfric, and after I succeeded, I asked her and had no luck. It may have to do with Ulfric and Galmar somewhat being followers? Or she was a NPC and the town was supposed to be deserted, and she couldn't "leave". Anyways, I'm doing the Companion missions now so I'm hoping that I get to a part where it says "your follower cannot accompany you here" and it fixes itself.

I may try going through all the Forts again, because I wasn't too thorough, but I never really used Shadowmere anyways. He was just nice to take a few hits because I play on legendary.

I don't know if Shadowmere can die... I assume so. then again maybe not. You might find his body there. But my horse, Frost, died a few times before I console coded him to be immortal. but by your question im guessing your playing xbox? I'm playing legendary edition too (pc). You're doing Companions? Hope you like becoming a werewolf. I prefer being a werewolf than a vampire. Never liked the whole vampire thing much.

If you want a good horse do the mission that gets you Frost. he's cool and doesn't run away a much as the horses you can buy. But he still runs away now and then. funny.

Anyway, you've inspired me: I've built my 3 hearthfire homes so now im gonna go get a husband and some kids for my DawnStar Property. Best view!

Shadowmere

There are two ways to find a Shadowmere that is merely missing and not dead.

1. Fast travel to a location (excluding places a horse can't follow you) and see if he appears with you.
  2. If the above doesn't work, he has stopped following you. Check the black pool near the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary where you originally received him.

You said you already did those two things. I'm just reiterating for other people who may find this thread looking for help.

Now, if Shadowmere has died (which is possible in Skyrim, unlike Oblivion), he will respawn at the black pool near the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary after 10 in-game days. It sounds like this may be you. Caveat -- there is a known bug where this does not happen. If that's the case, your only option is reloading a previous save. For this reason, it's probably wise for you to simply use the in-game wait function for 10 consecutive days to see if Shadowmere does indeed appear. Otherwise you run the risk of wasting several hours of playtime only to run into a save-negating bug (unless you decide to continue sans-Shadowmere).

Followers

Try the suggestions in this thread. The one marked "best answer" is not the only one that works -- many of Blake's are good. As a last resort you can make them join the Blades, as he suggested.