I can't buy Vigilance (dog)

Lyra

Question

I can't buy Vigilance for some reason. I heard you have to buy him from Banning but no matter what time of day it is, he just isn't there! I check everyday and been checking but he still isn't there. Can you help me please? Is this some sort of glitch? Thank you! 

5 answers to this question

He's in different places depending on his schedule.

• He wakes up at 6am to have breakfast.
  • At 8am, he heads outside to tend to his dogs outside for a long twelve hours.
  • He can be found inside the stables at any other time, going to bed at midnight.

With that said, there's only a small chance you could have missed him since he's in the same place for almost the entire day. There's a better chance he's dead. Check out the Hall of the Dead in Markarth to make sure he isn't deceased.

Do you play on the PC or consoles?

You probably killed Banning without realising. Vigilance is a cool dog! worth obtaining.

Actually, I bought Vigilance at night when Banning was sitting and drinking at home, and Banning also had a bad habit of calling the dog stupid, which I didn't like very much, so I offered to buy the cute pooch.

Keep in mind that Vigilance doesn't have a lot of health so I tell him to "wait here" until I've cleared an area, but I do let him fight with me on smaller battles. I let him kill all the wolves as well, because the wolves annoy me and turn up at the worse possible times. It use to be that Vigilance came into every battle with me but he died a lot that way and I spent a lot of time going back to previous save points to bring him back. Of course then I quite often had to do the mission all over again. But he is worth it! 

By the way, if you tell him to "wait here" at any time, don't make him wait too long or he will walk home to where you found him. Then you may not be able to purchase him again... so I hear.

On a different note, Lyra, Are you the same Lyra  that plays chess online? If so, I'm still waiting for that rematch.... :-)

Thank you guys very much for the help. And yeah, I think I bought him once and wanted Meeko to follow me but then Vigilance went back. I don't know if I saved or loaded it or not but I think I did buy him once. Also, I check inside for Banning but he's never there. I will check at the hall of dead like you said. I have PS3 version. And sadly, I'm not the Lyra you're looking for.