Administrator Seeking Oracle

David

Or maybe a psychiatrist.

I have an extremely vivid recurring dream in which my dream-self, standing before a mirror, begins slowly wiggling a tooth. At first, the tooth only gives slightly more than would usually be expected -- but after another wiggle, it gives more and more. In a panic, I begin wiggling my other teeth to see if this is an isolated issue. Soon 6 of my teeth are all a touch away from completely breaking off from my jaw or shattering.

The teeth are always the same.

The first tooth I notice is always the lower-left first bicuspid. 5 teeth follow it, all on the lower jaw -- first bicuspid to the second molar on each side of my mouth. That's 6 teeth in total. I usually wake-up before I find more destroyed teeth, but for some reason I inherently *know* that the top 6 teeth in the same position will break too.

I touch one of the teeth just enough so that it falls out, either all at once or in 4-6 small pieces. I immediately panic and consider finding a dentist; during this thought I manage to ruin a second tooth by slightly grazing it with my tongue. At this point, I'm starting to wake up as I'm running around and the other 4 teeth are pretty much dissolving out of my mouth.

I wanted to become a dentist.

Thoughts, prophecies, and prescriptions?

You have done the right thing telling me about this. As it just so happens, one of my many colorful personas is that of an accredited psychologist. Take a seat.

Now, David. Tell me about your mother. Be very detailed. Very. Detailed.

Alright, alright... I'm too smart for the likes of this bullshit. I have a real answer.

If you had been pulling your own teeth out, I would think it was guilt, but, no, you claim they fall off. I believe you suffer from repressed fear. The fact that your subconscious is making you experience visualizations that bring anxiousness despite the lack of physical or imagined pain signifies that an inner anxiety is present. I believe you are not aware of it, because you do not want to believe that you are weak, but when, in fact, you do have very real doubts, and your subconscious knows it. These fears manifest themselves as the horror of falling teeth. As to why your subconscious chose falling teeth, I cannot say. Neurology isn't an exact science. Nevertheless, when a dream is created, it is possible that the emotional triggers originally present may induce the same visualization multiple times throughout subsequent sleep sessions.

So, tell me, boy, what do you fear?

christian-bale1.jpg

It's okay. You can tell me.