The Cost of the Elder Scrolls Online

ESO Cost  

76 members have voted

1. 1. ESO's costs will include the $60 game, a $15 monthly subscription, and a cash shop. Do you feel this is excessive?

• Yes. I'll still definitely pay it, though.
    • Yes. It's causing me to reconsider the game.
    • No. It's definitely worth it.

The cost is what seems to be inciting most of the negative opinions on YouTube and many other forums. At ~$240+ per year, I can't say I blame all of them. Will ESO be able to succeed with what many believe is an outdated pricing model?

WoW uses essentially the same payment model, but it's also a proven commodity that has dominated the MMO market for 10 years and has an enormous lead in content quantity, if not quality.

I myself will likely wait a bit to see if the initial price decreases (plus the release coincides with exams).

I think a 1-time payment would have been a better option, similar to Guild Wars, along with chunks of paid DLC every couple of months. Then again, I don't know what this game will cost to upkeep, so maybe the high price is necessary. We'll see, but unless their payment model changes, I'm going to sit out this one.

I myself will likely wait a bit to see if the initial price decreases (plus the release coincides with exams).

Same. My state exams and such will be over late June, so, I'm just going to wait after that. No point getting the game if I can't play it. And at least, if my exams are done, it will also be summer = perfect opportunity to no life that free one month. Price should be done a bit by then? Hopefully.

I don't really see what gamers are complaining about in this case. In avrage I probably buy 1 game/month or more. While I'm playing and paying a subscribtion fee for a game I enjoy I won't need to buy other games. Looking at it this way most of you will probably save money while you are playing ESO.

And yes GW2 payment method was "better", but that is the only MMO using this method and still manage to give decent service/patches. I'd say its the exception, not the rule.

Lucas +1

Just a quick question on this topic, for those who will play ESO on say the xbox one, still have to pay this monthly fee? (Seeing as Xbox live already costs a monthly fee) Or is it purely for those on computers? (Which wouldnt be particularly fair to that part of the community)

Just a quick question on this topic, for those who will play ESO on say the xbox one, still have to pay this monthly fee? (Seeing as Xbox live already costs a monthly fee) Or is it purely for those on computers? (Which wouldnt be particularly fair to that part of the community)

Zenimax is currently in active negotiations with xbox and playstation. It is likely that pc users will pay a bit more than xbox and playstation players, as zenimax would like to compensate your extra costs. However, its not set in stone yet.

About the cash shop... it's only to change the name and things like that, not buy items, skills etc. It's kinda missjudge.

What worries me about this is the PvP side of things. We all know griefers and all around Dbags exist in PvP settings. Seems if the above quoted is indeed the case, it will only lend to such griefers having unlimited access to resetting their bad reputations and starting all over with little reprocussions other than a fee to do so.

Imo ppl that havn't played any beta or seen it in action cant jude it! They game isn't even done yet and i see more and more ppl jude it haha.Played both ESO betas and I can say it will be worth it!

I'm not saying it will be a bad game by any means, but $15 dollars a months is INCREDIBLY steep, no matter how good the game is. This goes double for their target audience, PC gamers, who are used to picking up games for $5-$10 in Steam sales in most of their shopping.

Do you last a month on a $15 game? i certainly dont. For this $15 eso will give you a HUGE amount of HIGH QUALITY entertainment, and WILL expand.

Yeah, it's definitely worth it, but it's still a nice chunk of money after paying full price for the game in the first place. Maybe you don't last a month on a $15 game (which I can only assume is coming from a console perspective, because $15 games on Steam would certainly last more than a month), but would you last a few months on a $60 tripe A title? It's hugely subjective on what you like.

Again, worth it, but I still feel they would do just fine with a lower fee - Not like they are lacking a fan-base or anything...

I'll never understand the disucssion about the monthly fee. Every Singelplayergame is done in 14 days. And nearly every of it costs 50€. Therefore playing for 13€ a wohle month i dont see any problems :)

p2p mmo are imho still the best. gw2 ist just like a big proof b2p isnt the best option, (expect if u like to buy everyday new skins :>)