Photo

The Sorcerer Thread

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Mad King

Mad King

• 3 Posts

I have been playing around with a melee sorcerer build since the last beta. This is my build so far, please let me know any critiques. 

Race Khajiit, for increased critical damage and melee critical chance
Armor: 5 Medium / 2 Heavy 

Weapon 1: Two hand

I. Critical Charge- Always hits with critical damage, combined with surge provides a self heal
II. Momentum - Damage
III. Lightning Form- Increased armor & resistance 
IV. Encase- CC + Exploitation (increased Crit chance)
V. Bound Armor- Armor plus increased heavy damage with morph

Ult: Storm  Atronach 

Weapon 2: Bow

I. Surge- Increased damage + critical hits provide health
II. Snipe- High damage + reduces targets healing with morph 
III. Immovable- Increased armor & resistance 
IV. Mages Fury - Final death blow
V. Bound Armor- same as first bar
Ult: Negate Magic

The idea is to have either Immovable or Lightning Form up

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]I have been playing around with a melee sorcerer build since the last beta. This is my build so far, please let me know any critiques. [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"] [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Race Khajiit, for increased critical damage and melee critical chance[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Armor: 5 Medium / 2 Heavy [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Weapon 1: Two hand[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]I. Critical Charge- Always hits with critical damage, combined with surge provides a self heal[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]II. Momentum - Damage[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]III. Lightning Form- Increased armor & resistance [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]IV. Encase- CC + Exploitation (increased Crit chance)[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]V. Bound Armor- Armor plus increased heavy damage with morph[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Ult: Storm  Atronach [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Weapon 2: Bow[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]I. Surge- Increased damage + critical hits provide health[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]II. Snipe- High damage + reduces targets healing with morph [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]III. Immovable- Increased armor & resistance [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]IV. Mages Fury - Final death blow[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]V. Bound Armor- same as first bar[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Ult: Negate Magic[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]The idea is to have either Immovable or Lightning Form up[/font]

Looks strong, but I don't think you need to use 2 heavy armor. 7 Medium would be better for this build.

Make sure you're using Critical Surge on your Bar#1-- all that crit (and especially crit charge) synergizes amazingly with Crit Surge. (As Theory said a few pages back.)

drock

drock

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]I have been playing around with a melee sorcerer build since the last beta. This is my build so far, please let me know any critiques. [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]Race Khajiit, for increased critical damage and melee critical chance[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]I. Critical Charge- Always hits with critical damage, combined with surge provides a self heal[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]III. Lightning Form- Increased armor & resistance [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]IV. Encase- CC + Exploitation (increased Crit chance)[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]V. Bound Armor- Armor plus increased heavy damage with morph[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]I. Surge- Increased damage + critical hits provide health[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]II. Snipe- High damage + reduces targets healing with morph [/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif;"]The idea is to have either Immovable or Lightning Form up[/font]

I really like the idea of combining with a bow in a soc 2hand build!  I think my one critique would be to get rid of bound armor.  I don't think you will be able to get many heavy attacks anyhow and would be better off with something like Daedric Curse.

drockh

drockh

One thing I am interested in is would Rune Prison be a better option than Encase?  Rune Prison is 42 Magicka with 15.1 second duration and 3 second stun when it ends while Encase is 70 magicka and 4.5 immobilize with 4 second snare.  Rune Prison is a way cheaper option and if someone didn't have CC break you could essentially keep the locked in place after each Heavy Attack.

BigSteel

BigSteel

• 86 Posts

One thing I am interested in is would Rune Prison be a better option than Encase?  Rune Prison is 42 Magicka with 15.1 second duration and 3 second stun when it ends while Encase is 70 magicka and 4.5 immobilize with 4 second snare.  Rune Prison is a way cheaper option and if someone didn't have CC break you could essentially keep the locked in place after each Heavy Attack.

CCs are followed by an immunity. From the add-on buff bars, it appears to me that the immunity is 5 seconds long.

Rune Prison can and will be interrupted by heady players.  Encase is instant and effects multiple players.

Mad King

Mad King

• 3 Posts

Looks strong, but I don't think you need to use 2 heavy armor. 7 Medium would be better for this build.

Make sure you're using Critical Surge on your Bar#1-- all that crit (and especially crit charge) synergizes amazingly with Crit Surge. (As Theory said a few pages back.)

I chose to include heavy only for immovable but switching immovable for evasion or purge could be a better build. 

I really like the idea of combining with a bow in a soc 2hand build!  I think my one critique would be to get rid of bound armor.  I don't think you will be able to get many heavy attacks anyhow and would be better off with something like Daedric Curse.

I like daedric curse however, it is very magicka intensive and I would need that for lightning form, surge and encase. I could use winged twilight with the magicka regeneration morph or entropy for a second heal. 

BigSteel

BigSteel

• 86 Posts

Cant he just swap, cast, and swap back?  Its a buff (not a toggle) so it will stay in effect its duration.

drockh

drockh

I chose to include heavy only for immovable but switching immovable for evasion or purge could be a better build. 

I like daedric curse however, it is very magicka intensive and I would need that for lightning form, surge and encase. I could use winged twilight with the magicka regeneration morph or entropy for a second heal. 

Maybe something else would be better?  The problem I see with Bound Armor is that it never really scales up(Maybe that will change?).  The Armor bonus may be important at lower levels but at Max level is an extra 14 Armor.I know the additional bonus is 11% to heavy attack but is it worth it?  Maybe for Bows but I just can't decide if something else in that line is better like Winged Twilight.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

Maybe something else would be better?  The problem I see with Bound Armor is that it never really scales up(Maybe that will change?).  The Armor bonus may be important at lower levels but at Max level is an extra 14 Armor.I know the additional bonus is 11% to heavy attack but is it worth it?  Maybe for Bows but I just can't decide if something else in that line is better like Winged Twilight.

The armor scales up, if you are refering to esohead than let me tell you that they have quite a few wrong values in their system.

drockh

drockh

The armor scales up, if you are refering to esohead than let me tell you that they have quite a few wrong values in their system.

Yep Thanks that was where I saw it and figure it is possible that they just had it incorrect.  In terms of PvP then I would say that would make Bound Armor the better option than say Winged Twilight. 

Stush

Stush

• 6 Posts

The general consensus on this other forum  http://tamrielfoundr...sorcerer-class/ is that for a sorcerer, the best attribute distribution is:

0 Magicka

49 health

0 stamina

In this forum, that doesn't seem to be the prevailing consensus.  I'm wondering if anyone has a counter-argument to 0 Magicka/49 health?

From reading through the posts and replies, there seems to be two reasons mentioned (summarizing):  (1)  It's easy to hit the magicka soft cap via many means, so might as well spend the attribute points on health. (2) it's overall more effective to raise magicka via enchants and health via attribute increases than the other way around.

Now granted since you always can respec, I guess it isn't too important to allocate your points optimally the first time. And what is optimal could of course change through any patch that tweaks caps or costs.

Hence, I also want to pose the following the question to this forum.  Given that one can always respec at level 50 when (presumably) the mechanics will be stable and well understood, what would be the best allocation of attributes points at game launch levels 1-49?

While I like the idea of high health, I worry that without a constant investment in gear to stay at near the magicka soft cap,  spell effectiveness and "mana" pool size would suffer too much.

drock

drock

The general consensus on this other forum  http://tamrielfoundr...sorcerer-class/ is that for a sorcerer, the best attribute distribution is:

0 Magicka

49 health

0 stamina

In this forum, that doesn't seem to be the prevailing consensus.  I'm wondering if anyone has a counter-argument to 0 Magicka/49 health?

From reading through the posts and replies, there seems to be two reasons mentioned (summarizing):  (1)  It's easy to hit the magicka soft cap via many means, so might as well spend the attribute points on health. (2) it's overall more effective to raise magicka via enchants and health via attribute increases than the other way around.

Now granted since you always can respec, I guess it isn't too important to allocate your points optimally the first time. And what is optimal could of course change through any patch that tweaks caps or costs.

Hence, I also want to pose the following the question to this forum.  Given that one can always respec at level 50 when (presumably) the mechanics will be stable and well understood, what would be the best allocation of attributes points at game launch levels 1-49?

While I like the idea of high health, I worry that without a constant investment in gear to stay at near the magicka soft cap,  spell effectiveness and "mana" pool size would suffer too much.

I think it probably is the prevailing consensus here too with the way soft caps currently work at least in PvP builds.  I will be shocked if it doesn't change since they already made a slight adjustment by making each health point worth 15 instead of 20.

Wade

Wade

• 1 Posts

hi

you talk a lot of battlemage but not a real mage distance

What do you think of this build ?

bar1: 1h+shield

-Rune Cage

-Crystal fragments

-Streak

-Endless Fury

-Inner Light

ulti:Atronach

Bar2: aoe, Destruction Staff

-Pulsar

-Restraining Prison

-Lightning Flood

-Daedric Mines

-Inner Light

ulti:Bat Swarm (vampir)

Tetator

Tetator

• 9 Posts

I started from your proposal and updated it slightly, for discussion purpose : 

Weapon 1: Two hand
I. Critical Charge- Always hits with critical damage, combined with surge provides a self heal
II. Momentum - Damage
III. Winged Twilight
IV.Final Death Blow : Either Mages Fury or Reverse Slash
V. Bound Armor- Armor plus increased heavy damage with morph

Purpose is to put on this first bar everything that could not be cast/kept from the second bar. Indeed, should 2nd weapon be a bow for exemple, then you could not cast Critical Charge nor Momentum ==> Must be on the first bar.
Same for winged Twilight and Bound armor that are Toggled and thus would not remain if cast from 2nd bar.
Regarding Final Death Blow, i'm wondering between the 2. Reverse Slash seems stronger but would mean a 3rd Stamina oriented capacity in this bar, and we know we need 50% stamina for CC break ... Thus pointing out to Mages Fury as best ... Not sure tho

On the 2nd bar i put then what can be used as buff or defensive skills and remains afterwards :
Surge
Encase
Evasion
Snipe

Your thoughts ?

Onyxius

Onyxius

• 4 Posts

is it just me or is all the html code showing the tags and not actually working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com